Less than flattering review of C-MAX ENERGI from Car and Driver
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Less than flattering review of C-MAX ENERGI from Car and Driver

Default Less than flattering review of C-MAX ENERGI from Car and Driver

Eventually it becomes annoying as the car frequently informs you that regenerative braking is yet one more thing in your life at which you are tragically inadequate.
    Something tells me the reviewer has other issues that he is projecting onto the car...
    Black Volt C-4730

Meh for both the review and the C-Max. Yes the C-Max is a complete dog in EV Mode. But when used as a parallel hybrid, which is what it is, the C-Max returns decent MPG. But then the question is why not just get the hybrid version which is a lot cheaper.

It's the same question you have to ask about the PIP and the standard Prius: Why spend so much more for slightly better MPG and worse performance?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

"After several trips across Southern California racking up more than 400 miles, we achieved 33 mpg overall, with about 100 of those miles in all-electric mode. "

That seems impossible. Sadly, like most folks, I don't think the writer actually understands how these vehicles work.

That said, I also don't get the Energi or the PiP. I'd never buy a car like that, which always still uses gasoline to behave like a normal car (e.g. highway, passing ability, etc), then gets worse mpg on hybrid-only mode than the regular hybrid. I'd rather just have a regular hybrid and not worry about plugging the thing in, worse mpg on road trips, extra parts, more money. So much to give up for so little in return.

Now the Volt, on the other hand, I have a lifetime 600 mpg with no sacrifice in performance, better range, etc. Now that's worth it.
    ==Proud owner of a Black 2013 Volt==

I actually thought the reviewer did a reasonable job. Especially with the C/D slant, which cares not for green nor planet. But they love any Honda or BMW, no matter what the reality is.

So far, plug-in hybrids like the C-Max simply don't make very good electric cars. Their e-motors are too weak.

I am still waiting for GM to send the Volt down here, but Ford is already putting out local ads about the hybrid Fusion. I took my wife for a test drive of the Fusion Titanium and its "Park Assist". She likes the car and the assist (I was watching her inside the car during the test drive).

Ford will sell the Fusion Energi by the end of this year. So if GM still doesn't sell in PR the Volt by the end of this year, my wife's next vehicle could eventually be the 2014 Fusion Energi.
    Raymond
    No Volt or Bolt EV yet!

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed at 7.2 kW
    Registered EVSE at PlugShare
    Waiting for the first EV to charge!

Quote Originally Posted by volt11 View Post
    But they love any Honda or BMW, no matter what the reality is.
    Got to go with whoever is paying the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by TH_Orn View Post

However... if you look at results on Fuelly dot com or fueleconomy dot gov, you'll find that the C-Max fuel economy doesn't equal the larger Prius V. C/D probably really lashed the Energi to do as badly as they did but... the C-Maxes just don't do all that well in the real world. Ford fans will tell you that the car's pretty good because some drivers get really good fuel economy.
    So the question is: Is the C-Max inherently less efficient? Or is the worse real world results the result of most drivers wanting to move faster than the V can, and using the extra power the C-Max has?

I suspect the second is the larger player, in which case improving the metric would require making the car worse to drive - maybe it's the wrong metric?

At least my Volt renders the measurement moot.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    So the question is: Is the C-Max inherently less efficient? Or is the worse real world results the result of most drivers wanting to move faster than the V can, and using the extra power the C-Max has?
    Good point. And the fact that they're all brand new cars and people are probably enjoying their brand new cars. Given it's the first American prius-like hybrid, there are probably a lot of first-time hybrid owners in them as well. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in time.

Of course, there's probably someone out there who has done a head to head, driving them the same way, but i'm too lazy to find it.
    ==Proud owner of a Black 2013 Volt==

12. Advertisement

Just what is the obsession of 0 to 60 in a daily (aka commuter car) driver? When looking to obtain maximum efficiency any dufus can get more mpg or per charge using and somewhat lighter foot that one that wants 0 to 60 results. I routinely prove that when driving my wife's car when after she runs the results down. There is no prize for being first to the next stop light.
    '12 Volt (CU114907) Best all electric day 98.73

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text