Just Purchased New Volt - New Ottawa Ownet
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Just Purchased New Volt - New Ottawa Ownet

Since you only have to recharge for 25 KM back at home , I wouldn't worry about the 12 or 8 amps ... 8 amps will be good ...
    8 amps will recharge approximately 8 km per hours...( I know it's not exact measure) ....

The charger i have at home and am recommending it it is the chargepoint 32 amp with 25 feet of cable ... my charger is place approximately in the middle of the back/front wall ... this will allow me to charge outside the garage if needed too.
    I did purcahse the one without the male plugin (direct connection in an electrical box)... I wanted to save some money but that did not work as my electrician charge me for an extra disconnect box(electrical code in Ontario) ... So if I were you I would install an NEMA 50 female and purchase the charger with a plugin...

Quote Originally Posted by slylrux View Post
    Since you only have to recharge for 25 KM back at home , I wouldn't worry about the 12 or 8 amps ... 8 amps will be good ...
    8 amps will recharge approximately 8 km per hours...( I know it's not exact measure) ....

The charger i have at home and am recommending it it is the chargepoint 32 amp with 25 feet of cable ... my charger is place approximately in the middle of the back/front wall ... this will allow me to charge outside the garage if needed too.
    I did purcahse the one without the male plugin (direct connection in an electrical box)... I wanted to save some money but that did not work as my electrician charge me for an extra disconnect box(electrical code in Ontario) ... So if I were you I would install an NEMA 50 female and purchase the charger with a plugin...
    When electrical equipment such as an AC compressor or an EVSE is hard wired, i.e. you can't just unplug it if you need to, a separate disconnect box/switch is also required by electrical code in the US.
    Drive electrically and enjoy the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by slylrux View Post

Thanks - so I will just keep the factory setting then right and plug in at work as needed. I am having a Chargepoint being installed for home so the factory settings that will come with the Volt this week will recognize that as a level 2 charger, right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Dgcan75 View Post
    Thanks - so I will just keep the factory setting then right and plug in at work as needed. I am having a Chargepoint being installed for home so the factory settings that will come with the Volt this week will recognize that as a level 2 charger, right?
    Yes, the Volt will recognize that the ChargePoint Level II EVSE is providing 240V power to the Volt and will set itself accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgcan75 View Post
    Yes. That being said, once you have the car at home, you should set that as your default home location and setup your charging preferences in the settings. Otherwise, it will start charging as soon as you plug in. You will need to input the summer & winter Ottawa Hydro rate schedule, and then set a departure time for each day. You can then change the charging preferences to either finish charging by the departure time, or start as soon as you plug in, or wait until it is an off-peak time, etc.

You also mentioned setting the -10 ERDTT, it should be noted in the settings it is called "delayed" it doesn't show the temp.

Quote Originally Posted by organia View Post
    Yes. That being said, once you have the car at home, you should set that as your default home location and setup your charging preferences in the settings. Otherwise, it will start charging as soon as you plug in. You will need to input the summer & winter Ottawa Hydro rate schedule, and then set a departure time for each day. You can then change the charging preferences to either finish charging by the departure time, or start as soon as you plug in, or wait until it is an off-peak time, etc.

You also mentioned setting the -10 ERDTT, it should be noted in the settings it is called "delayed" it doesn't show the temp.
    The setting is noted in the 2017 Volt Owner's Manual, p.143 under Vehicle Settings => Climate and Air Quality => Engine Assist Heat: can be set to On or Deferred

Quote Originally Posted by organia View Post

Thanks for all the help. So very much appreciated. I plan to set the volt to charge overnight during the week at home and then on Saturday and Sunday to charge immediately at plugin. I plan to set the Volt to charge immediate at plugin during the day Monday to Friday at work

Just set the charger (chargerpoint) to charge during off peaks. and the car to charge immediately .... and if at any time you really want to start the charging immediately at any time .. plug the charger - unplug the charger - and replug right away....(thats at home) at work you will just need to plug in once....

I got my Volt on Friday and want to thank everybody for their help - I think I have it all optimized (climate control still needs tweaking). All your feedback made the setup this weekend easy and this car's range is by far more than 85km - I am already up to 95km range as it seems to add 1 km with every charge. One thing I have noticed is that I will need to get used to the people looking at my car in parking lots, etc. Already had to show the car to people who I caught peering into the windows, etc. GM could really sell a lot of these cars of they wanted to. It really is a great car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text