Nav Question
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nav Question

Default Nav Question

I'm guessing GM uses the same Nav system on all their cars. Wife has a 13 Buick Lacrosse with Nav. She splits screen left side Nav and right half XM. When the car is first started she gets the Buick logo where we get the Volt logo. Once Buick logo is done she gets a huge black screen saying Navigation Initializing for another 17 to 20 seconds. In the mean time you have no control over the screen. Do your Nav systems act the same way?
    Last edited by Davem9586; 03-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.

You left Nav on the screen when you turned off he Volt. Therefore when you turn the car back on Nav has to grab a gps and startup.

Go to another app when you leave the car and the initializaion of the gps will take place in he background while the app you had on when you turned off the car will be displayed.

No. When I start the car and the screen says the navigation is initializing, I can switch to any other screen while it is initializing. I don't have to wait. (2013 Volt, which has different navigation from 2011 and 2012.)

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Davem9586 View Post
    I'm guessing GM uses the same Nav system on all their cars. Wife has a 13 Buick Lacrosse with Nav. She splits screen left side Nav and right half XM. When the car is first started she gets the Buick logo where we get the Volt logo. Once Buick logo is done she gets a huge black screen saying Navigation Initializing for another 17 to 20 seconds. In the mean time you have no control over the screen. Do your Nav systems act the same way?
    It's similar but you can do other things on the screen while the nav is initializing in the Volt, just not nav stuff.
    D-20416 “Joulia” Viridian Joule, Pebble Beige, Nav/Bose/Safety 1 & 2 My Volt Stats TFM
    Born on 11/12/12, Hamtramck, MI | Arrived at dealer 12/19/12 Los Angeles, CA | Adopted 12/21/12 San Diego, CA
    Stablemate: 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible "Mary" #8706 of the last 14,000 | Innsbruck Blue Metallic/White My Eldo Stats: 8 City/11 Highway

My 2012 shows the map as it was when the car was turned off. The little car icon flashes a small red question mark over it, and doesn't move, until the gps verifies where it is. That usually takes <10 seconds.

I have a different NAV question: Even when all POIs are turned off, my nav display's little several little icons. Most are easy to figure out (trees & park benches, etc). There is one that has me stumped: It looks like 'present' - a box with a ribbon wrapped around it and a bow on top. The manual doesn't say what it is. It seems to appear over some stores, but not all, and not all the same type of store.
    Does anyone know what the gift-box icon is on their nav?
    2012 Volt, Crystal Red, all options except polished wheels - C25204
    Ordered 13-Mar-2012, Produced week of 14-May-2012, Arrived 30-May-2012

New config options available on my 2012 Volt:
    • Engine Assisted Heating (Plugged-in): Yes / No
    • Engine Assisted Heating: At Cold Outside Temperatures / At Very Cold Outside Temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by Joule View Post
    It's similar but you can do other things on the screen while the nav is initializing in the Volt, just not nav stuff.
    I would have to qualify that. I can even set a destination while the navigation is initializing, so the only thing I can't do while it is initializing is interact with the map.
    Last edited by Steve-o; 03-15-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    I would have to qualify that. I can even set a destination while the navigation is initializing, so the only thing I can't do while it is initializing is interact with the map.
    Interesting- I'm sure that I can't do that with mine. Which year is your Volt w/nav?
    D-20416 “Joulia” Viridian Joule, Pebble Beige, Nav/Bose/Safety 1 & 2 My Volt Stats TFM
    Born on 11/12/12, Hamtramck, MI | Arrived at dealer 12/19/12 Los Angeles, CA | Adopted 12/21/12 San Diego, CA
    Stablemate: 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible "Mary" #8706 of the last 14,000 | Innsbruck Blue Metallic/White My Eldo Stats: 8 City/11 Highway

mine's a 2013. I'm pretty sure I can switch to another page, if the Nav system is taking a long time saying Initializing. Also as someone else pointed out, just be sure to have another page displayed when you turn the car OFF, and it will come up with that other page again when you turn it ON. I usually end on the Energy page showing miles driven & energy used so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Joule View Post
    Interesting- I'm sure that I can't do that with mine. Which year is your Volt w/nav?
    Well, I thought I had done it before, but I just tested it, and I can't set a destination until the navigation is initialized. Also, I can navigate to other screens and see the edges of them, but they are blocked by the unnecessarily large black window that says navigation is initializing. I guess I usually just power up and drive away and don't pay much attention to the screens anymore, my mistake.

It's a 2013, by the way.

+ Reply to Thread