Cruze diesel gets 46 mpg, best non-hybrid
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Cruze diesel gets 46 mpg, best non-hybrid

Default Cruze diesel gets 46 mpg, best non-hybrid

Looks like it will go on sale to some US cities in June, then nationwide and Canada in the early fall.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...i-mpg/2091633/
    2013 Black Volt #43046

I'll be curious to see if they sell. The 2013 gas version gets 38 EPA highway. So that's 20% more miles on fuel that costs 10-15% more than regular gas. Doesn't seem worth it unless a huge range is really important to you.
    Pete Foss
    GM R&D
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
    I'll be curious to see if they sell. The 2013 gas version gets 38 EPA highway. So that's 20% more miles on fuel that costs 10-15% more than regular gas. Doesn't seem worth it unless a huge range is really important to you.
    Alas, I have to agree with you although I hope they sell a million of them. I guess it does make more sense in Europe where diesel is reputedly significantly cheaper than gas.

Edit: Premium gas in Germany last week $8.03/gallon. Diesel $7.09

I wonder how that engine would do in a Colorado sized pickup?
    Last edited by Noel Park; 04-18-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    B1756 "Buy American, the job you save may be your own"

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I have seen a number of EV haters bring up the diesel engine as a better solution "if only GM allowed it to be sold in the US". I hope they all run out and buy one now that their wish has come true.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 84,576 miles, 135 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 74%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1366 miles, 125
    MPG, 65% Electric, 33% gas, Saved 48 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    I have seen a number of EV haters bring up the diesel engine as a better solution "if only GM allowed it to be sold in the US". I hope they all run out and buy one now that their wish has come true.
    I had a very similar experience a couple of months ago. I was explaining to someone how economical it was to drive a Volt. When I got to the part where I said the ICE gets 37mpg but takes premium fuel they responded with, "Why even bother? Just get a diesel."

I responded with, "but diesel is more expensive than premium (in this area)??"

No response from him.
    2014 Crystal Red, Pebble Beige

It's too bad we continue to export diesel fuel to foreign markets (South America is a popular destination) and force US consumers to pay higher price. As some of you with refining knowledge can attest, diesel fuel should always be cheaper to refine than gasoline. Common formula traders use is 5-3-2 crack spread or 3-2-1 crack spread (5-3-2 means 5 barrels of oil produces 3 barrels of gasoline and 2 barrels of distillates, mainly diesel).

Part of the reason why diesel fuel price anomaly doesn't get as much flak as gasoline price is the biggest users of diesel fuel (trucking companies) pass on the cost to consumers via fuel surcharges, etc. and the general public is not as aware of the impact.

Here in California, anytime there's a "pop" in gasoline price, CEOs of major oil companies gets dragged to Sacramento to prove there's no collusion going on - they're never dragged to explain diesel price moves.

Another problem that prevents with wide use of diesel fuel is how messy it gets (e.g. "cat litter" at the pumps covering up spills by customers - diesel doesn't evaporate like gasoline when spilled) and scarcity of diesel pumps at an average station.

I'm curious how much sales will be cannibalized by Jetta hybrid from Jetta TDI.

Pete has it right
    15% better fuel economy than Cruze ECO.
    Diesel sells for 15% more than gasoline.
    Diesel model will sell for 15% more (or ?%) than a standard gas Cruze ECO. In lower quantity. Will the engine be from an overseas plant or sourced domestically?
    States like Virginia want to do-away with the gasoline tax. But KEEP the state fuel tax on diesel.

Meh.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather (4-years owned on July 5, 2016 @ 69,000 miles) Current Hidden Content
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Hidden Content -- 47 MWh since 12/12/2012

Thank you to Hidden Content for a great purchasing experience. Hidden Content

...and even less efficiency gain if comparing the Cruze Eco to the Cruze Diesel. Not sure which gas model more closely resembles the Diesel though.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

The price difference between gasoline and Diesel fuel varies. Here they cost about the same. But a Diesel engine allows the consumption of bio-degradable fuels from processed vegetable oils, so it can recycle what is normally disposed of when used. And some may even produce their own bio-degradable oils from grasses, algae, and even nuts.

So this Cruze (which is a great car by itself - I drove one) can be greener than gasoline engine cars, and not use petroleum.

GM, have you experimented adding "eAssist" to a Diesel Cruze? It will be a better vehicle!
    Raymond
    No Volt or Bolt EV yet!

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed at 7.2 kW
    Registered EVSE at PlugShare
    Waiting for the first EV to charge!

12. Advertisement

Anyone know: Cents per mile, or Miles per dollar? CO2/other lbs per gallon??

That asked, I could see how a bio-diesel Cruze MIGHT be a good alternative for long car trips.
    '12 Chevy Volt Topaz Blue "Oppy", 49k EV miles (91%) >400 mpg lifetime
    Longest trips: 988 mi @ 49 mpg (46 MPGe), 530 mi @ 69 mpg (57 MPGe), 420 mi @ 71 mpg (59 MPGe)
    Hidden Content "Hall of Fame": 10,214 mi 1 tank; 130 EV mi 1 day; 2574 mi no gas
    My other car (the gas guzzler): '08 Toyota Prius Driftwood Pearl "Prity", 150k miles, 44 to 47 mpg
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text