GM Volt Forum banner

Missing my volt

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  novaks47 
#1 ·
In Oregon for the week for business, the rental car agency gave me a Nissan Stanza. Floor the accelerator, you get a whole lot of noise, not much movement. Boy do I miss the jackrabbit starts of my volt. I won't be winning any stoplight races with this go cart.

Plus, when listening to podcasts and using turn by turn directions in maps using USB the Stanza cuts in about 1/2 a second of Ms. Siri, then silence, then the pot cast resumes playing, thus missing out on most of what Siri is saying. It doesn't do this at all with my volt, and it also works fine when Spotify or Pandora are streaming. It might be an Apple issue, but I'm leaning more towards the stanza to be at fault.

I can't wait to get out of this anemic POS of a car to get back to my volt.

#6 ·
Damn you autocorrect!!! But, funny....

#3 ·
look at it this way, qhen you finally get back into your volt, you will love and appreciate it more!!!

#4 ·
You should had asked for a better rental even if you have to pay a bit for the difference! When I travel to Fort Lauderdale in Florida, I use Enterprise which gets me a new Chevy Impala every time at a preferred rate. In Orlando they do have Chevy Volts for rental but I have no plans to go there yet.

#5 ·
My flight arrived really late, so there were only 4 cars left in the Hertz #1 Gold lot to choose from. Ironically, there was an older Impala in the lot, a Hyundai, and another Stanza. I didn't want a big boat of an impala just for myself so Stanza it was.

#7 ·
I was reunited with mine yesterday afternoon. Two weeks at the dealership replacing the TCM and Solenoid Valve Body. Yes, two weeks to do a 1 to 2 day job. It was so nice driving my Volt to work this morning!

2014 Volt Premium - Safety pkg 1 and 2, Navigation

#8 ·
A Stanza? Did you mean a Sentra, or perhaps a Versa? The Stanza was killed off in the early 90's if memory serves.

I felt the same one time when my Volt was at the dealer getting the HVAC repaired under warranty. They gave me a base Chevy Cruze. Holy heck that car was beyond slow! The Volt is no screamer, but it felt like a sports car after driving the Cruze. I didn't realize cars were still being made that slow! The Cruze felt like a 4000lb car with a 50hp engine in it. Passing on the freeway wasn't even an option in that car. As for hills? The Cruze made me want to get out and walk. Got a Malibu the second time, after I told them not to give me a Cruze, lol. Malibu was much better!

#9 ·
You're right, Sentra. Many of these car names are so weird as they aren't real words: Camry, Accord, Venza, Sentra, Altima, Maxima. Then there's the alphabet/numerical soup: 535i, 325ix, CTS, CT6, ATS, RX, Q50, Q60, Q70, V60, V90, S P100D.

Whatever the case, the Sentra drives like a POS car (cue Adam Sandler - Search for it in YouTube).

#10 ·
Believe it or not, a new XT5 is crap compared to my 3-yr-older ELR. Not refined at all. And that shifter. sheesh. What were they thinking? (Same one as Bolt.)

I had an XT5 as a loaner for a week while they did a chrome trim fix on my ELR. They wound up replacing all the trim around both sides of the car. No charge.

Lol. 'pot cast'. funny. :)

#11 ·
I don't know, I would think the Xt5 is at least a few steps better than my Sentra rental. Though you have to admit, it's going to be really tough to equal or top that sexy ELR. I've said this before, if I could turn back time, I would have bought an ELR in 2014 or 15 when they were selling well under MSRP. But I hate to trade in a perfectly good volt.

#12 ·
Figured it was a Sentra, lol. No better than an old Stanza really. The first two tiers of the Sentra are down on power. Only 130hp(at the crank), and 125ft-lbs of torque, which isn't too bad, but it's still a snail. I suspect the CVT tranny eats up a lot of it's power. 0-60 is around 10.5 seconds. The Volt is around 7.1 seconds to 60. Quite respectable, especially given how much the Volt weighs!

#13 ·
Hmmm, I didn't notice the CVT. Tonight when I take her out for a spin, I'll pay more attention to see if it shifts gears or not. Though I did notice that the shifter didn't have a a proper L. I wonder how this works when you are going down steep grades? It seems like riding the brakes might be required when going down mountains.

One other oddity, when parking last night on a hill, I for the life of me couldn't find any parking or emergency brake at all. I didn't have time to peruse the owner's manual, so I left it in P hoping that the parking prawl doesn't get stuck with the POS car's weight leaning against it.

No disrespect to any Nissan fans out there, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed. It's an OK car for the price, but I'm happy to pay a little more for a little more car. And someday I'll pay a lot more for a lot more car.

#15 ·
And the car definitely shifts gears, but if feels very smooth. So it doesn't seem to be a CVT, but maybe it is and it just mimics the automatic transmission shifting. Suffice it to say, the car is back at the rental agency, it did its job, but I won't be buying one anytime soon... make that ever.

I'm headed to Dallas for a layover then home. Can't wait to get back to the volt which has spoiled me.

#16 ·
All the base models have CVT's for sure, and it's an option on the higher models. They're likely just not very good CVT's.

For a daily driver, it's hard to beat the Volt's transmission. I love not hearing or feeling anything shifting. On a long commute with lots of speed changes, a normal tranny gets annoying, especially in the mornings when I want quiet, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.