Best EV for the money
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best EV for the money

Default Best EV for the money

A friend of mine has been in the solar and alternative energy business for many years. Besides being a fellow Volt owner, he also hosts a local weekly radio program where he talks about various topics in the energy field. This weeks program is on EVs and the Bolt in particular: http://cinnamonsolar.com/bestev/
    2016 Premier - Red/brandy w/DC 1, 2, and Nav (built 10/15)
    Added: Sport pedals, Illum chg port, all weather mats, sill plates, Cruze spare tire...

I love "The Energy Show" podcast. I listen to that every week. It inspired me to do PV solar at home and I bought a 2017 Volt last month. A few co-workers that also have solar also listen. Highly recommended show (and past episodes) if you are considering solar for your home..for sure!

"Best" depends on your needs. Best for the money when you don't need much range might be a cheap used Leaf. Best new one available today if you need good range: you could make a great case for the Bolt. You could also make a good case for a Volt for maximum flexibility, depending on your definition of EV. Best for prestige and performance: probably Model S. There is no one "best."

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

We could also argue that GM's own Spark EV would be the "Best EV for the money" as a commuter along side with an ICE AWD SUV to handle roadtrips especially in the event the Volt/Spark EV/Bolt are too small for your road trips...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    "Best" depends on your needs. Best for the money when you don't need much range might be a cheap used Leaf. Best new one available today if you need good range: you could make a great case for the Bolt. You could also make a good case for a Volt for maximum flexibility, depending on your definition of EV. Best for prestige and performance: probably Model S. There is no one "best."
    Thank you for posting that Barry!

I always get a little annoyed at "Best" proclamations because as you stated "There is no one "best".
    2017 Bolt Premier- Cajun Red

I posted the link because I thought folks might be interested in my friends podcast, not to stir up any angst. The basis for his "best EV for the money" is largely MSRP/AER - with some consideration for modern performance, safety, and infotainment features. It is a reasonable metric. Bolt EV is clearly a tough act to follow, though everyone hopes the Model 3 will be pretty good in its own right.

Obviously there are many other "bests" that could be discussed. And then there are used cars which are almost always a better value than new cars.
    2016 Premier - Red/brandy w/DC 1, 2, and Nav (built 10/15)
    Added: Sport pedals, Illum chg port, all weather mats, sill plates, Cruze spare tire...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Best for the money typically implies value, and most people think of the Volt as a hybrid. No new BEV comes close to the Bolt EV in terms of value generally speaking. Sure, if you don't need > 100 miles of range and don't care about resale value, you could make an argument for the Ioniq EV or i3.

I thought it was a nice podcast. Yes it's hard to talk about the best but, at this point, the Bolt EV really is in a class by itself. That's just kinda a fact. At some point there will be more competition but until that shakes out there isn't a lot of competition. The bigger issue is whether you want a hybrid for longer trips, and the podcast deals with that as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text