GM Volt Forum banner

Only one in three hybrid owners buy another gas-electric model when they trade in

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  sinnombre 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hard to say. I'm definitely loving the electric experience, but who knows what's going to be available when I buy again.

Right now, I'm loving the Teslas - and if the Supercharger network is expanded as they plan, a used Model S or X might be a candidate when the time comes (new ones are so expensive, out of my comfortable price range.)

Given current tech trends, I wouldn't be too surprised if a fuel cell extended EREV was an option by the time I'm ready. (Hyundai just opened a big fuel cell plant for automotive cells...)

#3 ·
I too went from a Prius to a Volt. For quite a while every car has had better mileage than the last. I can not imagine trading in for something that gets less mileage. The HHR was replaced with a Fiesta. The gas hog of the red clan is the Miata.

2012 Crystal Red 01412

#4 ·
It depends on what is available when that time comes. I wanted a Tesla in the first place, it just got too expensive right now. I think a 3 year old S with regular mileage for $30-40K would be hard to pass up. A 2nd year ELR would also be in the running as would a Tesla Bluestar.

#6 · (Edited)
"Analysts expect that demand for all forms of battery-based vehicles will continue to grow in the coming years, if for no other reason than the steady increase in available products."

Yeah, that must be it. People paying more up front, just because its there. Why can't they be practical about the economics of mileage and fuel costs? Is there something in those numbers? Well over 10 million Americans have access to sub-five cent kwh rates.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, pjwood, ya nailed it. And yes, TH_Orn it is the Polk release from earlier last year that Mr. Einstein ( Last Name?) and I have gone round and round in the past.

A Toyota Prius that eats a gallon of gas a day? Heck, I use a gallon of gas a month! A 2014 Toyota Prius Plug In that has all of a 6-11 mile range? We can't even call it an AER ( All Electric Range ) as the gas motor will assist at any time heavy propulsion is needed.
Frankly, I would have to plug in 4-6 times a day in the thing to equal Volts AER!

This story, posted earlier today is just another antiEV hack piece drudging up an old survey to dampen an uneducated public about the amazing benefits of electric driving.

Nasty disinformation Blogs, misleading 'Fake Facts' political rants and Big Oil bad information hit pieces run rampant in CyberSpace. Unlike the editors of the daily newspapers running a retraction if wrong, with the pages of the daileys ending up in the bird cage before the trash, these stories never die.

The internet NEVER forgets!

Now, to post a more educated bit of information to answer our OP question, here is a well written article on the rise of the Electric Vehicles as it appeared in the Wall Street Journal last Friday edition.

Now this is some well written research!

Nearly 22 Million Electric Vehicles Will Be Sold from 2012 to 2020, Forecasts Navigant Research-

"[...], sales of plug-in EVs will grow at a compound annual growth rate of nearly 40 percent over the remainder of the decade.[...]"

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130419-904887.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

@AmazingChevVolt

#7 ·
I am at the stage of life where everyday is a new day. I appreciate the Volt as probably the best car I ever bought but I miss my Mini Cooper and will probably go back. Those of you who have owned the Mini will understand. Gas savings is a good thing but the pleasure of the driving the Mini is something else.

#10 ·
"One reason appears to be the ongoing gap between the mileage that manufacturers claim and reality on the road. "

This sounds like Toyota modus operandi . When "50 mpg " cars get 43 mpg people get disappointed .

When my " horribly inefficient 35 mpg " Volt gets 42mpg in CS mode it exceeds expectations .

#11 ·
Sorry to intrude on your confirmation bias, but the article is referring to a piece from last year that was misleading about the average (closer to 40% if you ignore the tsunami quarters), measured from trade-in only in a market that's really less than 10 years old and includes a bunch of dying or dead hybrids, noted that in contrast the Prius traders had above-average make loyalty of 59% (industry average is 49%) and is talking about a subset of vehicles that don't cover every segment and therefore trade-in would include utility switches.

And if you look at Fuelly you'll note that the Prius owners get 45mpg (gen 2) or 46-48 (gen3). Your numbers are as inaccurate as the numbers in the study referenced by this (s)hit piece. Ignore and move on.

#12 ·
I'm still on the fence. I'm a big supporter of EVs in general, but I'm also a sports/muscle car guy. The Tesla's are the only EVs that appeal to my sports/muscle car side, but at present, they are too expensive. If Ford came out with a plug-in or electric Mustang GT (or Chevy with a Camaro), I'd be in heaven.

#16 ·
for me I have no idea.. I didnt buy my Volt because it is an EREV.. just turns out its the car I wanted for tech.. and I embrace the EV lifestyle with it... as many know I get new cars all the time. so if the next car i want comes in an EREV I'll likely buy it... but if it doesnt then I wouldnt..

theres also the possibility the Volt becomes a Long term car for me and I get a Jeep or something as a play toy (I tend to trade play toy cars in often)...

if someone came up to me and asked me "would you buy another gas / electric car?" I would say Yes if the right CAR is gas / electric.

the other thing that happens is people's lifestyles change.. the happy young couple may have bought a PRIUS when they got married.. and now there a kidlet or two and PRIUS may not be the fit.. so they go buy a minivan or a crossover..

OR

the other way around.. the Tahoe hybrid they owned is now too big since the kids went to college.. they always bought GM their whole life. so they go buy a Malibu...

yet another scenerio.. person gets a new job that requires a 60 mile each way commute all highway.. the Hybrid isnt as efficient on the highway as in town.. so they may just buy a regular civic, cruze, etc that costs less and still gets 40 MPG..

-Christopher

#18 ·
I could see buying something different the next time around as a "car guy", but have to admit the Volt has spoiled me in a lot of areas - more specifically, while I don't need to have awesome mileage I do now appreciate having something with decent numbers and the electric driving experience is compelling.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.