The right deal in SoCal
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: The right deal in SoCal

Default The right deal in SoCal

On our first Volt we were somewhat taken advantage of, and paid a few thousand more than necessary. We'd like to do better this time.

Our 2012 is fine, but we nevertheless plan to buy a new 2017 in the next few weeks - surely our last car. We want a Premiere, preferably in Summit White, loaded with ACC and automatic safety functions. Online resources tell us to expect $40k or so - but to look for GM incentives and ask for dealer help. We have cash, and super credit if we decide to finance.

Also, there's the question of our loaded 2012 with ~65k miles, which we own outright. The car is in fine shape and still has extended warranty remaining. Trade in? Sell privately? Value?

We'll be grateful for guidance regarding strategy, source, timing, incentives, etc.
    -----
    Ancient Engineer says: "It's not really yours till you've voided the warranty..."
    -----
    1963: home-built electric VW
    2004: Gen 2 Prius
    2012: Volt and *WOW!*
    2017: Gen 2 Volt, loving it

When selling a used car you will always do better in a private sale but there is a hassle factor. Try CarMax. They'll give you an offer of a purchase price which is good for 7 days. That way you'll at least have a base.

On new cars, the best deals showed up a a few months back. Maybe $5K or even $5.5K off. Then prices backed up a bit. Right now the discount is more like $4700 - $5000. As we move towards the next MY prices are likely to go down a bit, and the car market is soft in general, but nothing is guaranteed. I'd likely wait a month or so and see what shakes out. Some people expect a fire sale but I don't see that given the inventory level.

For a good idea on price, look at Rydell. You don't have to buy from them but its pricing gives you a good idea of what you can expect.
    Last edited by DonC; 1 Week Ago at 08:47 PM.

DonC gives very good advice above. I have used AutoTrader.com to sell a few cars over the years, great success with that platform. As Don said, you will have to handle your own business, talk/email/text with prospective buyers, do the test drive, sale document and transfer title. So there is some sales and administration if you handle yourself. If you are a point in life where you don't want/need those tasks, then that CarMax sounds like a decent option to consider in addition to asking what a dealer might give your for a trade. Go to CarMax first so you have that info before you go to a dealer and determine what trade value they will give.

On the new car side, as the year progresses deals will probably get better the closer we get to MY2018 being released as is usual. I have experiences, both positive, with Weseloh in San Diego and Selman in Orange County. Rydell as a start might be good then go from there. Email is the best way to negotiate price. In fact I won't step foot in a dealership until I have a commitment via email on price and the actual inventory number/VIN of the vehicle I'm looking to purchase along with the electronic version of the Monroney sticker so I can see all the options included to ensure it has what I want. I have the exact vehicle you are looking for, options etc. and I think I got around $5.5K off MSRP. That was a fair price and was last Fall. I expect you can get close to that, pretty consistent with what Don is saying as well.

Right now I'd be watching for a 4th of July special, but my strategy, if you are looking to buy in the next few weeks, would be to email these dealerships tomorrow and see what you can do as we approach month end. Often times a dealership is close to getting a sales quota/bonus and if you are one that helps put them at that number, or real close to it, you can get a better deal.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like as well for any other help you might need.
    2nd Gen Volt, Build Date 8/16

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Good prescription for success!
    It's Rydell and CarMax tomorrow, at least for benchmarks. Weseloh is very convenient, so with numbers in hand from an aggressive dealer (Rydell) perhaps I can get them to match.
    Thanks.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Use Kelly blue book (kbb.com) to get an idea of what dealer tradein vs. private sale prices might be for your used volt.

As a rule, I will never trade in a car at the dealership ever again as they will get you coming and going. When buying the best time to buy a new 2017 is in 2018. But then you are left with remaining inventory and might have to drive farther to find exactly what you need. As a benchmark of what is possible I got my 2013 premium new with a $44k MSRP for $21k, but that included a GM card rebate, the $5k price drop between 2013-14, and a $4k state rebate (program has since been suspended). Dealerships in rural towns where mostly what they sell are pickups is a prime location to pick up an ignored volt at a steep discount, where trying to get one in the LA area means there are plenty of competing buyers and you might end up paying more. It's all about patience and a big game of chicken waiting for the best deal to get better vs. possibly losing the deal to someone else.

I think the reason my car sat in the lot so long is that the $44k MSRP scared most people off. It certainly prevented me from inquiring about the car until the end of the model year after the car had been on the lot for most of the year. I was pleasantly surprised how many discounts they had thrown onto the car, above and beyond what was on their website.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Thanks!

Online sources such as KBB indicate that our 2012's trade-in value is about $8k and that it would retail for about $11k. We plan to keep the 120VAC charge cord, which adds a few bucks to our side of the deal. We have a Blink 240VAC charger in my garage.

Online carbuying calculators indicate that a fully loaded 2017 should cost about $37k (before trade-in, minus special incentives, ignoring rebates).

Therefore, I'll need about $29k (minus incentives) for a trade-in deal and about $26k if I peddle the 2012 myself. Presumably the incentives menu changes often, so that's the major variable.

We want a white 2017 Premier Volt, loaded. With those approximate numbers in hand, we can shop. Today should be interesting, but I'd rather visit the dentist than a car dealer so will - as suggested - try to do most of the dialog via email. I have no problem traveling to a distant dealership if the numbers are worth it.

Any further advice regarding numbers, incentives, opportunities, expectations, or specific dealers will be GREATLY appreciated!

Email Carmine at sales@weseloh.com Very nice guy, fair and a Volt owner himself.
    2nd Gen Volt, Build Date 8/16

Quote Originally Posted by notaguru View Post
    We plan to keep the 120VAC charge cord, which adds a few bucks to our side of the deal.
    What does this mean? Are you planning to trade or sell your car without the factory EVSE? Who would want that deal? You will be getting a new EVSE with the new car that has 120V/240V capability. Why hogtie your trade/sale by withholding necessary accessories?
    2013 Base, Summit White w/ Pebble Beige, purchased 8/2/16
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for that correction -

From GM's car configuration menu, I saw that the charge cord is listed as a $500+ accessory. From your note, I guess that's if the buyer needs another one for a second charging location. So - my cable will go with the car, as I need only one.

ALSO: I just received a written proposal from Dealer #1 (Weseloh) for a 100% loaded white car, for $26k plus my 2012.
    Last edited by notaguru; 1 Week Ago at 12:53 PM.

12. Advertisement

That sounds like the deal you were looking for. Wait at your peril!
    2013 Base, Summit White w/ Pebble Beige, purchased 8/2/16
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text