GM Volt Forum banner

Tesla supercharging costs explained

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Barry 
#1 ·
https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

After you run out of your free 400 kWh this is what you will be charged for the state you are in.

California is $0.20 a kWh

Texas is $0.16 per minute above 60 kW and $0.08 per minute below 60 kW.

This is great news as it is far less than the other networks charge.

In California is one of the highest rates and it would cost a little more than $20 to charge from 0 to 100 percent a P100D.

For the model 3 with the guestimate of a 55kWh pack it would be a little more than $11 to charge from 0 to 100 percent in Cali.

In Texas it would be around $9.50 to charge from 0 to 100 percent a P100D.

For the same model 3 in Texas from 0 to 100 percent would be around $5.60.

The sad part is that it would cost me less to use the superchargers than to charge at my house at $0.12 a kWh rate.

So this is great news for anyone who want to travel with their Tesla.

See less See more
#2 ·
To be honest after all the yelling and screaming about the "loss of free SuperCharing for life" caused an uproar in the EV community and among detractors, it turns out Tesla's plan is actually very fair. Here in southern IL I pay just at 12 cents per kWh and am happy paying that as it's still much cheaper than buying gas.

As much as I love our Volt, I wish I could find away to squeeze a Tesla MS into my budget/garage. And I have no interest in an M3.

#3 ·
After looking at a few locations when the news came out, it seems to me like Tesla aimed at about 20% over the typical cost of charging at home for their prices - enough to convince people not to charge locally unless they need it, while still not really hurting folks that have no choice, and enough that they won't lose their shirt to folks like Tesloop without making a Tesla based business impractical.

#5 ·
The pricing seems right if the goal is to reduce congestion. High enough so it's cheaper to charge at home but low enough so it doesn't matter for those who really need it. Would have saved a lot of headaches had this been the plan from day one. The only quibble would be the need for 400 kWh of free charging, but that shouldn't have any significant effect.

Not high enough to make this a profit center though the ability to see the DC charging option might help this be a break even endeavor. That's important because in order to see a real build out of charging stations we'll need to see a business model that works.

#6 ·
Yes, this is a very sensible plan. I wish all public charging were priced in a similar way, even the ones that are now free. I hope the laws are changed to allow anyone to resell electricity by the kWh like they are apparently allowed to do in California. Without that, the EV charging market will always be at least somewhat distorted and inefficient, which will be a drag on EV adoption.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.