GM Volt Forum banner

Spy photos hint that next Cadillac SUV might have a plug-in hybrid powertrain

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  !arry4pyro 
#1 ·
The article suggests the upcoming Cadillac XT4 may have a turbocharged 2 liter ICE and a plug. This sounds a lot like the CT-6 hybrid powertrain. Coming out in late 2018 also makes sense as this about the time GM is expected to reach their 200,000 unit breakpoint, after which the Federal tax credit begins to diminish, but there's no limit on the number of vehicles GM could apply this diminishing credit to.

http://www.hybridcars.com/cadillac-xt4-spy-photos-hint-at-plug-in-hybrid-powertrain/

#2 ·
That's actually awesome, only question is price, the PHEV version of the CT6 commands a $20K premium over the base CT6...

#4 ·
This second set of spy shots is consistent with the first, both showing what appears to be a plug port. Seems to be the SUV that everyone says will be a huge hit.

That's a terrible comparison. After rebates the hybrid is cheaper than a similarly equipped CT6. Even if you ignore the back seat infotainment systems which seem a stretch. The rest of the stuff is what you'd expect on a car like the CT6.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm in...if it's around $50k and the cargo area doesn't have the CT6 lump of a battery in the back.

Or...maybe they are putting in that little flap on the fender cover to get the rest of the auto manufacturers to think this is a hybrid and coerce them to get into the game. They could just as easily not put in that flap to hide the fact it was electric.

If steve jobs built an EV while he was alive, he would have put on fake tailpipes and made it look like a small schoolbus to hide the real body underneath

#7 ·
So where do we think an XT4 plugin wood be priced? I'm guessing $75k because all other caddies with a plug came in at $75k (ELR, CT6 plugin). I hope they surprise us and it's $50k before tax credit. I also hope it's the CT6 drivetrain (little turbo 4 banger with Voltec goodies). If it ends up being a BEV, here's hoping for 180+ miles of range. It better have AWD.

#12 ·
What I'm wondering is if a powerful plug-in hybrid powertrain is used in a Cadillac, how much longer before we see a more mundane plug-in powertrain in the Equinox? An Equinox with a Voltec transmission coupled to a normally aspirated 1.8 liter ICE as in the Malibu Hybrid but with the larger Volt battery could be a pretty sweet vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.