Touch-up Paint
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Touch-up Paint

Default Touch-up Paint

Got a new 2017 Volt two weeks ago and already dinged the door ... I would like to get some touch up paint to make sure the spot where the paint chipped doesn't end up rusting. Should I get the official GM touch-up paint? If so, is it a spay can, a bottle with brush, or maybe a pen? How would I find the GM part number? The color of my Volt is Silver Ice Metallic.

Or should I go with a third party paint? If so, can anyone recommend a good source that ships to Canada? Anyone know if this paint is available as a touch-up pen? A pen seems like the easiest to use on a small chip, although I might be wrong. Never had to do anything like this before on a car.

Thanks,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
    Got a new 2017 Volt two weeks ago and already dinged the door ... I would like to get some touch up paint to make sure the spot where the paint chipped doesn't end up rusting. Should I get the official GM touch-up paint? If so, is it a spay can, a bottle with brush, or maybe a pen? How would I find the GM part number? The color of my Volt is Silver Ice Metallic.
    I got a small bottle of Silver Ice and Kinetic Blue from my dealer, wanted the match to be exact... each bottle was about $25 (I was expecting $10 like next door at the Ford dealer) so you may want to go third party.

But if you want to get the authentic stuff, you can probably find the proper code at the below link - good luck.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...l=Volt&rows=50
    2017 Bolt Premier Kinetic Blue/Dk Gray #33408 (Delivered Jan 2017) Hidden Content

2016 Volt Premier Silver/Black #16693 (Delivered Oct 2015) Hidden Content

I used the paintref site above recommended by jeff_h along with the Volt ordering guide:

http://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/dom...page=9&butID=3

To purchase the following for $22 last year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is now $15 and qualifies for free Amazon shipping. It matches okay but lacks the metallic sparkle of the OEM paint job. Better than getting rust, though.
    2017 Kinetic Blue Volt, VIN #11955, built June 2016.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post

Or should I go with a third party paint? If so, can anyone recommend a good source that ships to Canada? Anyone know if this paint is available as a touch-up pen? A pen seems like the easiest to use on a small chip, although I might be wrong. Never had to do anything like this before on a car.

Thanks,
    Harry
    You can find your paint code on the Service Parts Indentification sticker. I believe it is inside the glove box.
    It will look something like this sample:

On mine, the last line of the codes is BC/CC U 405Y.
    I think it translates to Base Coat/Clear Coat Upper Siren Red. 405Y is the paint code for my Siren Red.
    I found the GM touchup paint on Amazon (actually it is ACDelco) in a Pen/Brush combo by just searching for 405Y.
    2017 Premier Siren Red - H 0157 - Hidden Content Born 2/01/16 - Delivered 2/27/2016 Hidden Content
    2013 Crystal Red - D 2516 - Delivered 10/16/2012 .... Returned to Ally 11/07/2015
    U235 Powered

Just search on ebay for silver ice metallic touchup paint.
    Jerry, Fresno, California
    2017 Bolt ordered, Orange Sunburst, w/all options,
    #536 2011 Crystal Red Volt,
    2012 Diamond White Volt, saved from the crusher, gift to my niece.
    1975 Cosworth Vega, stored
    1988 Formula Fiero, also saved from the crusher, in the midst of restoration.

I use www.automotivetouchup.com with a selection of brush, pen, spray and larger sizes for primer, base paint, and clear coat. I just ordered some for a Honda, Cadillac, and my Volt. A joint purchase with relatives saved on shipping.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

[QUOTE=Harry Muscle;4001170]Got a new 2017 Volt two weeks ago and already dinged the door ... I would like to get some touch up paint to make sure the spot where the paint chipped doesn't end up rusting. Should I get the official GM touch

Harry,
    Try www.paintscratch.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text