The Tram from Hell
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Tram from Hell

Default The Tram from Hell

Curious about EV charging at DisneyWorld this week, instead I saw, heard (and smelled) something that stopped me cold.

What's jerky, stinky, and so loud in the first car it could damage your hearing? (Seriously, it hurts!)

http://m.wdwmagic.com/transportation/parking-trams.htm

And if it's been changed over the years from an 8 cyl (1971) to a turbo 5 (????) why for multiple reasons could it not be converted/replace with an EV? Wouldn't this actually also save $$ in fuel and maintenance after just a few years?!!

Anyone have a relative/friend/contact at Disney to pass this idea on?

I know Siemens has a lot connections with WDW, and might love the contract...or VIA Motors???

I mean imagine how much better this 12 mph f*cker would be with a 300 hp electric motor!
    '12 Chevy Volt Topaz Blue "Oppy", 44k EV miles (92%) 400 mpg lifetime
    Longest trips: 988 mi @ 49 mpg (46 MPGe), 530 mi @ 69 mpg (57 MPGe), 420 mi @ 71 mpg (59 MPGe)
    VoltStats "Hall of Fame": 10,214 mi 1 tank; 130 EV mi 1 day; 2574 mi no gas
    My other car (the gas guzzler): '08 Toyota Prius Driftwood Pearl "Prity", 150k miles, 44 to 47 mpg
    https://www.facebook.com/DriveElectricCarsNewEngland

And they can't complain about places to put the batteries. It's like 200' long

Smith Electric could possibly do something with that. It parks quite a bit and could do 5 minute charges every time around. WDW should look into this as a customer convenience. They'd need to buy at least 8 of them and place them at WDW main parking, Epcot parking and Animal Kingdom. They also have a fleet of busses there that just run around the campus from Downtown Disney over to the other lots. Those could be electrified. They'll need powerful AC units, though, as the area gets hot a lot. I spent a lot of sweaty nights down there when my kids were small. And they Don't Remember The Trips. Why people take their sub-5 year olds to WDW is beyond me. Save the money and take them when they're teenagers.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather (2-years old July 5, 2014 - 40,000 miles) Current VoltStats
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Installation Blog
    Thank you to Stingray Chevrolet for a great purchasing experience. Current Volts

Never happen, that thing will be around for a long time, WDW will drive that thing into the ground. Unless someone is killed on that thing, its gonna keep puttering around.
    Bill 2013 V. Joule Volt D01351 The only car from GM I have any interest in, after the EV1

Advertisement

This Disneyland trams in Anaheim are CNG fueled. Less noise and no smell.

http://www.ngvglobal.com/disneyland-...ng-fueled-0201

The Disneyland diesel Submarine Voyage was converted to electric power during the Finding Nemo conversion. The induction power in the rail powers the sub without the smell and pollution that I suffered with when working the ride in the '70s!

I am still wondering how seven cars per tram times six seats per car gives a total occupancy of 210. Are they using magic from the Sorcerer's Apprentice to multiply seats, as Mickey did with the brooms? As I have taken this tram a few times, it does have more than seven cars!

OT: That cartoon was the fist time Mickey had his present look (flesh colored skin and big eyes).
    Raymond
    No Volt or Spark EV yet

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    1995 Buick Regal Limited sedan

I know what you mean about the trams and the buses aren't much better smelling. How about a Wedway Peoplemove TTA out and back route in the parking lot. It would be great to install that with the new renovations at Downtown Disney (soon to be Disney Springs).
    2013 Blue Topaz

Maybe lately I am one part idealist and one part pessimist.

At Sea World there was all this grandiose display of how we need to care for our world (and our Oceans) but not a hint of actual environmental stewardship to point to.

At Epcot there was this supposed utopian and hopeful view of the future that actually seems to be stuck in mindset of the 1960's, which viewing through modern lenses actually seems more distopian.

Ditto for DW Magic Kingdom, with the highly audible tram, the plethora of gasoline powered golf carts, trucks, and vans, and the equally offensive to the tram "Tomorrowland Speedway". OK, I realize that I may be treading on some people's cherished childhood memories, but really, is that noisy fume-belching raceway part of the vision of tomorrow? I don't get it...

And another thing, almost impossible to find a (working) electric outlet in Tomorrowland to charge one's cell phone. Tried to broken ones before finding on the wall by the Space Mountain exit that worked. Distopian indeed.
    '12 Chevy Volt Topaz Blue "Oppy", 44k EV miles (92%) 400 mpg lifetime
    Longest trips: 988 mi @ 49 mpg (46 MPGe), 530 mi @ 69 mpg (57 MPGe), 420 mi @ 71 mpg (59 MPGe)
    VoltStats "Hall of Fame": 10,214 mi 1 tank; 130 EV mi 1 day; 2574 mi no gas
    My other car (the gas guzzler): '08 Toyota Prius Driftwood Pearl "Prity", 150k miles, 44 to 47 mpg
    https://www.facebook.com/DriveElectricCarsNewEngland

+ Reply to Thread