Well, it looks like I am now a member of the club (12V battery club)
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Well, it looks like I am now a member of the club (12V battery club)

Default Well, it looks like I am now a member of the club (12V battery club)

I drove to work this morning in my 2012 Volt. It is about 2-3 weeks short of its 1 year anniversary. All appeared normal as I pulled into a parking spot, shut the car off and went to the office. It was about 8:35 in the morning. After work, I was planning on going to see my tax guy and straighten out some issues with my taxes and the 8911 form, it was about 4:45. As I got ready to get in the Volt, I pushed the button on the door handle to unlock the door. Nothing happened when I hit the button. So I hit it again. Still nothing so I pulled the remote out of my pocket and hit unlock..... Nothing. So I used the key to manually unlock the door. It was at this point in time as I sat in the drivers seat, I saw no dome lights, stack lights or cluster activity. Reality sets in.. I have a dead 12 volt battery. I got my cell phone out and called my Volt Advisor. She told me to either jump it myself or she can call AAA to do it for me. After she told me where to connect the battery cable under the hood, I told her I can do it myself as I was in a parking garage a few levels up that is locked and can only gain access with a parking transponder. So I was off in search of a set of jumper cables and someone with a battery. After I found what I needed, I jumped the Volt. When I pushed the start button, the horn sounded about 3-5 times as everything came alive. A brief message came on the display about Service Charging System then went away. I called OnStar through the Volt and was told there were no error codes that could be seen or retrieved. As I drove out of the garage I called my dealer to tell them about what had just happened. When I told them about the Service Charging System message, they said get that car to a dealer that is located in the town I work, rather than the one closer to my home. HOWEVER, I still had my tax appointment to go to. So I drove home with the car. I'll call my dealer in the AM. I noticed as I was driving home, that the range on the battery was dropping faster than normal. As I got to within a 1/2 mile from home, my battery range went to zero. As it switched to ICE, I could not hear the ICE start. I pulled in the drive and shut the Volt off. I popped open the hood and swear the exhaust manifold of the ICE was cold. I don't know if the engine even ran! Now I know that bluetooth is not used since I have never paired it to any devices. This morning while driving in, I had the radio off so I could just take in the peace and quiet during my commute. ALWAYS SOMETHING!
    Last edited by FrankIII; 03-15-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    2012 Crystal RED Volt VIN:#C-119110 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    02/21/2012 Ordered -- 04/09/2012 took it home

It isn't unusual for the car to drive short distances (up to most of a mile) at low speeds after "switching to gas" without the engine coming on. Had the engine come on, it would have recharged the battery to the level where it "switched to gas," so it would be a fair representation.

Not sure what to make of your problem - the fact that the service charging message disappeared suggests the APM is working correctly - which means either the 12V battery is failing (and we have heard that some Volts got defective 12V batteries that failed early,) or something drained it completely in 8 hours with the car turned off (not sure what it would be, there's rundown protection that should prevent this, in theory.)
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Let's see how it looks in the morning.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 51,445 miles, 156 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 67%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1375 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 3% gas, Saved 61 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Advertisement

Were you using your cell phone in the morning?

No, while I had the cell phone on and in my pocket, I never used it. Besides it is not paired with the car. I did not use Onstar in the morning either.
    2012 Crystal RED Volt VIN:#C-119110 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    02/21/2012 Ordered -- 04/09/2012 took it home

The good thing is you handled it well and didn't end up wasting time on what is probably an unnecessary trip to the dealer. Agree with Walter than the display switching and the ICE not coming on is normal. I've had the display switch to gas and drive a couple of miles at 40 MPH before the engine actually came on.

If it's fine in the morning I wouldn't worry about it. I would, however, get a small battery pack that you can use to start the car. They're cheap and can save you a lot of trouble trying to find a jump.

I would say any time you have to re-charge a flat lead battery you need to monitor its voltage.
    Get a power plug mounted voltmeter. Even more so if no problems are found or parts get changed.
    2012 RED Volt VIN:#C-8860 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    09/29/2011 Ordered -- 11/15/2011 took it home

9. Default

Incidentally, does the Volt trickle-charge the 12V battery while plugged in?

(And I wonder if going with a LiIon replacement 12V would be worth it, folks on motorcycles like them for the weight savings
    http://www.jegs.com/p//Lithium-Pros-...70167/10002/-1
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Hennessy View Post
    Incidentally, does the Volt trickle-charge the 12V battery while plugged in?

(And I wonder if going with a LiIon replacement 12V would be worth it, folks on motorcycles like them for the weight savings
    http://www.jegs.com/p//Lithium-Pros-...70167/10002/-1
    )
    Yes - and no. Like anything else in the Volt, it defies a simple answer. The Volt does charge the 12V battery when the car is charging - there's a separate 12V circuit in the charger module under the front bumper to provide the power (necessary because it runs the 12V coolant pumps during charging.) However, if the car is not actively charging, it is not charging the 12V battery either.

Unfortunately, the charger module can't pilot off of the 110/220 source with a dead 12V, either - not sure if GM didn't think it was necessary, or if the J1772 protocols prevent this possibility. It would be convenient as a way out of the dead battery problem.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Advertisement

Default Did center screen turn off

When you turned off your car in the morning before the 12v went dead, did you notice if the center screen turned off
    Or not? I suspect the center screen stayed on and drained the battery.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast