GM Volt Forum banner

OBD2 and Vold PIDs for Android Torque in GoogleDoc

151K views 143 replies 68 participants last post by  BarryD 
#1 · (Edited)
There are various other threads discussing OBD2 and PIDs and such. The Other threads have pointed to my personal csv file for downloading but I'm not positive I've incorporated everyone's feedback/comments. So I decided it would better to make this more public so I've moved all my Volt PIDs into a shared Google docs that everyone can read/edit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvK9F6VeA7dvdFUwSjBzR2FQM1BJTWZoLW43ZFdoTFE#gid=0

If you have used these PID and "validated" or have better calibrations for any unknown fields please update the spreadsheet linked above.

Discussion about some calibration processess and data fitting can be found in this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?12958-CAN-bus-reading-remote-viewing-of-charge-state

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Update:
How to get started using OBD2/Torque to get your own kWh meter.

Get an OBD2 Scanner with ELM327.. many choices on ebay . I've had best luck with VGATE branded ones (blue) with only 1 bad out of 6 bought. Cost is 15-30$ depending on what you get and how fast.

Get an android phone or tablets. Don't need the phoen to work so if on a budget an old phone (I've used G1s) or a phone with a bad EIN (so not really a phone any more) are good low cost options. A 7" or 10" tablet gives you more room for your screen.

Get Torque Pro from the Google Play store (You'll need the non-free $5 "pro" version to use custom PIDs which you'll need)

Plug the OBD2 connector under the left side of drivers dash. Enable bluetooth on the phone, start torque. Make sure it connects to device.

Follow the instructions on the "Notes" tab of the google doc to load the custom Volt PIDs. You might want to check back to get updates every now and then.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry man, but the document is completely read only.

#4 ·
My bad, was edit only for directly shares. Fixed so everyone can now edit.

this ROCKS!! I wish though we could find the A/C compressor RPM and Commanded drive.. . looks like it is a valid PID.. as well as high and low side tenperatures....just dont know the torque commands for them.
-Christopher

Don't know/care much about AC I used mine when I bought it in TX, don't think I've used it in the 18 months since.
What do you mean by commanded drive?

Do you have any PID references from other vehicles for what you seek?
AC should be pretty easy to test now.. (It was too cold earlier in the year to force it on but with temps in the 80s now I might be able to get it to turn on/off which should make identifying it easy).

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
There are various other threads discussing OBD2 and PIDs and such. The Other threads have pointed to my personal csv file for downloading but I'm not positive I've incorporated everyone's feedback/comments. So I decided it would better to make this more public so I've moved all my Volt PIDs into a shared Google docs that everyone can read/edit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvK9F6VeA7dvdFUwSjBzR2FQM1BJTWZoLW43ZFdoTFE#gid=0

If you have used these PID and "validated" or have better calibrations for any unknown fields please update the spreadsheet linked above.

Discussion about some calibration processess and data fitting can be found in this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?12958-CAN-bus-reading-remote-viewing-of-charge-state
this ROCKS!! I wish though we could find the A/C compressor RPM and Commanded drive.. . looks like it is a valid PID.. as well as high and low side tenperatures....just dont know the torque commands for them.
-Christopher

#9 ·
I am looking for these as well, due to the fact that when the A/C compressor is running for the battery while in fan only it doesn't report it's usage on the climate control power ball, even though you feel the cold air coming through the vents. I have also noticed that if the A/C compressor comes on for the battery in fan only mode it pulls as much power as it would in comfort mode, whereas if you put it in eco it forces it to pull at the lower rate.

#6 ·
Great! Thanks

As an electrical engineer that loves details (a necessity in my job) I have some remarks:

Column 6, I changed the units from A to V as it is Volts we talking about (!! HV Volt)

To be technically correct '!! MGB Amps' should be changed in '!! MGB Current' of course same for MGA. Agree?

In the same way " !! MGA W" should be " !! MGA P", P stands for Power, unit is W.

And if we are nitpicking, kph is not correct, it should be kmh coming from km/h. Although this could be a regional difference of course.

Something else:
Today I was at the Chevrolet garage for the first service of my Volt, no issues whatsoever, by the way. I showed the Torque app. The person at the garage did not know it yet. He really liked it. I told him that we did not have all codes yet. He said: 'but we do!' He went off to the back. One minute later he came back telling me that they do not have the codes either :-( They connect the volt to the internet and upload the codes to Chevrolet and get a report back. Too bad.... he was willing to get some missing codes for me!

#7 ·
Correct away.. i agree, I was being lazy naming by units. (And amps is shorter than current and fits in smaller boxes.

The error codes have most/all of (also in the long term goal to add a reader for he OBD2 that translates codes to english descriptions) but that is lower than most of my other goals

#10 ·
PID Identification.

I have located the PID's for PRNDL and Transmission Pressure. Transmission Pressure is neat to watch when the vehicle is changing modes.

I also believe I have located the Battery Valve Position PID, but I haven't verified it yet. I think I have located the PID that indicates the High Voltage Contactor status, but I haven't figured out how to verify that.

#11 ·
Thanks PG.. and I agree with your comment on the .5 vs the .48 but someone else did a calibration that seemed convincing and produce .48. But your comments about other losses, where were not accounted for in the calibration, are probably the reason. I expect the constants to be simple, but only if we are using the right units so I figured they might be right and it was a combined scaling and unit conversion.

#12 ·
Just finished generating every possible extended PID, there are 65,535 possible test points spread across at least five modules, time to get to work.

#13 ·
Just a word of caution.. probing some PID (or maybe probing too fast) has been known to cause that required a hard reset/tow. (I did not find the thread on a quick search).

#15 ·
Dumb newbie question. Is there a format to adding the modeandPID in Torque? I just entered the hex numeric shown in the spreadsheet and I'm thinking I need to add a mode also. I'm not getting any values for the electric power consumption/regen but I'm getting everything else.

#16 ·
You add the ModeAndPID number ash showsn (Column c). the Mode is the first 2 digits of the number (and if its only a 4 digit number than the mode is still the first 2 digitis,so 015D is mode 01, field 5D. Mode 22 had longer PID numbers) But you also need to set the OBD Header (column H).

Note some of the are "virutal PID", so Column C is empty and then you have to have the entries for the elements of the formula, e.g.
!! MGB Power,MGB W,,[222886]*[222884],-4000,4000,W,7e1

is virtual and requires that you have defined formulas for PID 222866 and 222884, (MBG current and power)

By far the easier way to get these is to save read the "note" tab and follow instructions to load the whole spreadsheet into torque, then you can just select which ones you like.

#19 ·
Should be able to see the notes in the google doc online. CSV saves only the current sheet, but to load into torque you want csv (not excel).

#26 · (Edited)
Fixed.. it was W/Mileph, not kW/mile per hour .. so off by 1000. Now it has both W/mph and kW/mile per hour

ALso if you were at 0 mph, then the formula was trying to avoid /0 (but adding .01) which might be the issue. I fixed that too so it may show Infinity

#24 ·
Why is the Inst. Power defined as [222429]*[222414]*.96? I am curious why the 0.96 factor comes from. The 2 codes are for the current and voltage. So the power is [222429]*[222414] and nothing else, this is what you are using! If you want to take the losses into account it might be better to define a losses parameter, like [222429]*[222414]*0.04

#25 · (Edited)
The .96 cam from an overall calibration run (not by me), and it was a better fit to the data, but I think that was also with other parms on the Current PIDs as .052 vs the .05 being used now.. the calibration may have ignored other losses and then added the .96 to balance out in the end. I'll remove the .96 to keep more "pure"

#28 ·
Formula is
[222429]*[222414]/([220000D]+.01)/1000

So its instant power (W or kW) / mph (or /km/h). so I guess its actually W/mph or W/km/h

I noticed you had display with Infinity.. I guess frm that that torque haneles /0 well (I added the .01 to avoid it)

#31 ·
I just wanted to say thank you to tboult and all the other contributors on the PID spreadsheet. I successfully loaded the spreadsheet in to Torque. I'm most interested in the SOC reading and I find that displaying the raw number from 0 to 255 is more meaningful than the percentage. I also tweaked my SOC (Usable) formula to use my actual max/min SOC (Raw) range. These two things were simple to do because of everyone else's work here. I appreciate it.

#32 ·
Hi, I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, and admire the work you guys have put in researching PIDs. I enjoy my VOLT for a little more than a year now, and am happy with it. I also have a simple ODB connector and interface to my laptop. What I'm really looking for, so far unsuccessfully, is to find and download four basic data: (1) miles cumulative, (2) electric only miles cumulative, (3) kWhr used cumulatively, and (4) gallon of fuel used cumulatively.

I'm sure #1 is available. The other three presently is only available through OnStar in a not so direct way. I can see from the table that the other three is available from PID table for "this trip" only - same as I would take a paper and pencil and copy down the numbers from the display when I turn the car off before getting out of it.

Presently I keep a monthly value for mpG (driven with ICE) and mpkWhr (driven with electric only). Taking a snapshot of the above four cumulative numbers once a month I calculate my two efficiency characteristics.

Janos

#41 ·
What I'm really looking for, so far unsuccessfully, is to find and download four basic data: (1) miles cumulative, (2) electric only miles cumulative, (3) kWhr used cumulatively, and (4) gallon of fuel used cumulatively.
There is definitely interest in getting odometer readings for both EV Mode and Engine Mode, and also lifetime electricity & fuel.

Also some kind of engine usage measurement (total revs? in thousands/millions) presumably some usage figure exists for the oil life calculations.

#33 ·

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Update:
How to get started using OBD2/Torque to get your own kWh meter.
Has anyone used successfully the PIDs in the spreadsheet for ...

1. *Transmission ISS 19 41
2. ??H1 Output Shaft Speed 1942

I am hoping that they will display RPM for MGA and MGB or am I way off course?
Are they 'safe' to use?

Cheers

#36 ·
Those are fields I found for other GM vehichles and hoped they might work out for the Vol..
I doubt either has anything to do with MGA/B since they are from non-EVs.

#35 ·
I'd like an EV Energy This Cycle to go with EV Miles this cycle, to calculate mi/kWh - anyone found that one yet?
For those doing the legwork, thanks. This is some REALLY cool stuff. It's REALLY interesting watching how MGA gets slowly rolled in, and watching state changes from energy usage, to regen.

Super cool stuff.

#37 ·
Follow the instructions on the "Notes" tab of the google doc to load the custom Volt PIDs. You might want to check back to get updates every now and then.[/QUOTE]

One problem: I have an Android pad, but no SD card to load the custom PIDs on. How do I load it into the unit?

#40 ·
With the usable SOC formula - (((A*100/255)-21.5)/65.0)*100 I seem to never get close to 100% for this reading for a full charge. I understand there would need to be 'headroom' should you start your journey downhill, however, when I get the RAW SOC reading it has never been above 83.5% (and USABLE 95.4%). Yet the formula predicts a top of 86.5%.

Would there be a problem in adjusting my formula for USABLE SOC to (((A*100/255)-21.5)/62.0)*100 ?

I think this would result in a full charge reading closer to ~100% for me.

What maximum RAW SOC do you see using the Torque app?

#42 ·
Do you discharge the battery to CS mode or do you recharge while still in CD mode? If you don't do the former the charge and amount usable will slowly degrade. I was down to 9.4kW per charge usable and 10.9 kw required for a complete recharge. After 4 cycles of discharge to CD mode before recharging I am back up to 9.7 kW before switching to CS mode and 11.9 kW required for a full recharge.

#43 ·
I have a new question: Why does the ICE only get up to 173°F ?
I don't know of any modern ICE that run this cool. 193°F/89°C is a typical thermostat setting. Some are 93°C , I think.

I watched the Opel Ampera Torque guy's video and his runs this cool also.
As they say,,, What's up with that?

This is not good for fuel efficiency and you want your oil temp to get up to above 180°F once in a while to burn off moisture content.

Are others seeing this?

#44 ·
Can someone with a 2012 or 2013 with a built in kWh meter check the field I added

?? kWh Used (2011/2012)
?? kWh Used (2013+)

For accuracy.. Curious to see how well this crude approximation does. Its just a mapping of SOC to kWh used but still some people may prefer to think in term of kWh rather than SOC..

#45 ·
#46 ·
Tboult,

Thank you for the 2011 one. It works for me and gives me the information in a form that I have been longing for. Now i can easily choose routes and styles of driving. And all for less than $50.

So much better than buying a new model to get the info. Cheaper and I don't loose things like the backup guide in the camera. I think there are other things that were removed on the more recent models too.

Has me curious about all the other info available now.

Is there any way the scanner can tell when the brake pads are actually being applied in real time? Just looking for on and off. I like to re-generate brake but wonder if I go too far and use the brake pads sometimes? The brake torque is interesting but doesn't give me that info.

Thanks again, Roy Volt #1019

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.