Carmax buy price for 2017?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Carmax buy price for 2017?

Default Carmax buy price for 2017?

Anybody have any experience selling Carmax a 2017 LT? I'm wanting to get a price from them as a potential easy way to get out of my lease since I am moving and the cost to ship the car is pretty high. I know it's best to just go there but where I live there isn't a Carmax nearby so was wondering if anybody had an idea of what they pay before I drive an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltFish View Post
    Anybody have any experience selling Carmax a 2017 LT? I'm wanting to get a price from them as a potential easy way to get out of my lease since I am moving and the cost to ship the car is pretty high. I know it's best to just go there but where I live there isn't a Carmax nearby so was wondering if anybody had an idea of what they pay before I drive an hour.
    I got a quote a couple of months ago on my $35k MSRP Siren Red '17 Volt LT with 5k miles....they offered $20k.

Luckily I found a person to take over my lease, so I offloaded my Volt that way.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

Ha... that's pretty much what I expected from them based on my past experiences. Where did you find the person to take over the lease? I'm considering that route too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    I got a quote a couple of months ago on my $35k MSRP Siren Red '17 Volt LT with 5k miles....they offered $20k.

Luckily I found a person to take over my lease, so I offloaded my Volt that way.
    Oddly enough, that is about right if you take a look at it from their point of view. 35k MSRP discounted 5k, minus 7.5K tax credit=22.5K And CarMax has to make some coin for their risk. Actually, I would consider that to be an extremely fair offer.

Just called GM Financial and they informed me that to do a lease assumption both parties must live in the same state... that seems to be rather limiting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk72 View Post
    Oddly enough, that is about right if you take a look at it from their point of view. 35k MSRP discounted 5k, minus 7.5K tax credit=22.5K And CarMax has to make some coin for their risk. Actually, I would consider that to be an extremely fair offer.
    Yeah, I think you're right. If I had purchased that Volt outright, I would have received $15,048 in total discounts/rebates ($3.7k dealer discount, $500 farm bureau, $1k Chevy.com private offer, 7.5k fed credit, 2.3k MD rebate). We're already down to $20k before any deductions for miles driven!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    Yeah, I think you're right. If I had purchased that Volt outright, I would have received $15,048 in total discounts/rebates ($3.7k dealer discount, $500 farm bureau, $1k Chevy.com private offer, 7.5k fed credit, 2.3k MD rebate). We're already down to $20k before any deductions for miles driven!
    It would still be less loss if you have it shipped unless you are really looking to get rid of your Volt.

Wow.. we were looking to take over a lease and been checking swapalease.com. Since we were looking at other brands, didn't notice the GM Financial restrictions. They don't let you transfer out during first 6 months and last 12 months of lease!!!! Plus, both parties must reside in same state! Lastly, $595 to GM Financial to make it happen. They are NOT lease transfer friendly.

That said, might be worth posting on website as there are not any 2017 Volts listed for KY. If you live in good size city, have a low monthly payment, and plenty of miles left, might be worth posting there. That said, unless you are moving out of the US, I would think you could get it shipped most places for under $1k. Likely the lease costly option if your only issue is the moving cost.
    03/18/2011 - Picked up and drove 4 1/2 hours home...
    #1258 has now been adopted and has been placed in a safe/happy home!
    03/15/2014 - Traded/leased 2011 for 2014 Volt, 3/15/17 - Returned 2014 Volt
    04/23/2014 - Leased 2014 Smart EV/ED 2yr
    03/08/2016 - Bought Used 2012 Ford Focus EV Shipped from CA, only car now, so renting when needed to go further than BEV will get us and waiting on available Bolt, Ioniq, Model 3, etc..

I'm curious to what loopholes there are in the same state restriction...You purchased from KY and are a KY resident, but what if you move? Seems like there'd be some legal headaches for lenders to only approve transfers at the state you purchased it in...Can you simply change your address online and then sell? Clearly accepting a CarMax offer is thousands if not a ten thousand loss...Could you just open a Cali P.O. Box find someone to take over the lease and pay $595 fee and $700ish bucks to ship? Its really not a lot of time or effort and you could save up to ten thousand...Really easy to get started, simply call the lender tell them you're moving to Cali next week and wanted to transfer to a Cali resident, see what they say...

For the record, my $36,2XX MSRP Volt received an offer of $25K but that was last summer, I believe that was on of the first MY17 of any vehicle CarMax had to deal with so I think the offer was inflated...I got lucky and had three other "we beat carmax" places compete, I'll recheck, I wrote a check for the payoff for just under $100 to sell it, however, I received a $1500 incentive from Cali which I'm supposed to pay back the prorated portion...Widely reported they rarely come after you but some reports of if you get another PHEV/EV they'll deduct your previously owed amount from the new incentive so I'm not out of the woods yet...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
    I'm curious to what loopholes there are in the same state restriction...You purchased from KY and are a KY resident, but what if you move? Seems like there'd be some legal headaches for lenders to only approve transfers at the state you purchased it in...Can you simply change your address online and then sell? Clearly accepting a CarMax offer is thousands if not a ten thousand loss...Could you just open a Cali P.O. Box find someone to take over the lease and pay $595 fee and $700ish bucks to ship? Its really not a lot of time or effort and you could save up to ten thousand...Really easy to get started, simply call the lender tell them you're moving to Cali next week and wanted to transfer to a Cali resident, see what they say...

For the record, my $36,2XX MSRP Volt received an offer of $25K but that was last summer, I believe that was on of the first MY17 of any vehicle CarMax had to deal with so I think the offer was inflated...I got lucky and had three other "we beat carmax" places compete, I'll recheck, I wrote a check for the payoff for just under $100 to sell it, however, I received a $1500 incentive from Cali which I'm supposed to pay back the prorated portion...Widely reported they rarely come after you but some reports of if you get another PHEV/EV they'll deduct your previously owed amount from the new incentive so I'm not out of the woods yet...
    The person taking over the lease must register the car in the same state as the original lessee. And GMF confirms all this before proceeding with the transfer (driver's license copies and everything), so unless you have a license in the same state, it'd be mighty hard to get approved without being an actual resident.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text