GM Volt Forum banner

2011 Volts hold mode?

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  fotomoto 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Specifically the people that know the vin numbers. I am wondering if any 2011 Volts that got the hold mode in the programming by any chance and what the VIN starts at. If at all possible. Reason I'm asking I seem to remember that there were a few Volts at the end of the 2011 year that had the enhanced battery in them. I'm guessing that hold mode got into them too, I could be wrong on that but its worth a shot. If there is this id like to know the VIN's it started so I can go and get one for my own and have the best car out there.

#3 ·
To the best of our knowledge, no US 2011 or 2012 Volt has Hold mode. (European 2012s all have it.) A small number of late 2012s appear to have the improved battery; a small number of late 2012s have the ERDTT settings, and a small number of late 2012s have MyLink.

#7 ·
There was a recent post here from a GM Volt Engineer responding to live questions about the Volt via Facebook. Someone asked if a software uplift could enable HOLD Mode on pre-2013 Volts. The GM guy said "No," adding that the Hold MODE on the 2013 Volt also required hardware changes.

#11 ·
The GM guy said "No," adding that the Hold MODE on the 2013 Volt also required hardware changes.
Since exactly what hardware is required has never been divulged, it could be something as minor as adding the word option "HOLD" to the instrument display when selecting drive modes.

#10 · (Edited)
I don't buy the hardware change argument. I have forgotten where, but in the day, GM considered hold as on the Ampera. It was dropped to insure it would not impact the cars overall MPG ratings....you must deplete the battery before you can start burning gas insuring gasoline use is minimized. It goes to GM's position that the Volt is an EV with a range extender rather than a plug-in hybrid. In hold mode the car is a hybrid if the owner so desires.

The hood switch experiment shows a hold capability in a 2012 Volt. It also shows that GM has added a timer or some other limit to prevent an easy adaption to get hold mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.