MSO but used
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MSO but used

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,843

    Default MSO but used

    Ok, I have been around as long as anyone. I am 99% confident that this works, but would like to hear from you guys as well. I have found a car that is being sold as used. It will be marked as used on the paper work. It has several thousand miles but is under 10k. The dealer has the MSO. The carfax verifies it has never been titled. What is your opinion. My opinion is "Yes, it qualifies because of the MSO and has never been titled" Although in the back of my mind, I can't help but worry because the dealer isn't budging on their opinion of the tax credit. The dealer states used cars don't qualify and this car is used. Honestly though, I can't afford a 7.5 mistake if audited. But again, I am extremely confident this works under the IRS rules as I would be the first owner and the first title holder. The dealer openly states the car has never been titled and they have the MSO.

    Thoughts...and what is it worth? It is a 2017 with everything but ACC.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    I would also like to add...not only is this car being sold as used, it is being sold as CPO. I cannot see why that would make any difference but it is there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    longmont, colorado
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    If it has never been titled, has them so, it is still new. Our 2011 was a demonstrater with 5k miles, but was still considered new. Same as this!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

  5. Advertisement

  6. #4

    Default

    firehawk72,

    I am in the same situation and posted the question a few weeks ago. From the response of many board members, you will get the tax credit as long as you are the first title holder. I confirmed this with a dealer and regional manager as well.

    The issue for me is that none of the 2017 MSO's that I've found have Adaptive Cruise Control. For me, I'm not going to buy the Volt without it. I test drove one with ACC and I was sold. I didn't get much time with it, but it really seems like great feature in commuting traffic.

    Now that my Volt search has gone on longer that I anticipated, I am now considering an ELR. I think I found one, just trying to decide at what price the ELR is s great deal over the extra EV mileage of the Volt.

    TIA

    Homer

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk72 View Post
    Thoughts...and what is it worth? It is a 2017 with everything but ACC.
    I'd use the following justification for offer:

    Assuming $40K MSRP
    New car discounts averaging $6K (substitute legit avg for your area)
    One year's depreciation 20% ($34K x .2) = $6.8K
    Loss of $7500 tax credit
    Final Value $19.7K

    Then I'd take the credit and net out to $12.2K. Don't convince them that they are wrong about the credit.
    2013 Volt

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
    firehawk72,

    I am in the same situation and posted the question a few weeks ago. From the response of many board members, you will get the tax credit as long as you are the first title holder. I confirmed this with a dealer and regional manager as well.

    The issue for me is that none of the 2017 MSO's that I've found have Adaptive Cruise Control. For me, I'm not going to buy the Volt without it. I test drove one with ACC and I was sold. I didn't get much time with it, but it really seems like great feature in commuting traffic.

    Now that my Volt search has gone on longer that I anticipated, I am now considering an ELR. I think I found one, just trying to decide at what price the ELR is s great deal over the extra EV mileage of the Volt.

    TIA

    Homer
    Yeah, I came home and discussed it with my wife. I am not going to pursue it for two reasons even though I am 99.9% confident that the tax credit is good to go on this car.

    1) No adaptive Cruise Control
    2) I would have to pick up a payment at this time and would rather pay cash instead

    I will keep saving at this time as my wife and I are really wanting a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid too. For anyone interested in this car, I will post it now that we have for sure decided to wait.

    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=161765699

  9. #7

    Default

    firehawk72,

    That funny to see the one you were looking at. I was working with Patrick from Donohoo on the that exact one and was minutes away from putting the deposit down on it. Then I found out it didn't have ACC so I decided not to move forward.

    From the experience I had with the dealer on the phone and emails, I would buy from them, I continue to monitor their stock daily and hope that one comes available soon.

    TIA

    Homer

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
    firehawk72,

    That funny to see the one you were looking at. I was working with Patrick from Donohoo on the that exact one and was minutes away from putting the deposit down on it. Then I found out it didn't have ACC so I decided not to move forward.

    From the experience I had with the dealer on the phone and emails, I would buy from them, I continue to monitor their stock daily and hope that one comes available soon.

    TIA

    Homer
    Yeah, very upfront and quick responses. PM sent to you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Similar Threads

  1. Should the cert of origin (MSO) have anyinfo on it?
    By Slave to Opec in forum Buying, Leasing & Selling - Chevy Volt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2016, 02:18 PM
  2. Three 2016 Premiers with MSO's Intact
    By WS-Mtns in forum Buying, Leasing & Selling - Chevy Volt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2016, 09:21 PM
  3. MSO and Dealer name on title certificate ??
    By WS-Mtns in forum Buying, Leasing & Selling - Chevy Volt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2016, 05:07 PM
  4. Illinois - MSO Question
    By chooseopen in forum Buying, Leasing & Selling - Chevy Volt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 04:09 AM
  5. Warranty and MSO for Dummies (Like Me)
    By ssjimbo in forum Buying, Leasing & Selling - Chevy Volt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2014, 07:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts