Moral Delimma over dashcam footage.
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Moral Delimma over dashcam footage.

Default Moral Delimma over dashcam footage.

Driving to work this morning (Rural country road) and an older lady (maybe 70's) in an Impala in front of me suddenly swerves wildly to avoid a snake in the road nearly losing control of her car. Her car then "edges" the ditch and she just obliterates a pair of mailboxes on a post before she gets back on the road and just keeps going.

I've got all of that on camera and you can clearly make out the make/model/license plate.

I'm a little torn about reporting it because I'm pretty sure the penalties for destroying a mailbox are a little too severe, while at the same time, the drivers rather jolting over-reaction makes me wonder if she should actually be on the road.

Thoughts, opinions?
    A study in opposites
    1997 Jeep Cherokee
    2013 Chevy Volt "OHM-RIDE"

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    while at the same time, the drivers rather jolting over-reaction makes me wonder if she should actually be on the road.

Thoughts, opinions?
    This is the key line right here Dutch IMHO. She could hurt others, or herself, fatally. If any of us were to lose loved ones due to a person on the road who no longer possesses, for whatever reason, the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle and it could have been prevented, that would compound the tragedy. Could be a number of factors, medication, lack of sleep, lack of skill. Whatever the reason it needs to be addressed.

I know that may sound over the top some, but these things have, and will, happen. And if it could be prevented, it should.

In terms of the penalties being too severe, the driver could have also pulled over and worked with the homeowners to make the damage right without bringing in cops and criminal penalties. She chose not to do that either.

Driving to work this morning (Rural country road) and an older lady (maybe 70's) in an Impala in front of me suddenly swerves wildly to avoid a snake in the road nearly losing control of her car. Her car then "edges" the ditch and she just obliterates a pair of mailboxes on a post before she gets back on the road and just keeps going.

I've got all of that on camera and you can clearly make out the make/model/license plate.

I'm a little torn about reporting it because I'm pretty sure the penalties for destroying a mailbox are a little too severe, while at the same time, the drivers rather jolting over-reaction makes me wonder if she should actually be on the road.

Thoughts, opinions?
    Somebody has to pay to for the mailboxes. Luckily it was mailboxes not a couple of kids walking to school on the shoulder. That has a higher penalty.
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

You could try contacting one of the mailbox owners just to make them aware you have a dashcam video avail and leave the decision up to them if they wish to pursue compensation...

It looks like in Virginia dash cams are legal, so maybe call your local non emergency police number for what you saw. They might already have something for the mailboxes if the owner reported it. Alternately, you could mention it to the owner of the mailboxes that you have footage if they are interested in pursuing the issue.

I think Kraven nailed it. She was on a public road so all assumptions of privacy are null and void.

I'm sure the penalties for destroying mailboxes only apply to mailboxes which are intentionally destroyed. Can't see accidents resulting in penalties other than the bill to fix them. Also, having not seen the video, the video may not be clear cut. Agree that it would likely be a good idea if she wasn't driving if indeed she is not capable. If it is a degenerative physical or mental problem, not likely to get better moving forward. Tough call when there aren't other means of transportation available.

Now that you blabbed the whole thing on the internet, the old lady's son will soon be knocking on your door, demanding the video from you at gunpoint.
    2017 Mosaic Black Volt

Quote Originally Posted by caskConditionedAle View Post
    Now that you blabbed the whole thing on the internet, the old lady's son will soon be knocking on your door, demanding the video from you at gunpoint.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/xIpeTMWq8eli0/giphy.gif
    A study in opposites
    1997 Jeep Cherokee
    2013 Chevy Volt "OHM-RIDE"

Advertisement

Seems pretty common for marginal drivers with a problem to have a series of incidents. If that's the case, this driver will very likely be soon noticed by a LEO. She may already have had some recent accidents or been pulled over.

There is a very thin line between the public doing good by reporting, and a citizen trying to be like a policeman. Also, you may be asked to give a statement, and in more serious matters to testify at some kind of hearing.
    Last edited by Random; 1 Week Ago at 11:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text