GM Volt Forum banner

2018 Gen 2 (1.5?) Leaf launch rumors

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Tomt 
#1 ·
#2 ·
"It will again be built for North American markets in the huge assembly plant in Smyrna, Tennessee"

Really comes down to cost, range is just one attribute, we have the remember the Prime which has less than half the range of the Volt already is outselling it...

#3 ·
It will be about seven years between the first and second releases. That's a very long time these days, especially with all the activity in the EV space. Will be good when it gets here. I wonder if the unanticipated issues were related to the use of LG Chem cells. Based on Nissan's past history, I think we can safely conclude that the new Leaf will look pretty good, come out at a lower price, and have a horrible build quality.

Really comes down to cost, range is just one attribute, we have the remember the Prime which has less than half the range of the Volt already is outselling it...
I don't think the equation is nearly that simple. When you consider the legions of Prius owners the Volt is actually killing it. Think about it. Chevy has a green car which is doing so well against the Prius that you have to pick the month where the Prius outsells it! That's mind boggling. GM has come a long way in this area, perhaps despite its best efforts. LOL In any event, Nissan has something of a problem because the Leaf doesn't appeal to the typical Nissan buyer. If you doubt that, just spend ten or fifteen minutes at a Nissan dealership. And given the quality of the first generation Leaf I can't see a ton of brand loyalty but I could be wrong.

What car you buy depends on many things. Not sure why you say price and range. By those metrics the Bolt EV would crush the Model 3, which I can't see happening. Will be fun to compare actual prices and performance when the Model 3, the Bolt EV, and the Leaf are all available.

#4 ·
Prius Prime is cannibalizing sales of its siblings, so I don't think it is actually helping Toyota's hybrid sales, rather it is switching them from a regular Prius to a Prime. I think most of the people buying it wouldn't buy anything but a Toyota. We will have to see how long sales remain at current sales levels. I think Toyota is actively trying to prevent over-producing it to keep steady demand.

I think the Volt is still largely new GM buyers. I know I never would have considered a GM before it came out, now many of there cars in the last generation I find fairly appealing so the Volt opened me up to consider other GM vehicles.

#6 ·
Based on my experiences with my 2011 Leaf (which I had for five years) and, more importantly, Nissan Corporate in general, I would never buy another Nissan product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.