GM Volt Forum banner

Touch-up Paint

10K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  electrcglide 
#1 ·
Got a new 2017 Volt two weeks ago and already dinged the door :( ... I would like to get some touch up paint to make sure the spot where the paint chipped doesn't end up rusting. Should I get the official GM touch-up paint? If so, is it a spay can, a bottle with brush, or maybe a pen? How would I find the GM part number? The color of my Volt is Silver Ice Metallic.

Or should I go with a third party paint? If so, can anyone recommend a good source that ships to Canada? Anyone know if this paint is available as a touch-up pen? A pen seems like the easiest to use on a small chip, although I might be wrong. Never had to do anything like this before on a car.

Thanks,
Harry

#2 ·
Got a new 2017 Volt two weeks ago and already dinged the door :( ... I would like to get some touch up paint to make sure the spot where the paint chipped doesn't end up rusting. Should I get the official GM touch-up paint? If so, is it a spay can, a bottle with brush, or maybe a pen? How would I find the GM part number? The color of my Volt is Silver Ice Metallic.
I got a small bottle of Silver Ice and Kinetic Blue from my dealer, wanted the match to be exact... each bottle was about $25 (I was expecting $10 like next door at the Ford dealer) so you may want to go third party.

But if you want to get the authentic stuff, you can probably find the proper code at the below link - good luck.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=Chevrolet&year=2017&con=ky&model=Volt&rows=50

#3 ·
#4 ·
You can find your paint code on the Service Parts Indentification sticker. I believe it is inside the glove box.
It will look something like this sample:

On mine, the last line of the codes is BC/CC U 405Y.
I think it translates to Base Coat/Clear Coat Upper Siren Red. 405Y is the paint code for my Siren Red.
I found the GM touchup paint on Amazon (actually it is ACDelco) in a Pen/Brush combo by just searching for 405Y.

#5 ·
Just search on ebay for silver ice metallic touchup paint.

#6 ·
I use www.automotivetouchup.com with a selection of brush, pen, spray and larger sizes for primer, base paint, and clear coat. I just ordered some for a Honda, Cadillac, and my Volt. A joint purchase with relatives saved on shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.