Suppress option for Charging Honk
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suppress option for Charging Honk

Default Suppress option for Charging Honk

I'd like to recommend that, if the horn must be used to acknowledge plug-in charging, an option be presented to suppress the charging confirmation horn honk- perhaps on the same screen where we have to change the default amps from 8 to 12.

For some people the honking probably does not pose a problem. My garage happens to be under my neighbor's bedroom window so when I come home late in the evening I absolutely cringe as I plug in my car because I know the horn will sound. It's so rude that sometimes I'll just drive on gasoline the next day to avoid disturbing my neighbors.

And what makes it worse, is that I use time of day and departure time scheduling. The later at night a charge schedule Volt driver comes home, the closer it is to the scheduled AM departure time, and the more likely they are to get the dreaded quadruple "not-e-nuff-time" warning honk. As if one honk at 10PM isn't bad enough, four honks at 1AM will surely wake the neighbors.

Please add a way to turn that thing off in future models. Even if it has to be set each time it would be better than having to not charge at all to avoid the rude honking at night.
    Dear GM, Please offer a power adjustable drivers seat for 2017. I'm tall, and my back and legs can't take three more years of an un-adjustable seat cushion (tilt). Pretty please? Hidden Content

D-20416 “Joulea Ika Volt” Viridian Joule, Pebble Beige, Nav/Bose/Safety 1 & 2 Hidden Content

Default Agree about honking

Yes, please GM enable suppression of honking on charge. And why couldn't this be an update via software, rather than a new feature for future model years?

Quote Originally Posted by Joule View Post
    I'd like to recommend that, if the horn must be used to acknowledge plug-in charging, an option be presented to suppress the charging confirmation horn honk- perhaps on the same screen where we have to change the default amps from 8 to 12.

For some people the honking probably does not pose a problem. My garage happens to be under my neighbor's bedroom window so when I come home late in the evening I absolutely cringe as I plug in my car because I know the horn will sound. It's so rude that sometimes I'll just drive on gasoline the next day to avoid disturbing my neighbors.

And what makes it worse, is that I use time of day and departure time scheduling. The later at night a charge schedule Volt driver comes home, the closer it is to the scheduled AM departure time, and the more likely they are to get the dreaded quadruple "not-e-nuff-time" warning honk. As if one honk at 10PM isn't bad enough, four honks at 1AM will surely wake the neighbors.

Please add a way to turn that thing off in future models. Even if it has to be set each time it would be better than having to not charge at all to avoid the rude honking at night.
    I have a possible work around, though not ideal.

I find that my 2011 Volt does not honk when the following conditions are ALL true:
    - Using my Level 1 charger
    - Plug the charger into the Volt BEFORE plugging the charger into the electrical outlet
    - Charge set to delayed charging, so it doesn't start charging immediately

With this combo, the light on the dash just starts blinking. You could then force a "Charge immediately" through OnStar and have it start charging, with no horn (I presume).

It may also work with a Level 2 charger if you cut power to the Level 2 and plug into the car first, then apply power to the Level 2 again. Regardless, I do know that the combination above works, I get no horn chirp plugging in like this at work.
    Last edited by ClarksonCote; 04-05-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

I have a 2012 Volt. It never honks when I plug it in to charge. It did when I first bought it, but I remember I made a change through the configuration settings on the center stack. Interesting...

EDIT: I checked last night when I got home. I am mistaken on the above. I think I'm just used to hearing the single horn chirp (I always charge immediately) I block it out. Sorry for any confusion my post above may have caused. I also agree it would be nice to turn it off - or at use more of a simple "electronic beep" for it.
    Last edited by zaxdude; 04-04-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    2012 Cyber Gray, Navi, Rear Cam, Bose, Premium Trim, Polished Chrome Wheels

Agree completely. There is no upside I can see to having a honk, unless, perhaps, the driver is blind.
    2013 White Diamond Tricoat, polished aluminum wheels, and everything but NAV and Bose, purchased Jan. 2013. Our other car is a 2008 Prius.

I agree that the car honks way too much. I don't have the same problem with neighbors being close to my garage, but I have also noticed that, even though I have disabled the "left remote in vehicle" warning in the configuration, I still get the warning when I close the hatch door while my wife is in the car with her key. Why does this car have to be so noisy?
    2013 White Diamond Volt, fully loaded, built Dec 2012, delivered Dec 20, 2012, purchased Dec 31, 2012 (D-3520)

Chevrolet, please add me to the list of people who want an option to suppress the annoying charge honk.
    In fact, it is my opinion that the horn should only be used for two things: As a driver's horn, and as a theft-alarm.
    I don't mind Chevy using the horn for other alerts, but please, for the love of silence, allow me the option to turn them off.

I have a 2013 Volt, and I would very much like to see this fixed in my vehicle via software update.

We've had people *think* they turned off the car (but didn't) who came back later to find the car running, engine on. The lack of a horn honk is an audible clue the car was not charging. Belt and suspenders I suppose given there is also a dash light.

I do listen for the horn honk, it has saved me a few times.

The Configure controls do not have an option for this, at least on MY 2011.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    We've had people *think* they turned off the car (but didn't) who came back later to find the car running, engine on. The lack of a horn honk is an audible clue the car was not charging. Belt and suspenders I suppose given there is also a dash light.

I do listen for the horn honk, it has saved me a few times.

The Configure controls do not have an option for this, at least on MY 2011.
    I agree, but inversely- I think the alert should be a honk when I walk away with the key and leave it running instead of the alert being the absence of a honk when I plug it in while it's running.
    Dear GM, Please offer a power adjustable drivers seat for 2017. I'm tall, and my back and legs can't take three more years of an un-adjustable seat cushion (tilt). Pretty please? Hidden Content

D-20416 “Joulea Ika Volt” Viridian Joule, Pebble Beige, Nav/Bose/Safety 1 & 2 Hidden Content

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ClarksonCote View Post
    I find that my 2011 Volt does not honk when the following conditions are ALL true:
    - Using my Level 1 charger
    - Plug the charger into the Volt BEFORE plugging the charger into the electrical outlet
    - Charge set to delayed charging, so it doesn't start charging immediately

With this combo, the light on the dash just starts blinking. You could then force a "Charge immediately" through OnStar and have it start charging, with no horn (I presume).
    Thank you. I believe that single honk is immediate charging "now", delayed charging is a double honk "de-lay", and insufficient time is 4 "not-e-nuff-time".

I'll try your suggestion of plugging it in the car first, wall second- with delayed charging active. Fingers crossed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text