GM Volt Forum banner

Lowest priced model S I've ever seen $32k

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Bacardi 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Lol,

Add another 15k for parts, 6 months waiting and hope the frame is not bent.

As much as I'd like a Tesla, they just don't seem equipped to handle service and accident issues in a competitive manner.
I think I'll sit on the sidelines for now and enjoy my undersized Volt for now :)

#4 ·
I have a friend with a Tesla that got smacked by a BMW here in Pittsburgh. Took a month to repair it at $19,000 for the repair of the aluminum body panels. (Before and after pix below) One of the reasons insurance can be pricey on a Tesla are the body repair costs...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Luxury vehicle

#7 ·
So when it says model S performance, it's a lie.

#11 ·
Unfortunately, today $5-6k out the door gets you a Smart EV, a Nissan Leaf, a Malibu ECO, or a Miev. No thanks.i'm saving my pennies... guessing I'll need over 9 million of them to get the model S that I want new.

#13 · (Edited)
It's just dealership B.S., if it could be fixed for $5K it would not have been totaled or a repair shop would have purchased it, fixed it and sell it as a repaired salvage and make $5K-$10K off it...Also if you get this and you later find out it's more than $5K to fix, you can't get you money back...Some states do not allow salvage dealerships, although you can register salvage vehicles if purchased out of state...

#15 ·
Agreed, I won't be buying it. Just got a little excited when I first found it on cars.com for that price, then found the spot that explains why.

#16 ·
Won't touch any of their cars currently. I am still not sold on the idea that 200-250 mile range EVs are a great option. Yeah sub 100 was abysmal but sorry 200-250 ain't much to crow about especially in states where it gets cold and mileage plummets. throw in 30+ minute charges for not even full range.

the tech just ain't there yet.

#17 · (Edited)
Which makes me wonder, why aren't there any cars with 150-200 miles of range? It gives people a little more buffer for daily commute driving, but not the high expense of the 200+ mile vehicles. Why didn't they offer the bolt with small, medium, and large battery sizes and dealer upgradable capacity (add more packs if your needs change). I don't like Tesla's model where most of the time you're stuck with the size you purchased, with the exception of the software only "upgrades" on their lowest capcacity vehicles.

I'm not sold on buying a Tesla only because I don't have the cash lying around to buy one yet, and the model 3 is so far out there, and it's probably too small for my needs anyway. I hate the falcon wing doors, they won't operate well at all with lots of snow on the roof or a freezing rain situation. Why Tesla didn't bolt on some new body panels on the model S to create a coupe, pickup, wagon, minivan, or SUV is beyond me. Having to redesign for every sized car seems like a waste.

#18 ·
For me the range vs charge time issue boils down to, 300 miles of range in 1 hour of charging at minimum. I figured this out on my recent road trip, 300 miles takes me about 4 hours... in a gasoline powered car that means drive for 4 hours and take a 15 min break to fuel up, bathroom break and stretch the legs. I could extend that 15 min (could be 30 min traveling with my fiancee) to an hour without too much hardship in a travel day of 900 miles. Gas car = 12 hours driving and between 30 min and an hour at stops depending on family needs... Tesla with 125 kWh battery (320 miles on 80% charge, and 80% charge in 1 hour) would mean 12 hours driving and 2 hours at superchargers, and a destination charge over night at my final stop of the day... so an extra 1 to 1.5 hours per day.

Tesla isn't there yet, but I think they soon will be on their high cost cars... I don't ever expect a "low cost" Tesla to get the range I would need to make it my only vehicle.

Keith

#19 ·
Anything over 400mi and I take a jet. Of course, if the car could drive itself and charge itself the game changes significantly.

#20 ·
Honestly, I wouldn't touch an out of warranty used Model S with a 10 foot pole. Unless it was at beater prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.