GM Volt Forum banner

LUCID AIR the competition getting hotter

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  llninja 
#1 ·
I just googled this new total electric car,,,i have not seen or driven one... has anyone in the forum ?...I observed the outside rear mirror is very thin, half the diameter of the VOLT,,,,probably not much noise or resistance, in my 2014 Volt I noticed 1/2 of the mirror shows cars and the highway, but the other upper half just sky or trees...wonder why GM did not thin out the mirror, it would have cut the noise...talking about noise the LUCID AIR has active noise cancellation for the tires!!!...the base price is $55,000 not bad for such a beauty...No doubt electric cars are getting hot in California.

#2 ·
I have not seen or driven one... has anyone in the forum.
Did you notice that the car won't go into production 'til 2018 (MY or calendar ?)? Price I've seen is $60K before tax credit; kinda rich for my blood, but the question is why the big manufacturers never produce the really exotic looking bodies. Concept cars are often beautiful and then they opt for a much more mundane look on the production vehicle. I realize that some stampings might be more difficult than others, but an extra $5K in selling price should make it doable -- cover extra finishing work or material costs. Fisker, Lucid, and Faraday Future seem to recognize what excites people . . . GM, not so much.

#3 ·
Lucid has made a lot of promises - very aggressive promises on both price and technical performance.

They aren't anywhere close to delivering a car yet, and I'll be shocked if they manage to deliver anything resembling the car they've promised in 2018 for $60k - or even for $100k.

It's great to see folks trying to take Tesla head-on. Hopefully some of them actually bring cars to the market at some point.

#4 ·
I'd like to see somebody, anybody, make a 2 door sports car like an i8 or NSX, but all electric, but for a Corvette $50-60k price. The ELR is close. Strangely enough, I'm about to become an empty nester (high schooler is headed to a boarding school very close to where forum member Mister Dave lives, so this is coming 3 years earlier than planned) I'm ready for my midlife crisis vehicle. The Tesla Roadster, although nice looking, needs a makeover. Why Tesla hasn't taken the model S platform and made it into a 2 door like Cadillac did with the CTS is beyond me. The dashboard, interior seats, and drivetrain can be identical.

#5 ·
Once again we are in similar boats! ...I've been looking and Musk has tweeted that two - three years or so from now we can look for an updated roadster He says it will be slightly bigger. I'm avoiding Gen 1 for other reasons...look up Tesla roadster brick. they actually need an entire new battery if the battery gets fully depleted.

#6 ·
Yeah, but I want this next year. Not 2 or 3 years from now.

#9 ·
I had a reservation for a model 3, and decided to get a refund as I think I need something bigger. A model S might still be in the cards, but with all the new luxury cars coming (jaguar iPace, Volvo V60 OHEV, Faraday Future F90, Lucid Motors, and even Porsche) it's going to start getting crowded in the luxury electric vehicle segment.

#10 ·
The things going for the Lucid is they will be in collaboration to supply batteries for the 2019 Formula-E season...The 1000hp is impressive for the price assuming they can put it to the ground and get a low 0-60...1000hp wouldn't have a lot of appeal unless you're able to do 0-60 in well under 4 seconds...While it's sleek with clean lines, its not gorgeous...

#11 ·
Top of the line $160k model will do 0-60 in 2.5seconds, but they're looking at 2019 release due to financing. I believe they were running on money from LeEco which has since had money issues.

It's pretty unique and kind of strange, but I like seeing a real company starting a car from scratch. Hopefully they will land some funding and get this car to production.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.