GM Volt Forum banner

2016-17 Volt / 50-50

14K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  alfon 
#1 ·
I remember a few years back that there was some anticipation with the Gen 2 Volt to be a 50-50 Volt model, meaning 50 mile electric range, and 50 mpg when running on the gasoline engine.

It seems that our 2016 Volt is getting close to 50 mpg on the gas engine. Since the software update on the engine we have noticed a fairly impressive increase in mpg on the gas engine, even though its late winter/early spring conditions. Our last trip, my wife and I, two days ago to to the Portland Oregon area, was nearly 170 miles round trip. 45.3 miles on electric and the rest on gas with 48 mpg on the gas engine. Summer I'm sure electric would be over 50 miles and gas mpg over 50 mpg as well. This is a trip via highway 26 from sea level to 1642 feet with three mountain passes each way to return home.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed an increase in mpg on their 2016-17 Volt after the engine software update?

#12 · (Edited)
There was a software update a few months for 2016-17 Volts as the gas engine when running would be not smooth. Many on this forum noticed this as well. It seems to have been a positive update as, at least in our 2016 Volt, seems like on gas we have more power, run smoother, and a noticeable improvement on mpg's, looks like 3 mpg more, on the gas engine.

#4 ·
Any hybrid can possibly get 50 MPG if you drive it carefully. The purpose of the EPA tests and rating is for an average MPG rating. I read at a Ford Fusion forum that several Fusion Hybrids did get and pass 50 MPG. That is amazing for a 3,800 lb (empty) mid-sized five-seat sedan, since the Volt and all the Prius are compacts. If the Volt had a lesser battery, it could pass 60 MPG.

Read more about the 50 MPG Fusion Hybrids here:
http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/3446-traded-in-my-2008-prius-for-a-2015-fusion-energi/
http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/to...thod-of-driving-my-experience-getting-50-mpg/

And if the Fusion Energi can get 30 EV miles, a slightly better battery can reach the Gen 1 Chevy Volt's original EPA EV range and maybe pass it. So if GM doesn't apply the EREV tech to a midsized sedan soon, the Fusion Energi will catch up.

#6 ·
The 18.4 kWh battery is going to keep the fuel economy down on the Volt.

I would say most long time Volt owners can actually hit 50+ AER and 50+ mpg on demand today. We know how.

#7 ·
The true performance difference of a Prius vs a G2 Volt is more than minor.
It takes less than 75% of the passing distance a Prius requires on paper, but even less in the real world due the EV instant performance of the Volt. ICE performance < EV performance when the power is the same.

On paper a Prius has almost identical power to weight, hence better acceleration than a Volt.

2017 Prius - 3010lb with 121hp = 24.9 lb/hp yields 10.5 seconds to 60mph.
2017 Volt - 3543lb with 149hp = 23.8 lb/hp yields 7.5 seconds to 60mph.

#14 ·
I agree...There would be no better way to increase sales than to hit the "magic" 50 MPG EPA number...Could increase EV range to 60, lower the 0-60, give it DCFC/power seats/sunroof/homelink but any of that would result in only a slight sales increase...Outside of giving it a price haircut, nothing would increase sales more than to increase the MPG...The Volt shouldn't be in a competition with just vehicles like the Prius/Prime, GM should make it compelling enough to appear on the car buying list for the guy who plans on buying an ICE Civic or ICE Corolla...

#17 ·
I almost hit 50/50 on a gen1. Piece of cake on a gen2...

My guess-o-meter was up to 79km (50mi=80km) each morning last summer and I regularly get 5.0L/100km (47MPG). Best run of 4.9 (48MPG)

#19 ·
I was hoping to add some useful information to this thread for a little bit but since I didn't have results of my own to support it I stayed out.

Well on my 107.5 mile one way trip home tonight I came up with some solid results that made me really happy. I bought my volt a couple weeks ago because of my 200+ round trip to work daily and it's true colors shined today. A 50/50 volt in my opinion is easily achievable. The results in the picture were a result of 99.9% highway at 65mph.

#23 · (Edited)
Now approaching 23,000 miles our 2016 Volt seem to be improving on gas mpg's and range as well. Yesterday round trip to Tillamook Oregon to go fishing via Highway 101. Sea level at destination about 450 ft elevation or so, and back again to sea level.

(Data per car computer) Total miles, 126.4 / electric miles- 65.1 / KWH used- 13.6 (still had 5 electric miles indicated left when I arrived home) / gasoline miles 61.3 / gal's used 1.09 /mpg - 56.9.

We also have a 2010 Prius doubt the Prius would have done much better.

Weather was mild with temps mid 60's to a high of 70.

After having owned a 2014 Volt the 2016 Volt is the only car I know with just one model year change had a significant improvement in efficiency, both in electric range, and mpg's on gasoline only and with good ole 87 octane at that. No other car manufacture with one year change on one of their models has accomplished this, except for GM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.