240V Charging Station
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 240V Charging Station

Default 240V Charging Station

Does anyone know if one needs a a 200A circuit breaker for a 240V charging station? Right now mine is a100A but the A/C can trip it occasionally on a hot summer day. I could do a cheap upgrade to 125A but it would be wasted money if a 200A is required for the 240V charging station. I guess I'd probably be charging at night when the A/C wouldn't be running so leaning towards the cheaper alternative unless one tells me I need the 200A breaker.

Thanks!

Default 200A should not be required

I believe that the 240V line must be able to handle 30A and is very similar to an electric dryer. That does not mean it is wise to just plug it into a dryer outlet. Generally you want an additional circuit that has nothing else on it. Now, if your master service breaker is close to its limit (does it ever trip now?) then you would want to upgrade it. Seems unlikely that you would need to double the capacity. Keep in mind that the most desirable time to charge the Volt is the middle of the night when not much else is drawing electricity.

It's really a question of how much of that 100A you are actually using now and if you have the capacity for 30A more. I have a 100A main breaker at home, and charged my MINI E at 32A for a year without it ever tripping a breaker, even when the Air conditioner, TV, dryer and lights were all on.
    If you are already tripping the Main Breaker with your airconditioner and other things on then you probably dont have the capacity, but if your only tripping the air conditioner's breaker not the main, you may have capacity.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Default Don't guess - measure!

I am going to measure my draw tonight!
    After activating the most power hungry devices, I'll go outside and take a look at the meter.
    My meter is labeled "7.2h" which means that one revolution of the wheel indicates that 7.2 Wh has been consumed. If I time how long it takes for one revolution, I can calculate total power being drawn (then calculate the current).
    7.2Wh/time (in hours) = total power in watts.
    Power/240V=current in amps (I'll measure actual voltage at an outlet)

Ex. If it takes the wheel 5 seconds to go around, that means it takes .00138 of an hour to use 7.2Wh. 7.2Wh/.00138h=5184W.
    5184W/240V=21.6A

Default Thanks for the info

I knew someone would answer my question sooner or later so appreciate it.

Default Not enough

After turning on my: pool filter; oven; stovetop (1 burner); 4 ACs; dryer; washer - my draw was 67A. And I still had other stuff that I didn't turn on.
    I don't think my 100A service will cut it. Oh well, it was time to replace that 60 year old fuse box anyway.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text