One way to Charge your Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One way to Charge your Volt

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by JRRF View Post
    I still like the idea of a roof and hood integrated solar panel just to keep things up. Maybe charge the 12v battery so those issues go away.
    Right, how much cost are we adding to the hood and roof vs. the cost of a new 12V battery every 3-5 years. There's no practical ROI for this. Maybe it could be a good marketing gimmick to help bolster sales - a solar panel covered car would appear more green than non-solar panel covered car. Heck, just apply some stickers that look like solar panels.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    Right, how much cost are we adding to the hood and roof vs. the cost of a new 12V battery every 3-5 years. There's no practical ROI for this. Maybe it could be a good marketing gimmick to help bolster sales - a solar panel covered car would appear more green than non-solar panel covered car. Heck, just apply some stickers that look like solar panels.
    Ask the right person and they'll tell you marketing is everything. There are plenty of people out there that you can convince to buy just about anything with the right pitch (unfortunately I know some of them )

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    And if you look at the decal on the side of the car, it's only for marketing value.
    It might not even be connected to anything (!)
    Hidden Content
    Year 1: 8101km | 97.5% EV | 6.0 L/100km CS-only
    35.1L burned | 1.5L EMM, 22.6L wasted (16.6 ERDTT, 6 dealer)
    Year 2: 9277 km | 92.5% EV | 5.0 L/100km CS-only
    29.6L burned | 0.5L EMM
    Combined EV%: 95%

-Triple-honk when exiting the vehicle (purposefully left on) - possible workaround Hidden Content

Extremely cold and can only use engine?
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by canehdian View Post
    And if you look at the decal on the side of the car, it's only for marketing value.
    It might not even be connected to anything (!)
    It might not even be a solar panel.

The Rutgers Solar-to-Vehicle (S2V) Project site hasn't been updated since 2013.

Needless to say, they don't charge their two 2012 Volts that way.
    Last edited by Mister Dave; 1 Week Ago at 06:30 PM.

I'm one to try this stuff, but also one to tell people that some goals will NEVER be achieved. Some folks seem to expect that solar will improve so much, like semiconductors, that eventually we'll have flying solar powered cars. In reality, commercial solar panels are about 20% efficient now. Best case, best conditions, they can generate about 20W per sq foot. Maybe we'll get to 40-50W per sq foot in my lifetime (commercial panels again). But we'll NEVER get to 100W per sq foot. And the total cross sectional area that faces the sun is not going to significantly change for a vehicle.
    Ed
    -2014 Volt, bought new May 2014, Silver Ice, S1, S2, Bose, Nav, Heated Black Leather, Polished Wheels, 3M Window Tint+Windshield IR block, VoltShelf-Mat-Screen, Cabin Air Filter, Red LED interior lighting, 94% EV miles
    -2015 Ford C-Max Energi (wife's car)

EVSEs: Clipper Creek HCS-40
    -2x GM 2014 factory L1, 120/240V L2 mod, 40' cord
    -Off-Grid Solar PV Pulse charger
    -Homebuilt L1, 50', 12AWG, 6/8/12A, electronics integrated into the J1772 handle

5KW Solar PV, Enphase+SolarWorld

Quote Originally Posted by edk-austin View Post
    I'm one to try this stuff, but also one to tell people that some goals will NEVER be achieved. Some folks seem to expect that solar will improve so much, like semiconductors, that eventually we'll have flying solar powered cars. In reality, commercial solar panels are about 20% efficient now. Best case, best conditions, they can generate about 20W per sq foot. Maybe we'll get to 40-50W per sq foot in my lifetime (commercial panels again). But we'll NEVER get to 100W per sq foot. And the total cross sectional area that faces the sun is not going to significantly change for a vehicle.
    While individual PV panel charging our EVs is a distant dream. I would never say never, just think of the reduction and quality of the size of our batteries, memory and speed of our cell phones in the last 20 years. Just 16 years ago the iPod was revolutionary but now we all have smart phones that are ubiquitous and essential tool for most of our everyday life.

As for PV panels, there are production panels with 35% efficiency with many patents filed for PV panels with up to 50%. Of course they cost nearly 10 times of most available commercial panels and out of reach of the traditional consumer.. Most of these highly efficient panels are used exclusively for the military.

I bet flexible PV's would work better for aerodynamics and weight. I think those would generate enough to cover my commute to work, which is only 2 miles (0.4'ish kWh). My car is usually in the sunlight all day.

The Leaf's have a small solar panel built into the rear spoiler just to trickle charge the 12v. If you read the Leaf forums, the jury is still out on if this has a true measurable impact on the 12v lifespan.

Now I do like the idea of having a roof top solar panel to power the A/C fan while the car is off on hot sunny days. The last generation Prius had that option and I thought that would have been neat to have in the Volt.
    ***2016 Volt - Kinetic Blue Metallic, LT, w/ Comfort Package and Bose***
    ***2013 Volt - Blue Topaz Metallic, Premium w/Safety Pkg 1 & 2***

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by Sean-a-Tron View Post
    I bet flexible PV's would work better for aerodynamics and weight. I think those would generate enough to cover my commute to work, which is only 2 miles (0.4'ish kWh). My car is usually in the sunlight all day.
    With such a short commute, you should just drive it like you stole it and try to at least use 1 kWh.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

12. Advertisement

You'll find a Volt with dual 100W flexible panels installed on the roof by body shop owner Mika Hardkvist on the FB Volt Owners group.
    Ed
    -2014 Volt, bought new May 2014, Silver Ice, S1, S2, Bose, Nav, Heated Black Leather, Polished Wheels, 3M Window Tint+Windshield IR block, VoltShelf-Mat-Screen, Cabin Air Filter, Red LED interior lighting, 94% EV miles
    -2015 Ford C-Max Energi (wife's car)

EVSEs: Clipper Creek HCS-40
    -2x GM 2014 factory L1, 120/240V L2 mod, 40' cord
    -Off-Grid Solar PV Pulse charger
    -Homebuilt L1, 50', 12AWG, 6/8/12A, electronics integrated into the J1772 handle

5KW Solar PV, Enphase+SolarWorld

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text