GM Volt Forum banner

Nav Question

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Steve-o 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm guessing GM uses the same Nav system on all their cars. Wife has a 13 Buick Lacrosse with Nav. She splits screen left side Nav and right half XM. When the car is first started she gets the Buick logo where we get the Volt logo. Once Buick logo is done she gets a huge black screen saying Navigation Initializing for another 17 to 20 seconds. In the mean time you have no control over the screen. Do your Nav systems act the same way?

#2 ·
You left Nav on the screen when you turned off he Volt. Therefore when you turn the car back on Nav has to grab a gps and startup.

Go to another app when you leave the car and the initializaion of the gps will take place in he background while the app you had on when you turned off the car will be displayed.

#3 ·
No. When I start the car and the screen says the navigation is initializing, I can switch to any other screen while it is initializing. I don't have to wait. (2013 Volt, which has different navigation from 2011 and 2012.)

#5 ·
My 2012 shows the map as it was when the car was turned off. The little car icon flashes a small red question mark over it, and doesn't move, until the gps verifies where it is. That usually takes <10 seconds.

I have a different NAV question: Even when all POIs are turned off, my nav display's little several little icons. Most are easy to figure out (trees & park benches, etc). There is one that has me stumped: It looks like 'present' - a box with a ribbon wrapped around it and a bow on top. The manual doesn't say what it is. It seems to appear over some stores, but not all, and not all the same type of store.
Does anyone know what the gift-box icon is on their nav?

#8 ·
mine's a 2013. I'm pretty sure I can switch to another page, if the Nav system is taking a long time saying Initializing. Also as someone else pointed out, just be sure to have another page displayed when you turn the car OFF, and it will come up with that other page again when you turn it ON. I usually end on the Energy page showing miles driven & energy used so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.