Kilowatts needed to recharge.
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Kilowatts needed to recharge.

Default Kilowatts needed to recharge.

I am on a hourly meter electric so my charge for electric changes every hour. I was wondering how many kilowatts are needed to recharge a 2012 Volt battery that is run down? Reason I am asking is that when recharging at night I see sometimes my electric is as low as -.01 cents per KWh and might go up to +.02 cents per KWh at the highest. It usually takes around 3 hours on my Clipper creek 220 unit. I have seen it at a record low of -16 cents per KWh. I am in suburb of Chicago on ComEd electric.

Ballpark about 12, but to be safe round it up to 13. This is to FULLY charge an empty battery.
    Tom aka Accidental Electronaut
    USAF Retired
    My garage
    2017 GMC Acadia Denali w/ACC
    2017 Volt Premier w/ACC

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

How in the world do you get paid 16 cents per kWh to use electricity? If there were some way for a computer to check the hourly prices, I could see investing in some powerwalls to snag -0.16 or any negative rate charging times to fill the battery, then turn around and use it whenever you need it.

For a 2012, 9.6 kWh is the battery's capacity from empty to full. There are charging losses, so estimate 11-13 kWh. If it is really cold or really hot the car will use heat or AC to keep the battery in good shape.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    How in the world do you get paid 16 cents per kWh to use electricity? If there were some way for a computer to check the hourly prices, I could see investing in some powerwalls to snag -0.16 or any negative rate charging times to fill the battery, then turn around and use it whenever you need it.

For a 2012, 9.6 kWh is the battery's capacity from empty to full. There are charging losses, so estimate 11-13 kWh. If it is really cold or really hot the car will use heat or AC to keep the battery in good shape.
    I suspect his area has feed from something like nuclear power stations that can't be "ramped down" during low demand. If you are making more power than there is demand on your portion of the electric grid you sell it at a loss to get other portions of the grid to cut back on production and balance the supply and demand.

Keith

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post
    I suspect his area has feed from something like nuclear power stations that can't be "ramped down" during low demand. If you are making more power than there is demand on your portion of the electric grid you sell it at a loss to get other portions of the grid to cut back on production and balance the supply and demand.

Keith
    I used to live in Chicagoland a couple decades ago. This must be something new. Although I have a nuclear power plant less than 30 miles away from me, I've never seen hourly rates like this. If I had something like this, I'd be making spreadsheets to see if I could possibly use a powerwall to capture the electricity as they pay me. I'd have a bunch of tablets throughout the house monitoring the power rates, and maybe even create an arduino or Edison device to take appropriate charging/no charging actions. Heck, start a company that just houses a big bank of batteries in a warehouse for some company that always uses electricity and arbitrage the system, soaking in power when ComEd pays you, then selling that power at a discount to the consumer.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

To be pedantic: either 1 or 1.4 at 120V, or 3.3 on 240V
    2013 Summit White with comfort package. Picked up 9/6/13.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I've been keeping a log for the last 2 months of my KWh used via a Kill-A-Watt meter between the wall outlet and my OEM EVSE - It takes my 2015 approx 12.7KWh from an empty to full battery. If I remember correctly, my useful capacity on a 2015 is 11.3KWh.
    Last edited by redoctober; 5 Days Ago at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BAZINGA View Post
    Ballpark about 12, but to be safe round it up to 13. This is to FULLY charge an empty battery.
    I thought a full batter was 14.5 or so? A full unusable capacity of 18?

Quote Originally Posted by jupitermoon View Post
    I thought a full batter was 14.5 or so? A full unusable capacity of 18?
    Your numbers are good for a gen2 (14.4 / 18.4 kWh), the OP posted in the gen1 forum so he was given the numbers for gen1. Roughly, you can multiply the usable capacity times 1.15 or 1.2 to account for losses, thus 10.5 x 1.2 = 12.6 kWh to charge an empty gen1. I've seen it take a little more in cold weather, but that's a decent number.
    2013 Summit White with comfort package. Picked up 9/6/13.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

When I signed up for the hourly rate and hourly meter the info I got was just as "fourdoor" said. ConEd has a excess because they do not want to shut down and restart plants. They just let them run because demand will be going up soon. I can see what I am paying by the hr or every 5 minutes if I choose. I charge up in the Am so it's finished by 5 o'clock am. Usually never over 2.5 cents per KWh but last nite was right around .01 cents per KWh. The lowest was -.16 cents. The price during the day is usually all over the place and up to plus .18 cents per kWh. Just me and the wife here so we do not use a lot of electric during the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text