Key FOB question
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Key FOB question

Default Key FOB question

The dealer could not answer my question. I am paranoid about being somewhere far away and losing my FOB. All my other cars have a hide-a-key. Now can I get a physical key copy of the one in the FOB and use it to start the car? or do I have to have an entire FOB? I know about the hidden key slot in the dash and the one in the driver door and I know I can have on-star open my doors. I want to know if I can hide a copy of the metal key portion of the FOB in or outside of the car and use it to drive the car.

Thanks to anyone with this knowledge

Jon

Take the battery out of your spare and give it a try.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 44,268 miles, 141 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 72%
    Typical Commute: 57-67 miles
    30 day Stats: 1323 miles, 160
    MPG, 76% Electric, 24% gas, Saved 49 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Quote Originally Posted by jljeeper View Post
    The dealer could not answer my question. I am paranoid about being somewhere far away and losing my FOB. All my other cars have a hide-a-key. Now can I get a physical key copy of the one in the FOB and use it to start the car? or do I have to have an entire FOB? I know about the hidden key slot in the dash and the one in the driver door and I know I can have on-star open my doors. I want to know if I can hide a copy of the metal key portion of the FOB in or outside of the car and use it to drive the car.

Thanks to anyone with this knowledge

Jon
    Most modern cars won't start without the correct immobilizer chip from an original key. It's an anti-theft measure. You can't just copy the blade of the key and have it work. Original, programmed key, or nothing. Just keep track of it along with your house key, and don't worry about hiding one on the car.

Oh, and it's 'fob', not FOB. No need to shout it, and it's not an acronym. A 'key fob' is a medallion used to identify a key ring. The word has taken on a new meaning with respect to cars since the fob became integrated with the key in many cars, and now the fob pretty much *is* the key.

Advertisement

Why didn't I think of that? I guess the other question the dealer couldn't answer is...does the bare key have a chip in it?
    At any rate I can hide a battery-less FOB somewhere in the car as a backup and either have a hide-a-key or use On-Star to open my door.

Thanks
    Jon

Why didn't I think of that? I guess the other question the dealer couldn't answer is...does the bare key have a chip in it?
    At any rate I can hide a battery-less FOB somewhere in the car as a backup and either have a hide-a-key or use On-Star to open my door.

Thanks
    Jon
    There is no chip in the metal key. No need for it. The only thing the metal key will do is open the driver's door. There is no ignition switch that accepts the metal key, you MUST have the fob in order to start the car. FYI, the fob does not have to have a battery in it. Onstar can unlock the doors, but you must have a fob to start the car and drive it.
    2013 Crystal Red - D 2516 - Delivered 10/16/2012
    U235 Powered

Quote Originally Posted by TSquare View Post
    There is no chip in the metal key. No need for it. The only thing the metal key will do is open the driver's door. There is no ignition switch that accepts the metal key, you MUST have the fob in order to start the car. FYI, the fob does not have to have a battery in it. Onstar can unlock the doors, but you must have a fob to start the car and drive it.
    There is a hidden key slot under the dash tray that the manual says you need to put your key in if the battery in the FOB dies. Also for programming other FOBs. A wondered if this was activated by the key itself and not the FOB or it needed to be there for the chip to read - are you familiar with the key slot inside?

There is a hidden key slot under the dash tray that the manual says you need to put your key in if the battery in the FOB dies. Also for programming other FOBs. A wondered if this was activated by the key itself and not the FOB or it needed to be there for the chip to read - are you familiar with the key slot inside?
    The "key slot" under the dash tray is just a hole for the metal key so that the fob is positioned perfectly for the receiver. It needs to be very close so that the receiver can read it even if the battery in the fob is dead, or missing.
    2013 Crystal Red - D 2516 - Delivered 10/16/2012
    U235 Powered

Quote Originally Posted by JetPIC View Post
    Most modern cars won't start without the correct immobilizer chip from an original key. It's an anti-theft measure. You can't just copy the blade of the key and have it work. Original, programmed key, or nothing. Just keep track of it along with your house key, and don't worry about hiding one on the car.

Oh, and it's 'fob', not FOB. No need to shout it, and it's not an acronym. A 'key fob' is a medallion used to identify a key ring. The word has taken on a new meaning with respect to cars since the fob became integrated with the key in many cars, and now the fob pretty much *is* the key.
    OK please clarify (immobilizer chip) can I purchase a key with this chip much like other chipped keys? The reason I'm asking is because the manual says you can place the blade of the key fob into a hole on the dash that will allow you to start the car if the fob battery dies. I find in life if you don't prepare for disaster it will happen and in life "stuff" happens. I've only lost keys twice in my 53 years of life but I'm usually prepared if I do. I already know I have the option of keeping track of my keys and not worrying about it

Quote Originally Posted by TSquare View Post
    The "key slot" under the dash tray is just a hole for the metal key so that the fob is positioned perfectly for the receiver. It needs to be very close so that the receiver can read it even if the battery in the fob is dead, or missing.
    Ok I get it - that make sense

Thank you

Advertisement

1. you need the fob to start the car BUT you do NOT need a battery in the fob to start the car if you put it in the tray-slot.

2. This way you should not get the fob detected message if you hide a key.

I have tried 1 but not 2.
    2012 RED Volt VIN:#C-8860 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    09/29/2011 Ordered -- 11/15/2011 took it home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast