GM Volt Forum banner

2016-17 Volt engine / power train; update improvement in mpg on gas

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Saint 
#1 ·
Has any other forum members noticed that after the engine software update their mpg's on gas has improved. We have a 2016 Volt Premier purchased July 2016.

I noticed at least 3-4 mpg improvement on gas, when compared to pre update. I compared the voltstats.net monthy mpg cs averages for comparison, also last few trips were over 50 mpg on gas, summer conditions and moderate speeds of course.

Electric range also seems to have somewhat improved. Yesterday fully charged the electric range read 68 miles. Infact yesterday my wife and I went fishing roundtrip 135.5 miles, Wilson River in Tillamook Oregon via Highway 101. 68.1 miles on gas (50 mpg) and 67.4 on electric, still had 1 mile left when we arrived home. Cost less to take the Volt than our 2010 Prius even including $1.80 for a full charge of electricity.

#3 ·
My dealer--any good dealer--will check for factory updates at a service call. There is a complete, permanent service record for every VIN sold and serviced by Chevy. My '16 did seem to benefit from several updates at its first service at 15 months, but I'm thinking some of this is weather-related.

#4 ·
Last service I had was back in Dec so maybe they did the same update as you, alfon? Do you remember which TSB it was?

#5 ·
I don't remember the TSB that was performed but it was a software update which I believe reprogrammed the engine and electric motors. I noticed after this was done the engine ran smoother, the mpg's improvement was also noticeable. I recall some in this forum had their 2016 Volt that would when running on gas chuggle. We had a similar problem with our Volt, to me it was more of not being smooth.

After the service was performed I told the Chevy Service Manager of the improvement. He stated that another Volt owner who had the same service done also told him the same improvement with their Volt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.