Newbie - choosing between volt, bmw i3, and tesla M3
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 4 11 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - choosing between volt, bmw i3, and tesla M3

Quote Originally Posted by slipnslider View Post
    ...Teslas are the only EVs to come out so far that impress the hot girls.
    If she has gotten to the "fiance" stage and you still need to impress her with your car, "Danger, Will Robinson!".

Quote Originally Posted by jupitermoon View Post
    Until she tries to get in and out of one....then they'll be ROFLAO. You need to be a freaking gymnast to do it gracefully.
    Now you're talking!
    2013 Volt - Silver Topaz Metallic
    2015 Honda Pilot (wife's mid-life crisis is finished)

I don't understand why anyone who really weighed all the options would even consider the i3. The only people I see it appealing to are those who get all starry eyed about BMW's.
    ------------------------------
    2012 Volt premium - cyber grey metallic

Aint that the truth. I see you've spent some time in L.A. hahaha

Teslas are the only EVs to come out so far that impress the hot girls.
    I'd make sure I drove something with anti-gold digger properties then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Aint that the truth. I see you've spent some time in L.A. hahaha

Teslas are the only EVs to come out so far that impress the hot girls.
    Correct...If you decide on any non-Tesla EV, strongly consider getting a weekend toy such as an used convertible or even a motorcycle...YOLO
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

We have both an i3 and Volt now. Both 2017's and both with range extenders.

... The i3 is definitely far sportier in feel to me... It feels nimbler, quicker in reaction, and lighter on its feet. Mostly because it is. It's some 600 lbs lighter than the Volt at least...

Obviously you can go a lot further overall with the Volt. But for 2017, the i3 can do 114 miles EPA rated electric range. We are getting around 130 per charge. However, I'm getting about 75 miles per charge with my Volt. But it charges agonizingly slowly....pitiful actually in this day and age.
    Wow, you have both the 2017 i3 REx and the 2017 Volt! That's some heavy duty EV technology! The i3 should charge 2x faster than the Volt 32Amps vs 16Amps max, and the REx has DCFC. Have you used public charging at all for either of your EVs?
    Hidden Content 2017 Volt Premier Pepperdust metallic Jet Black/Brandy; Clipper Creek LCS-20

The M3 might be the best car in several ways, but I would personally rule it out based on the unknown waiting period. You don't really know when production will start, how quickly it will ramp up, or how many buyers are really in front of you. You also don't know what the price will be or if they will be optioned up to an unreasonable level. I also think it is doubtful that the tax credit will not have run out by then (if it is not cancelled all together before).

I think you should decide from the other choices and then consider the M3 for your next car. Unless you are perfectly happy with your current car and it is still relatively new.

Quote Originally Posted by Qinsp View Post
    The Gen1's are great, but be aware that there are some pretty significant differences to the Gen2 upgrade.

The car is both lighter and more powerful, and will legally seat 5, up from 4.
    Suggested fuel is now regular (G1 Premium), the gas engine is direct injection 12.5:1 compression with 75kW (up from 62kW) and much quieter and smoother operation.
    The battery is larger, bumped to 18.4kWh and is EPA rated at 53 miles of all electric range.
    Undocumented bump in electric motor power to 120kW up from 111kW.
    Carplay, Android Auto, and 2017 has optional radar and vision based adaptive cruise with automatic emergency braking.

Etc, etc. The Gen2 shares virtually no parts with the Gen1. They re-engineered the entire car.
    I'm aware of all of that, and those are great improvements. But to me, the exterior styling took such a massive step down that it negates any other improvements. Plus the Gen1's are really affordable right now.

"I don't understand why anyone who really weighed all the options would even consider the i3. "

Well I drove one last weekend and it really impressed me. Driving dynamics are really important to me. The handling and acceleration were fun. I love the roomy airy interior styling. The harman kardon stereo. The tech package with adaptive cruise control. Lots of bells and whistles that come on a luxury car. And the fact that they are so cheap right now makes it really tempting. I live in a warm climate so I'd get the most out of the small battery.

We would have another car for long commutes. It would just be our city car.

I still need to test drive the gen1 volt to make a fair comparison. The used gen1 volt is even cheaper than the used i3.

One problem is I'm VERY picky about which volt I want. The ONLY one I'd buy would be a 2013-2015 black Gen1, with beige leather and bose stereo. This particular setup seems to be very rare on autotrader and cars.com. There are plenty with black leather interiors, but I've had a black/black car before and it just got too hot inside in a warm climate like socal.
    Last edited by slipnslider; 1 Week Ago at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The M3 might be the best car in several ways, but I would personally rule it out based on the unknown waiting period. You don't really know when production will start, how quickly it will ramp up, or how many buyers are really in front of you. You also don't know what the price will be or if they will be optioned up to an unreasonable level. I also think it is doubtful that the tax credit will not have run out by then (if it is not cancelled all together before).

I think you should decide from the other choices and then consider the M3 for your next car. Unless you are perfectly happy with your current car and it is still relatively new.
    My current car is an Infinity G35 with 100k miles. It's still a good car so I'm not under immediate pressure to replace it, but it's just starting to come into that phase where repairs will become more expensive and more frequent. This is the time when I usually like to let a car go. I prefer to be the second owner and keep them from about 20k-110k. It's been a good car but I want to go electric.

I think I'll wait to make my final decision until I find out my place in line for the M3, find out what my tax credit would be, and maybe even get to test drive the M3. In the meantime I want to test the Gen1 volt and figure out my backup plan.

Advertisement

We have both an i3 and Volt now. Both 2017's and both with range extenders.

My wife didn't like the i3's looks either at first. Now it's grown on her. She also really likes the Volt's looks and thinks it's quiet and comfortable.

The i3 is definitely far sportier in feel to me. It feels nimbler, quicker in reaction, and lighter on its feet. Mostly because it is. It's some 600 lbs lighter than the Volt at least.

You also sit up taller and have a far better view out the windows than you do with the Volt. So it feels more airy and open than the Volt does.

I personally am not a big fan of how the Volt feels or drives. It's smooth, competent, and quick. But it doesn't feel nimble, is a bare to park for me (you will most definitely get rim rash and dings and dents with this car at the extremities), charges slower, carries more dead-weight around, and has a smaller tighter feeling cabin than the i3.

On the other hand, the i3 has its own quirks. The infotainment system is incredibly bad compared to the Volt's. Truly truly bad interface IMO. The inability to reduce strong regen can be tiring at times but helpful in stop and go traffic. The suicide doors are novel but get a bit old after a while...but they match this car well.

Obviously you can go a lot further overall with the Volt. But for 2017, the i3 can do 114 miles EPA rated electric range. We are getting around 130 per charge. However, I'm getting about 75 miles per charge with my Volt. But it charges agonizingly slowly....pitiful actually in this day and age.

The reliability of the i3 is fine. I know there have been a couple of recalls and an issue with the REX model. But BMW takes care of these things quickly and offers good service to its customers provided you find a good dealer. Chevy dealers on the other hand are a real crap shoot.

Has your fiancé driven the i3? It's a really really fun car to drive.

BTW, what's your budget? Would you be willing to lease a new car and just get the State credit? I got a very good deal on our i3...actually considering the sticker price and the fact that no other BMW dealer was able or willing to even come close.
    My budget varies wildly. I'm willing to pay much more for a tesla than I would for a chevy or i3. I've never bought a new car. The only reason I'm even considering the tesla M3 is because I can probably get the full fed and state refunds, totalling $10k. No way I'd buy one without that. And I'd get a pretty basic model - no dual motors or larger battery. Hopefully about $30-35k after the tax credits.

I'm not willing to spend that much on a NON-tesla EV, and I would only consider used models which have depreciated drastically. If I don't get the tesla, I'd rather keep it around $15-20k, which is why I'm looking at used Gen1 volts, and used i3's.

I do love the way the i3 performs. On the one quick test drive I took, I didn't mind the strong regen. I love the open airy, futuristic feel inside. The infotainment system didn't bother me too much. I'd really like to find on with the harman karmon stereo though, which seems like a pretty rare option. I think a dealer nearby does the extended test drives so I plan to do that in a couple weeks and see if I can get the fiance to see why I like the i3 so much.

As for the volt, I haven't driven one yet, but your description sounds about like what I expect. Slightly cramped interior, poor visibility, less exciting performance, but the gas range is a HUGE plus. I wouldn't have to use the gas engine much, but not having to plan around my battery capacity is a major factor.

I think the tesla M3 will depreciate much slower than the i3 and volt did, but one possibility is getting a used volt now, then a used M3 in 3-4 years. I'll miss out on the tax rebate, but it seems that those rebates actually contribute the lower resale value.

It's going to be hard to make any decision until I can price and test drive an M3, but I just want to go in with all the information I need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 4 11 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text