300 Mile SUV
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 300 Mile SUV

Default 300 Mile SUV

Ford’s first fully electric, long-range car is on schedule to arrive by 2020 and will boast an affordable price tag. But it’s going to have some serious competition.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...195729893.html
    Last edited by Steverino; 5 Days Ago at 07:50 PM. Reason: a little more detail

I hope Cadillac has one (XT3-e?) by 2020. My ELR will be pretty done by then. It'll be six years old.

I really need power adjustable seats for my back, so, Bolt ain't the one. Plus, I will never buy a car without at least ACC if not Super-Cruise.

2020 is only 2 model years maybe three if it's a 2021 model. This has got to be on the drawing boards if not production-intent mock-up in 2018. 2018 car shows should be interesting in the plug-in space.
    Last edited by Loboc; 5 Days Ago at 01:38 PM.
    Driving a show car. Every day! Hidden Content

------------------------
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.3 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.5.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Loboc View Post
    I hope Cadillac has one (XT3-e?) by 2020. My ELR will be pretty done by then. It'll be six years old.

I really need power adjustable seats for my back, so, Bolt ain't the one. Plus, I will never buy a car without at least ACC if not Super-Cruise.

2020 is only 2 model years maybe three if it's a 2021 model. This has got to be on the drawing boards if not production-intent mock-up in 2018. 2018 car shows should be interesting in the plug-in space.
    I think we will be seeing a lot of this very soon. The person worried the most is Elon. The technology is out there, as is the demand. Now that the big boys are making these cars, Tesla will have an increasingly uphill battle. You sort of wonder if Tesla may go the way of the Tucker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by JRRF View Post
    I think we will be seeing a lot of this very soon. The person worried the most is Elon. The technology is out there, as is the demand. Now that the big boys are making these cars, Tesla will have an increasingly uphill battle. You sort of wonder if Tesla may go the way of the Tucker.
    Tucker only built about 50 cars. There are probably more Teslas than that within a couple mile radius of my house.

Batteries are key, and Elon has a Gigafactory...
    2016 Premier - Red/brandy w/DC 1, 2, and Nav (built 10/15)
    Added: Sport pedals, Illum chg port, all weather mats, sill plates, Cruze spare tire...

Quote Originally Posted by JRRF View Post

I think they made a big mistake making the III a sedan, that isn't where the market is.

Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post
    Tucker only built about 50 cars. There are probably more Teslas than that within a couple mile radius of my house.

Batteries are key, and Elon has a Gigafactory...
    Your point is well taken, but when Tucker got into business there were orders of magnitude fewer cars anywhere. The point is , he was a revolutionary and got eaten by the established companies (and some underhanded dealings).

Yes, Tesla has the gigafactory, but I wouldn't bet on a company like GM or Mercedes with the incredible cash balances they have to buy/create whatever they want. Tesla doesn't have near the process knowledge of a Ford/GM. Innovation is great, but scale makes you king.

Looks like Ford and VW are slugging it out big time....with press releases. Actual EV cars from Ford and VW, not so much.

While the others issue press releases, GM is already working on Bolt EV Gen 2 and Volt Gen 3. By 2020, GM will have likely introduced at least one if not more EV's and EREV's as well as lite non-plug models.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

I agree that GM has a "grand opportunity" to expand their EV lineup and get in on the ground floor of the next big thing in auto.
    That isn't going to bother Elon and Tesla one bit. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivetya View Post
    I think they made a big mistake making the III a sedan, that isn't where the market is.
    Have you seen the number of preorders? Sure a compact crossover like the model Y would be in demand, yet it'll both be more expensive and harder to build...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

12. Advertisement

Elon has the setup and money to continue on - he is changing the way the big boys do business not the other way around. Now, he still has a lot of catch up to do with sales and service centers, replacement parts availability, but he is WAY ahead of any of the other new car manufacturers trying to get into the EV business.

Glad Ford is getting serious, the more the merrier and overall wasn't this Elon's goal all along? To get all the manufacturers to make EVs?

I don't own a Tesla and probably won't have the chance to for a long time - but I do admire what he has done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text