Touch Interface
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Touch Interface

Default Touch Interface

Now that Apple has shown us how it's done with the iPod Touch and the iPhone, we need an LCD Touch screen up front that takes care of all auxilliary controls. Radio (HD, XM/Sirius), climate controls, outside temp, compass, etc, all need to consolidated on one easy to reach touch screen, interior lights, with no knobs on the dash. External lights should be automatic with light (like my monte carlo) and rain sensors.

I'm a big gadget fan, so besides the chance to drive an electric vehicle, I'd love to have the controls look like nothing else we've seen in today's cars.

I agree with that!

Default No Touch

I definately do not want a touch display, I want something with tactile feedback so that I can feel that I am hitting a button, or turning a dial, that way you don't have to look at what your hand is doing instead of looking at the road.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Now that Apple has shown us how it's done with the iPod Touch and the iPhone, we need an LCD Touch screen up front that takes care of all auxilliary controls. Radio (HD, XM/Sirius), climate controls, outside temp, compass, etc, all need to consolidated on one easy to reach touch screen, interior lights, with no knobs on the dash. External lights should be automatic with light (like my monte carlo) and rain sensors.

I'm a big gadget fan, so besides the chance to drive an electric vehicle, I'd love to have the controls look like nothing else we've seen in today's cars.

I have a Prius. I thought that the touch panel on the Prius would be a cool interface - it's my least favorite feature on the Prius. The touch panel is awkward to use but not necessarily poorly designed. Give me old-fashioned button and knobs for AC control, etc.

Default maybe we can have both

I have to agree with Kevin K and rca19 of this in that most touch screens can be high maintenance. But you also have to consider the number of features that could be made available to the user is you have a touch screen interface. So I was thinking, what the heck, have both.

You can have the tactile buttons on the console or on the steering wheel. These will control simple things, and more over things you need to control while paying attention to the road, stereo volume, song track, mirror adjustment, a/c temp, cruise control, etc.. The touch screen can deal with complex input. like organizing play lists, route planning, adjusting threshold for when the ICE will turn on, sorting through mp3s for your horn, etc.. You could even make some or all of those buttons and knobs customizable.

Default Something we can agree on

NLH wins, perfect solution!

This is already one of the options with Onstar GPS Nav and then Media entertainment Options and climate control and a away to schedule Pre-heat the passenger cabin in winter before you get in the car and a whole slew of things
    Posted by the Live Wire Mikro

Default Kiss

Every layer of complexity, exponentially increases the number of things that can go wrong. AT LEAST INITIALLY, I'd vote for whatever method is the most bulletproof (Keep It Simple Sweetheart).
    God Bless,
    Tag

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    I definately do not want a touch display, I want something with tactile feedback so that I can feel that I am hitting a button, or turning a dial, that way you don't have to look at what your hand is doing instead of looking at the road.
    When reaching for a control with tactile feedback, I find myself glancing momentarily at the control as I reach for it. Does anyone else do this? Just curious!

12. Advertisement

Default Touch screen

Quote Originally Posted by Estero View Post
    When reaching for a control with tactile feedback, I find myself glancing momentarily at the control as I reach for it. Does anyone else do this? Just curious!
    Sure do, but I used to actively WATCH my daughter's Prius screen. Even when I was driving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text