GM Volt Forum banner

2016 Intermittent cruise control problems

25K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  gocougs1990 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has experienced the cruise control being nonfunctional on occasion.

Most of the time it works - but sometimes we try to turn it on and it won't work. It seems often that this happens when it is either wet outside, or during rain. A few times when we went over bumps like rail road tracks, it shut off.

I am wondering if this is a software problem or related to the traction control…is the cruise control sometimes supposed to shut off automatically due to road or weather conditions?

#3 ·
There is also a thread that talks about wiping down the window in front of the camera and the front radar cover.

I noticed an odd one the other day. Highway, raining (sometimes hard), ACC was fine. I wanted to change the gap down from 3 to 2, and missed, so went around again (probably should have turned ACC off first). Then ACC dropped out for about 10 minutes as unavailable. Could have been a coincidence, or maybe a software glitch.

It is too bad that there is no way to drop from ACC to CC if ACC is unavailable. GM may be worried that ACC users will forget and drive into the car in front.

#10 ·
It is too bad that there is no way to drop from ACC to CC if ACC is unavailable. GM may be worried that ACC users will forget and drive into the car in front.
There should only be one mode. Chevy (and some other manufacturers) haven't figured out yet that once you equip a car with ACC, there is absolutely no reason to use regular CC again. Some European makes figured this out long ago.

#4 ·
I've had my LT for a week and have experienced this. CC failed to set a couple of times the first half of the week but has been fine since. I use CC every day. Rainy day today and it is working fine.

I've read elsewhere that a faulty brake switch could prevent CC from setting. Maybe my switch was a bit sticky and now has worked itself out.

#6 ·
2017 Volt LT here (regular cruise control)

Mine started to do this yesterday after almost 1 week of ownership. Would work intermittently, after applying the brake it would not resume / set. I shut it off and re-activated with same results.

After reading some comments on here, when it happened again this morning after braking, I put my foot behind the brake pedal and slightly pulled toward me. After a couple of attempts of doing this, the cruise control worked again, so I'm wondering if it is a faulty switch.

I'll have to call the dealership today and pray that I don't have to lose the car for days on end.

#8 ·
Sounds like you have a bad brake spring/switch as a number of other users have had...I can't remember how long it took the others to get fixed. They will have to order a new switch. Your dealer should definitely be able to offer a loaner/rental vehicle under warranty if they have to keep your car.

#9 ·
They eventually had to get me a new car over this exact issue.

No matter what they did, my car would eventually just go back acting as though the brake was ever so lightly pressed, preventing cruise control from engaging. I have a feeling that it's actually not the brake pedal itself that is causing the issue (after dealing with it for about 2 months before I got my replacement car).

Try this: Anytime it isn't working, drive down the road at a decent speed, hit the brakes pretty hard (when no one is behind you!), go back up to speed, then see if your cruise control works before you ever press the brake again. Let me know how the experiment works out. After you do this though, even a simple tap of the brakes may mess it up again, but I would really like to see if others are having the same issue my car had.

#13 ·
By the way, the part they are replacing as of last week was the retainer clip on the brake. They replaced mine last week, and I still am having the no cruise control that is fixed by lifting the brake pedal up with the top of my foot. I am bringing it back on Monday for the third time to this dealership and the fifth time in total!

#14 ·
They had done the same thing to my volt as well, along with other things. Seriously try out the hard brake thing I suggested a page ago, get up to speed, then see if your CC works before you hit the brake pedal again. Mine worked that way. If yours does the same thing, then maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

#18 ·
Dealer took it for a short drive and said "it's working fine, you must be using it incorrectly." I wanted to say I'm an engineer and I've used cruise controls almost everyday since before he was born. I know how they should work. What is it you don't understand about the word "intermittent?" I didn't want to make a scene, so I just said "I'll be back" and left. I can't wait for the customer visit survey request to arrive...

#20 ·
I'm picking mine up after work. They had it fixed (it better be) in about 1 hour. When I brought it in last night, I made sure that the cruise was not working so they would witness it right away.

I asked what the issue was and the tech stated that there was reprogramming that had to be done as well as a slight adjustment to the switch (or pedal - have to clarify).

Will keep this post, posted

Kev

#24 ·
I have the same problem and after reading stories in this forum and others I am not convinced most dealers know how to fix this problem. Has any one had a successful fix performed by a dealer in the Southern California, specifically the San Fernando Valley or Santa Clarita area? I would like to know where to take my car to get it fixed properly

Thanks,

In the mean time I have implemented my own fix that is getting me by.

#25 ·
Just wanted to throw my name (car) into the mix and report we are having the same problem. It's been to the dealer once so far and was "repaired", but then the problem started again a couple days later. I've asked several times what exactly was done, but no one has been able to tell me. I'm dropping it off again on Monday (5/8/17) and will find out what was done the first time then report back here what they do this time and if it works.

#28 ·
I have used the parking brake on occasion.

Today they installed version 2.5 of the retainer clip. I had no problems on my drive home. Here's the hoping for no further problems. They said this was a new version of the clip they just released this past Friday.

#35 ·
Well shucks, I guess I get to add my name to the list for this issue. The ACC worked fine for the first 3 months of ownership and worked fine driving down to Cincinnati on Saturday. I parked in a parking garage overnight (and got to charge it for free, bonus!) however on the way home it wouldn't work. We stopped at a house on the way home and the driveway was sooner than I expected and I had to brake harder than normal. After stopping for a few minutes with the car off, we returned on our trip home and the ACC was working again. Now 2 days later and it is once again unavailable. Soon I will check for the obvious things such as dirty grill/windshield but the car is pretty sparkling clean so I doubt I will find anything. Hopefully this issue gets figured out soon because ACC is a great feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.