Completely Dead Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 9 LastLast

Thread: Completely Dead Volt

Unhappy Completely Dead Volt

This morning I drove to my office as usual. I started off with both a full charge and a full tank of gas. The 9 mile drive to work was uneventful. At the end of the day, I came outside and noticed that the car did not respond when I pushed the remote's door unlock button. I used the key to unlock the door, and found that the car is completely dead. No lights, no dash display, nothing. Of course, it won't start. So now I have a huge "paperweight" in my parking spot. Any ideas on what happened and how to fix it???

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 2012 Volt View Post
    This morning I drove to my office as usual. I started off with both a full charge and a full tank of gas. The 9 mile drive to work was uneventful. At the end of the day, I came outside and noticed that the car did not respond when I pushed the remote's door unlock button. I used the key to unlock the door, and found that the car is completely dead. No lights, no dash display, nothing. Of course, it won't start. So now I have a huge "paperweight" in my parking spot. Any ideas on what happened and how to fix it???
    Your 12 volt battery is dead. Jump start it at the contact points under the hood.
    2013 Crystal Red - D 2516 - Delivered 10/16/2012
    U235 Powered

Jump the 12v (just like a normal car) - possibly a light left on drained it.

Advertisement

WAIT ! YOU POSTED HERE before calling for road service ?

which might have been a good idea as you got an answer 5 mins later ;-)

If still waiting for someone with jumper cables the manual is available in PDF format.
    2012 RED Volt VIN:#C-8860 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    09/29/2011 Ordered -- 11/15/2011 took it home

Most likely a dead 12v. Should jump and be fine. Note that when you jump you need to use the connectors under the hood. There are two connectors. One is easy to see. The other is under a plastic flap. It's a bit harder to find but the plastic cover flips up very easily.

Could be many things that caused the battery to run down, including an open Bluetooth connection to a smartphone.
    Last edited by DonC; 03-15-2013 at 12:43 AM.

I killed my 12V battery once - it was caused by a dashcam left plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket. But most of the dead battery stories blame the bluetooth connection. There is one post on this site where a guy notices his radio did not shut off when he turned off the car during a phone call. He takes a bunch of videos of it as he tries to get the car to go back to "normal".
    Volt # 2262, picked up on Earth Day 2011. GO VOLT! LOVE THIS CAR!

The Volt is "supposed" to have run down protection that prevents the battery from ever going dead. So to me, a dashcam plugged into the Volt's cigarette lighter socket shouldn't matter, but a Bluetooth bug could cause it.

Regardless, this is a pretty silly problem that Chevrolet should sort out.
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

If you are concerned this will be a regular thing, carry a 12V lantern battery and some small alligator wires in the car. The jump only needs to boot the controls, not crank an engine.

12v-Lantern-battery-Jumper.jpg
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 46,590 miles, 147 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 69%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1102 miles, 201
    MPG, 88% Electric, 12% gas, Saved 45 gal., 25 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 2012 Volt View Post
    Mike,

Were you able to get ahold of Roadside? If not please PM me with your information or call the Volt Advisors 877-486-5846 and we will contact them right away for you.

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Team:
    (877) 486-5846
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Hours:
    Monday - Friday 8AM to 9PM EST.
    Saturday 11AM to 8PM EST.
    Closed on Sunday.

voltsocialmedia@gm.com
    https://twitter.com/ChevyVolt
    http://https://www.facebook.com/chevroletvolt

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    If you are concerned this will be a regular thing, carry a 12V lantern battery and some small alligator wires in the car. The jump only needs to boot the controls, not crank an engine.
    I'm still waiting to see if someone has any luck using the Stanley Battery Booster I bought. I think it puts out 120 watts. This one only has 5 amps.

Why is it that no one who is prepared for the dead 12v ever has one? Very frustrating. LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 9 LastLast