Any tips on wiring for a 240V charging station?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any tips on wiring for a 240V charging station?

Hybrid View

Default Any tips on wiring for a 240V charging station?

I am currently dragging an extension cord across the driveway to charge my 2017 Volt at 120V. I have been working with an electrician to do something more permanent, bearing in mind that I will want to do 240V in the near future.

Are there electrical code gotchas my electrician and I need to know? I was thinking of a 240V/30A dryer-type receptacle in some kind of weatherproof enclosure at the corner of my porch. I was going to make a wooden box big enough to house the receptacle and the charger.

I tried to read the electrical code myself (NEC Article 625), but it's pretty tough reading. At least I know the driveway has adequate ventilation! (625 spends a lot time talking about ventilation)

Thank you. I'm a new member of the forum, and my search queries didn't seem to find an old post that addresses this.

Charles H.
    Raleigh, NC

I'm not that familiar with the details of electrical code, but I remember reading that there aren't really approved outdoor 240V outlets, so the enclosure will be important. On the other hand, every modern RV park has dozens of NEMA 14-50 outlets outside in enclosures, so clearly there are well established solutions.

If you're going to the expense of running an outside 240V, I would recommend a 14-50 as well. Because of RVs (and maybe Tesla a little,) it's turning into the 240V universal standard for the U.S. (to the extent that there is one.) That's what most pluggable 240V EVSEs have, and every Tesla ships with a UMC adapter for it. It's the most future proof option you can buy today.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

If it's out in the weather, I would hard wire it. Save money on the plug, socket box etc. Find a level 2 EVSE with a nice long cord. You may only need a double pole 30amp breaker, a chunk of 10 gage wire, and the Level 2 EVSE of your choice.

4. Advertisement

Check with your local utility prior to paying for installation. Most utilities will supplement cost of 240v install if you get it approved prior to installation, and use a licensed electrician.

Go with appropriate wire (6 gauge) for 50 Amps. You can connect a 32 /40 Amp charger to a 50 Amp breaker.
    There is a 20% loss factor. Therefore a 50 Amp outlet is needed for a 40 Amp charger. If using a plug-in charger use a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

If you can afford it, get a pedestal-style EVSE and hard-wire it. Weatherproof and has cable management.

There are some threads on here about how various people got around having their EVSE out in the weather. I saw one where they put a hole in the house wall with the EVSE inside and the charge cable went through a 4" plastic pipe. Several have used a plastic tupperware-style tub with grommet holes.

The guy on EVTV made his look like a gas pump.
    Last edited by Loboc; 1 Week Ago at 04:45 PM.
    Driving a show car. Every day!

Don't Pokemon and drive!

------------------------
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.3 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.5.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    I'm not that familiar with the details of electrical code, but I remember reading that there aren't really approved outdoor 240V outlets, so the enclosure will be important. On the other hand, every modern RV park has dozens of NEMA 14-50 outlets outside in enclosures, so clearly there are well established solutions.

If you're going to the expense of running an outside 240V, I would recommend a 14-50 as well. Because of RVs (and maybe Tesla a little,) it's turning into the 240V universal standard for the U.S. (to the extent that there is one.) That's what most pluggable 240V EVSEs have, and every Tesla ships with a UMC adapter for it. It's the most future proof option you can buy today.
    Best way to go! I charge ours all the time in RV parks free using 110 or 220, both of which are available from the 14-50 RV type outlet. Four prongs L1/L2/Nuetral/Ground....
    2013 - Crystal Red - DU107158
    My "Obsession"
    Bought it on 4/11/2016
    Tired of paying Ally, went out and bought a used Premium with 21910 miles on it.
    Ally wanted $24,995 to buy out my old 2013. I bought one with Premium Black Leather
    and only a few thousand miles more then the old one $16,750 Certified extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcp View Post
    I have been working with an electrician to do something more permanent, bearing in mind that I will want to do 240V in the near future.

Are there electrical code gotchas my electrician and I need to know?
    What kind of "electrician" are you working with that doesn't know the code? You'll get a lot of amateur advice on this site.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text