forget-horsepower-we-want-megahertz
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: forget-horsepower-we-want-megahertz

Default forget-horsepower-we-want-megahertz

Long article but I thought it was interesting enough to share...

The state of the car computer: Forget horsepower, we want megahertz!
    A study in opposites
    1997 Jeep Cherokee
    2013 Chevy Volt "OHM-RIDE"

Very extensive article, thanks. They were pretty harsh on MyLink, which I think is deserved
    2013 Summit White with comfort package. Picked up 9/6/13.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsherpa View Post
    Very extensive article, thanks. They were pretty harsh on MyLink, which I think is deserved
    I agree. It's not like any of this technology is brand new. Even the current stuff is "evolution" not revolution. It should all be pretty well hammered out at this point.
    A study in opposites
    1997 Jeep Cherokee
    2013 Chevy Volt "OHM-RIDE"

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Too bad they didn't look at CUE. Some of the imperfections outlined here are already in 2014 version of CUE. Comparing a Chevy app to a Merc or BMW app is just not fair. Try a 2017/18 CT6 next time.

With the MyCadillac phone interface, any address in the phone or on the internet can be sent to in-dash NAV. No typing. Or just use OnStar.

CUE has gesture/proximity recognition (menu's show up when the user's hand is near and disappear for a clean display when away), tactile feedback (the touch screen buzzes when a keypress is recognized), gesture (pinch-expand-scroll) in the NAV screen, split screen both within the info screen and across to the DIC. Plus, the audio controls are on the steering wheel which is better in some ways than the Audi gesture thing.

Cadillac is truly stuck in the past with their 4-skinned gauge cluster though.
    Last edited by Loboc; 05-18-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    Driving a show car. Every day! Hidden Content

---—------—------—------—---
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.3.2 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.6.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Interesting article. Pity they couldn't lay their hands on a Tesla - I'd be interested to see how they rated it against the others, it's definitely the least like the others.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    Interesting article. Pity they couldn't lay their hands on a Tesla - I'd be interested to see how they rated it against the others, it's definitely the least like the others.
    My understanding is Tesla is using an open source Android based system as well. Probably an off the shelf processor like the Nvidia Tegra 3.

One of the things the article does not mention is that the computers that go into a car have to handle much more than what a smartphone goes through. They need to handle a wider range of temperatures and environmental conditions. They have to be more reliable and be able to last 10+ years.
    Hidden Content 2017 Volt - Kinetic Blue - Black Cloth - HU3085
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Neromanceres View Post
    My understanding is Tesla is using an open source Android based system as well. Probably an off the shelf processor like the Nvidia Tegra 3.

One of the things the article does not mention is that the computers that go into a car have to handle much more than what a smartphone goes through. They need to handle a wider range of temperatures and environmental conditions. They have to be more reliable and be able to last 10+ years.
    Correct. Like the Audi and BMW, it's an LCD in front of the driver. There's no way to change the central zone, but both sides are reconfigurable with a dozen or so things to display in either, including navigation.

POI uses Google maps through the cellular interface, and the center display loads Google maps the same way - whereas the map in the driver's display is canned (but I'm not sure which version it is.)

Add to that a giant touch screen that's generally split to show two things at a time and has dedicated zones for HVAC and changing modes, and almost no physical buttons.

Like I said, a lot different from anything else and I'd like to see their perception of its relative strengths and weaknesses.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

I think the Volt's screen and interface aren't bad....actually quite good. And much easier to use than my wife's i3 iDrive. I can't stand that thing.

I would say though that the feel and look on the MyLink is outdated...it needs a nice modern refresh look-wise and probably along with such a refresh they might be able to speed things up...although I don't ever get the feeling the Volt's infotainment system is slow. The screen is also hard and glass like so it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    He bags on linux in the article. However Tesla has been using linux since day 1. (Friend of mine did the original linux port to the Roadster.) If Tesla wouldn't lend him a car, seems like he could have easily found some owner to let him try it out.

One very important thing he missed, and maybe because he didn't test a Tesla, is over-the-air updates. Again, Tesla has been doing this since day 1. He could test any year Model S and it will have been updated to the latest software version. (Granted some features might be missing based on lack of newer hardware - e.g., autopilot.) Bolt EV is supposed to be able to do it too. But I have no idea whether GM has tried it or not. And even if it does work, how vigilant they will be towards updating the fleet with more features as it ages?
    2016 Premier - Red/brandy w/DC 1, 2, and Nav (built 10/15)
    Added: Sport pedals, Illum chg port, all weather mats, sill plates, Cruze spare tire...

Advertisement

Ford just released their first OTA...I'd take a Vegas bet the next time GM wants to update the Bolt EV's infotainment system they'll do it with an OTA...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text