Macomb County Michigan Residential Charging Stations
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macomb County Michigan Residential Charging Stations

Default Macomb County Michigan Residential Charging Stations

As almost-Volt-owners (pick up tomorrow), we have been following threads on this website and have learned there are Volt owners near our home as depicted on the charging station location websites. With that in mind, we were hoping to share thoughts with those specific Volt owners relative to the best residential set-up based on DTE as the electricity supplier. Also, we don't plan on staying in this house or location more than another year, so how would that impact our decision. We don't know if this is an appropriate request via this forum, but if someone in our area reads this message, could you let us know what charger you use, did you go with DTE's separate meter box, etc? Thanks much.

I have the DTE flat rate plan... not sure it's still available. Also DTE had a Chargepoint installed with separate meter. The whole thing didn't cost me any money.
    2011 Viridian Joule B2747 in Michigan with Chargepoint L2 Personal Charger

I have the DTE night rate plan and it works out best for me, If you need to fully charge at home averaging 3 or more times during the week days you might be better with the flat rate.

My usual charging bill is $20 to $25 a month. on the rare times I need a little extra charge during week days, I use the 120 v charger with my standard rate meter, the pentaly for fast charging during week days on the night rate meter is significent (but still less than the cost of gas).

Advertisement

also sense you are not going to be there more that a year, that could be a big problem, I think you have to sign a 3 year contract to get the free instilation.

Consider having an electrician install a 240V outlet, then buy a plugin L2 EVSE. You can then unplug it and take with when you move.

OR, avoid the expense of a L2 install and simply use the L1 EVSE that comes with the car to charge it. It charges the car overnight. Many do this. I did it for about 6 months before getting my L2 EVSE. Get a L2 240V installation after you move.
    Last edited by Steverino; 03-18-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 48,565 miles, 151 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 69%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 995 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 4% gas, Saved 42 gal., 24 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

As of early February there were no more "flat rate" available. DTE seems to have many of the 2500 available for the tiered rate. I got the Voltec charger primarily for the 7.7 cent off peak rate (18 cents peak). You sign up for 2 years. You can charge all weekend which may open up 3 charge cycles a day. You won't get that with the 120v cord. Don't forget the 120v charger may be more than the ~12 cent rate if the house exceeds a certain KWH per month (I did it the first bill). If it is plugged in during peak time the L2 will use a few KWH @ 18 cents for battery conditioning.
    I asked for quotes for several types of chargers but only got the Voltec (cheapest) quote of $2380. So the L2 is free but you do have to be around the house for the quote, install (2 hours) and inspection. Power is interrupted for the meter install as well so you may want to be around for that.
    Took about 3 weeks to install with a few extra phone calls.
    DTE number is 313 235 7700

Like others have suggested I would apply and make sure you select a charger with a plug like the Wattstation or the SPX Power Express. When you move you can take it with you and then have a new outlet and meter installed(or not) at your new place.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPowered View Post
    As of early February there were no more "flat rate" available. DTE seems to have many of the 2500 available for the tiered rate. I got the Voltec charger primarily for the 7.7 cent off peak rate (18 cents peak). You sign up for 2 years. You can charge all weekend which may open up 3 charge cycles a day. You won't get that with the 120v cord. Don't forget the 120v charger may be more than the ~12 cent rate if the house exceeds a certain KWH per month (I did it the first bill). If it is plugged in during peak time the L2 will use a few KWH @ 18 cents for battery conditioning.
    I asked for quotes for several types of chargers but only got the Voltec (cheapest) quote of $2380. So the L2 is free but you do have to be around the house for the quote, install (2 hours) and inspection. Power is interrupted for the meter install as well so you may want to be around for that.
    Took about 3 weeks to install with a few extra phone calls.
    DTE number is 313 235 7700
    Similar scenario for me except my cost was a bit over $2500 due to extraordinary circumstances. Even though I spent a couple hundred out of pocket it was well worth it due to the reduced off-peak rates. If I'm not mistaken the contract is for two years but I'm not 100% sure about that. If you move before the contract is fulfilled there may be a penalty so be sure and ask about that. DTE was easy to work with and everything went well with the install.
    btown

2012 Silver Ice Metallic
    C12608

+ Reply to Thread