Tesla may have fast charging hard cap, Supercharging speeds permanently reduced
Grab our Forum Feed

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 8 LastLast

Thread: Tesla may have fast charging hard cap, Supercharging speeds permanently reduced

Default Tesla may have fast charging hard cap, Supercharging speeds permanently reduced

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2088343/

An owner of a Model S has received official confirmation from Tesla that ALL Tesla's now have a hard count of how many fast charging sessions are allowed (Supercharging OR via CHAdeMO adapter). Once the hard count is reached, max Supercharging speeds are PERMANENTLY reduced FOREVER.

Wow! If I was a Tesla owner I'd be pissed! Never being told about this restriction up front. Supercharging not what it used to be, eh?
    Last edited by DonC; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:02 AM. Reason: Edited title to make clear that this may not be a fact

I can see a point to this though. Although it would suck, and being a vehicle owner you should be able to choose how you treat your own property even if it goes against manufacturer recommendations. That said, I think what Tesla needs to do is offer the option that if you choose to bypass this added safety net to preserve the battery life by limiting the number of fast charge cycles then you should absolutely be allowed to do so but perhaps with the caveat that bypassing the limit voids any remaining performance warranty of the battery. This way the customer is satisfied that they are no longer limited to the slower, yet still reasonably quick charging option, and in exchange accept full responsibility for any damage that may occur with repeated fast charging cycles and limit the number of warranty claims by those who want to accelerate the damage and have Tesla on the hook for repair or replacement.

Still not convinced he got the real story. Supercharging speeds vary widely anyway, based on limitations in both the car and the charger and cord.

If what he was told is true, it certainly would be a problem that they never mentioned it.

OTOH, Even a full on Supercharger session is much less aggressive than fast charging a Leaf or Spark EV at 40-50 kW, because of the big batteries.

Prior guidance has been that supercharging daily is fine, and the Tesloop people that did 200k Supercharging daily never said anything about being slowed down.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

wow.... I foresee see a bunch of rich attorneys and doctors piling onto a class action suit to get batteries replaced that hit this limitation.

On the flip side, I wonder whether I can get a used Tesla cheap after it has hit this limit. I can live with level 2 every day for my commute (heck, I could go 3-4 days between charges if I had do).

I had the same fear in 2013 with level 1 vs. level 2 on the volt, but a phone call to the volt advisor assauged my fears, and I plug in at level 2 every day.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

That certainly won't help resale value (*permanently gimped Supercharging).
    Lol

Almost 32,000 miles on my 14 month old Tesla Model X with quite a few supercharges on roadtrips.

The below from last weekend is pretty good, right? I'm still getting 100+ kW at various SCs depending on my starting SOC.

bro1999, remind me again what your Bolt is getting (44 kW?) :0 -- you are a little overboard on the Tesla bashing aren't you

Last edited by scottf200; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottf200 View Post
    bro1999, remind me again what your Bolt is getting (44 kW?) :0
    Don't you mean, what the current public chargers are providing?

Regardless, if this is true, I could see Tesla with a major lawsuit on their hands. One of the major selling points for the Model S and X was "Supercharging for life." Based on that alone, they need to suck it up and keep their promise for the 100,000+ units that were sold before they put the cap on it.

Something else that this could be based on is the potential dendrite buildup in the batteries. Theoretically, the battery could reach a point where Supercharging at 100+ kW could literally turn the battery into a bomb. However, if that is the case, Tesla needs to have a model in place to provide a replacement battery. I guess they don't have to (i.e., Tesla owners just have a large brick sitting in their driveway), but that would be very bad for business.

It doesn't sound as though Tesla is preventing these units from using Superchargers, but rather throttling down the charge rate to increase the life of the battery after so many fast charge cycles.

As for providing a replacement battery, it sounds as though Tesla is doing what they need to do in order to avoid a potential flood of batteries that have prematurely failed or show significant signs of degradation due to excessive use of high speed charging.

I have to say I tend to stand by my original post earlier in that they should make the charging throttling an option rather than forcing it on every customer that chooses to utilize fast charging options, but include a clause that states those who wish to "opt out" of the limited charging rate is at the owners risk and owner accepts full responsibility. Most people don't fully realize that dumping large amounts of power into or even out of a battery within a short period of time is stressful to the battery and may actually result in many people choosing to accept slightly longer charging times if it means they reduce long term damage to their battery.

Quote Originally Posted by scottf200 View Post
    Almost 32,000 miles on my 14 month old Tesla Model X with quite a few supercharges on roadtrips.

The below from last weekend is pretty good, right? I'm still getting 100+ kW at various SCs depending on my starting SOC.

bro1999, remind me again what your Bolt is getting (44 kW?) :0 -- you are a little overboard on the Tesla bashing aren't you
    I also think it's funny BRo will latch on to each and every rumor of something bad with Tesla, and run with it like it's the truth. Point out any flaws or question GM's designs, he's quick to defend his Bolt EV purchase as if multiple generations of his family's honor depended on it.

Most of my ~50k miles come from very long, L3 powered road trips. Colorado, Iowa, Florida, Nashville, with tons of Houston, Austin, and San Antonio trips over the past 3+ years. I would be surprised if it's under 200 Supercharges, plus 20 or so CHAdeMO sessions. I'm still getting Supercharging rates up to slightly over 119kW, if the planets are aligned. I think the dude is taking misinterpreting things, quite a bit and running with it. Hilarious that people keep bringing up Tesloop's 200k+ mile cars that always charge to 100% on a Supercharger, 2-3 times a day, with no L3 rate degradation. How in the world is this the first dude to have this happen? Does he think he's the only Tesla owner to do DCFC charging, to the extreme?
    2013 Tesla Model S 85
    2014 Chevy Volt to be replaced by a 2017 Tesla Model 3
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

If true, Tesla is likely right to reduce charge rates. Batteries age and increase internal resistance which will lead to more heat generated internally. It is something people will have to get used to with EVs. Agreed this sounds blown out of proportion. I try to remain neutral with Tesla, too many people trying to manipulate the stock price.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 8 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text