GM Volt Forum banner

Blink Card Holders Can Use Chargepoint Chargers (& vice-versa)

15K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Toasty 
#1 ·
Blink Card Holders Can Use Chargepoint Chargers (& vice-versa)

Pat Romano, the CEO of ChargePoint, uses the analogy of ATM machines...

"If you have a Bank of America card, you can still get cash out of a Wells Fargo ATM machine," said Romano. "This is the same thing."

(read more...)

#2 ·
This helps solve an actual problem. Having to have a separate for each separate company is just a pain. I've said it's like needing a Shell card for a Shell station and a Chevron card for a Chevron station. Only it's worse because you have to have a credit card on file for each company, which means constantly updating the account.

#4 ·
This is definitely a step in the right direction. Since Blink is starting to put charging stations in my area, my Chargepoint card is even more convenient.

#8 ·
I don't mind having different cards for the different stations. So no big deal to me.

I doubt this will help the situation with EVGo, though. They have a lot of stations in my area. Some are the only stations around. But nobody can use them because they require a monthly subscription instead of a pay-per-use scenario. I just can't justify paying a monthly fee for something I won't use more than 3 times per year.

#9 ·
This cross-licensing is a great idea; won't help with short-sighted local policies

We stopped for dinner at Rick Halberg's Local Kitchen and Grill in Ferndale, Michigan on 9 Mile Road just west of Woodward Ave last Friday and parked behind the restaurant in the public parking spot. We have a ChargePoint card but the electric station was a Blink station. We tried to log in as a guest by phoning the authorization number on the station. After waiting for nearly 10 minutes, the agent took our information and told us that they get called all the time but they cannot authorize the charger. He said that apparently, the Downtown Development Authority gives out cards to citizens of Ferndale to use and if you are from out of town, you are out of luck. If this is actually true, it is a very short-sighted policy. One would think that the DDA would welcome out of town visitors to come and patronize local businesses.

I will list this station along with the one at the discount mall in Michigan City, Indiana where, in the shadow of a nuclear plant, it costs $2.00 per hour to charge your car. At that rate, it costs less to use gasoline than electricity.

#10 ·
We stopped for dinner at Rick Halberg's Local Kitchen and Grill in Ferndale, Michigan on 9 Mile Road just west of Woodward Ave last Friday and parked behind the restaurant in the public parking spot. We have a ChargePoint card but the electric station was a Blink station. We tried to log in as a guest by phoning the authorization number on the station. After waiting for nearly 10 minutes, the agent took our information and told us that they get called all the time but they cannot authorize the charger. He said that apparently, the Downtown Development Authority gives out cards to citizens of Ferndale to use and if you are from out of town, you are out of luck. If this is actually true, it is a very short-sighted policy. One would think that the DDA would welcome out of town visitors to come and patronize local businesses.

I will list this station along with the one at the discount mall in Michigan City, Indiana where, in the shadow of a nuclear plant, it costs $2.00 per hour to charge your car. At that rate, it costs less to use gasoline than electricity.
At first I thought that is a great idea--residents' property taxes helping the EV cause, but then I saw that they still charge per hour? I think residents should be able to charge for free and out-of-towners should be charged per hour.

#11 ·
Two quick points gleaned from the press release: first, it isn't live yet and they don't say when it will be other than "later this year." Second, it looks like there WILL be a fee if using an out-of-network card - i.e., using a Chargepoint card on a Blink charger will add a fee to the transaction. :(

#14 ·
It appears that EXISTING USERS will have to get NEW CARD for this "CollaborateV" service, that allows access to the NEW service across both networks...and WHAT DO YOU BET they will charge for this new card!!

They said:

"Collaboratev, a separate service that will allow for charging at any of the two companies' stations and billing across both networks"

Note the "separate service".

#17 ·
I am not sure they can get too exorbitant with out of network fees, because unlike the ATM model, it is too easy for customers to open another account, associate it with a credit card and just stick two charging access cards/fobs/RFIDtags/whatever in the glove box. However, if they do something simple, like a "25 cent per use convenience fee for out of network charging" and apply that even if it is a "free - but must be a member" charger, people will probably pay it, and those quarters add up fast.

#19 ·
With Blink you pay $3 for 2hrs and 5min of charge time. You get 5 minutes of grace. I believe ChargePoint is prorated to the minute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.