Intermittent cruise control problems
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent cruise control problems

Default Intermittent cruise control problems

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the cruise control being nonfunctional on occasion.

Most of the time it works - but sometimes we try to turn it on and it won't work. It seems often that this happens when it is either wet outside, or during rain. A few times when we went over bumps like rail road tracks, it shut off.

I am wondering if this is a software problem or related to the traction control…is the cruise control sometimes supposed to shut off automatically due to road or weather conditions?

Do you have the adaptive/radar cruise control? There's a thread in this forum about problems relating to the brake pedal.
    Blue 2017 Premier with ACC.

There is also a thread that talks about wiping down the window in front of the camera and the front radar cover.

I noticed an odd one the other day. Highway, raining (sometimes hard), ACC was fine. I wanted to change the gap down from 3 to 2, and missed, so went around again (probably should have turned ACC off first). Then ACC dropped out for about 10 minutes as unavailable. Could have been a coincidence, or maybe a software glitch.

It is too bad that there is no way to drop from ACC to CC if ACC is unavailable. GM may be worried that ACC users will forget and drive into the car in front.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

I've had my LT for a week and have experienced this. CC failed to set a couple of times the first half of the week but has been fine since. I use CC every day. Rainy day today and it is working fine.

I've read elsewhere that a faulty brake switch could prevent CC from setting. Maybe my switch was a bit sticky and now has worked itself out.
    2017 Mosaic Black Volt

Quote Originally Posted by nadsab View Post
    A few times when we went over bumps like rail road tracks, it shut off.
    That is normal (according to the manual) if your traction control kicked in on the bumps.
    2017 Mosaic Black Volt

2017 Volt LT here (regular cruise control)

Mine started to do this yesterday after almost 1 week of ownership. Would work intermittently, after applying the brake it would not resume / set. I shut it off and re-activated with same results.

After reading some comments on here, when it happened again this morning after braking, I put my foot behind the brake pedal and slightly pulled toward me. After a couple of attempts of doing this, the cruise control worked again, so I'm wondering if it is a faulty switch.

I'll have to call the dealership today and pray that I don't have to lose the car for days on end.

Quote Originally Posted by okko View Post
    I'll have to call the dealership today and pray that I don't have to lose the car for days on end.
    Cruise controls have been around a while, I'm sure the dealer will have it diagnosed and fixed in a jiffy . Mine seems to have worked out the cobwebs and has been working like a champ.
    2017 Mosaic Black Volt

Sounds like you have a bad brake spring/switch as a number of other users have had...I can't remember how long it took the others to get fixed. They will have to order a new switch. Your dealer should definitely be able to offer a loaner/rental vehicle under warranty if they have to keep your car.
    2016 Kinetic Blue LT

Unscheduled service visits: 4 Hidden Content
    Longest service visit: 2.5 weeks

They eventually had to get me a new car over this exact issue.

No matter what they did, my car would eventually just go back acting as though the brake was ever so lightly pressed, preventing cruise control from engaging. I have a feeling that it's actually not the brake pedal itself that is causing the issue (after dealing with it for about 2 months before I got my replacement car).

Try this: Anytime it isn't working, drive down the road at a decent speed, hit the brakes pretty hard (when no one is behind you!), go back up to speed, then see if your cruise control works before you ever press the brake again. Let me know how the experiment works out. After you do this though, even a simple tap of the brakes may mess it up again, but I would really like to see if others are having the same issue my car had.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post

It is too bad that there is no way to drop from ACC to CC if ACC is unavailable. GM may be worried that ACC users will forget and drive into the car in front.
    There should only be one mode. Chevy (and some other manufacturers) haven't figured out yet that once you equip a car with ACC, there is absolutely no reason to use regular CC again. Some European makes figured this out long ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text