Lack of 6.6kw charger b/c of cost, battery stress or something else?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Lack of 6.6kw charger b/c of cost, battery stress or something else?

Default Lack of 6.6kw charger b/c of cost, battery stress or something else?

Has GM publicly said why they didn't include a 6.6kw charger instead of the 3.3kw one?

Was/is it to keep costs down? Is it less stress on the battery?
    2014 Crystal Red, Pebble Beige

It was designed in 2006-2007. I suspect that had something to do with it. Plus, it's adequate for the charging time (4 hours). Not sure about stressing the battery, but the battery is being babied as much as possible and I think that's a good thing.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 84,576 miles, 135 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 74%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1366 miles, 125
    MPG, 65% Electric, 33% gas, Saved 48 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Pamela Fletcher described the HV battery as the most pampered automotive component every produced. My guess is that is one factor and the other was simply safety outside of the car in the garage. Less current. The difference in cost is probably a a throw away. What is also striking is GM''s decision to significantly reduce range to protect the battery.

One of the most comments I hear as a Volt driver, is aren't you worried about the battery giving out. Although my sample size is very small, its clearly a reason many use to dismiss EV's. The lifespan of 12 volt automotive batteries is well known. My response that there is little or no evidence of battery issues with the Volt is usually greeted with a raised eyebrow.
    Last edited by jfkirk; 02-18-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    2012 White Diamond
    2014 White Diamond ..daughters
    Hydro Powered
    (By TVA)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

My guess is GM is saving that feature for 2014 Cadillac ELR.
    ....to go with the higher capacity battery
    2013 Chev Volt 29Nov2012
    Silver Topaz Metallic
    Nav / Bose System

Quote Originally Posted by jfkirk View Post
    One of the most comments I hear as a Volt driver, is aren't you worried about the battery giving out.
    That might have been a Fox News/Limbaugh inspired notion. I don't know if your own experiences validate this, but in my experience, most people forget where they hear many of the beliefs they hold to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by realdb2 View Post
    Has GM publicly said why they didn't include a 6.6kw charger instead of the 3.3kw one?

Was/is it to keep costs down? Is it less stress on the battery?
    I don't know about any official statements by GM on the topic, but it's probably a little of both.

Moreover, a fast charger just isn't that important on an EREV. On a BEV where you might need to wait for your car to finish charging before starting your next trip, a fast charger can be very valuable. But with an EREV it's just not that big of a deal.
    2013 #3197 - Blue Topaz Metallic

When they first rolled out the Volt forum at the GM web site they were quite clear that it was out of concern that it would stress the battery. I hope the next generation of Volt is able to use 6.6 kW and DC charging. Personally if forced to choose I'd go with the DC charging. Unless you have something to do two hours is too long.

One big benefit of 6.6 kW charging is that it would cut the cost of charging at public chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post

One big benefit of 6.6 kW charging is that it would cut the cost of charging at public chargers.
    3.3 kW is fine for overnight charging, but I want a 6.6 kW for this reason. $2/hr charging stations are like buying gas at $8/gal. With a 6.6 kW charger the same charging station would be equivelent to $4/gal, and I could get a full charge in 2 hour stop.

GSP

I think the 3.3Kw charger in the Volt is plenty. Half of Volt users are charging from 120V anyway. I imagine 5% of Volt owners would benefit from a faster charger. It just isn't worth the extra cost.

I think it would be much more beneficial for an all-electric vehicle, however.
    2014 BMW i3 REx (White)
    2017 Chevy Volt (Iridescent Pearl)

12. Advertisement

While I would love a 6.6kWh charger (it would be the first option I would check when buying a new one). Remember even the $100k+ Fisker Karma only has a 3.3kWh charger. I think it is symptomatic of when it was designed and possibly cost. Most new PEVs will have 6.6, it's just a matter of time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Blue Topaz Volt - 11/18/11 to 11/17/14 - 36,806 EV miles. Now waiting for the B̶o̶l̶t̶/Model 3!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text