Testdrive in a Diesel Cruze
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Testdrive in a Diesel Cruze

Hybrid View

Default Testdrive in a Diesel Cruze

2017 with leather package.

This was a short test drive. The plastic was still on the seats, just off the truck on Saturday.

Pros

Diesel knock is absent, just as advertised.
    9 speed automatic shifts smoothly - double clutch technology works. You have to get on the "oil" to make it downshift forcibly enough to feel it.
    Stop-start technology.
    Diesel torque + 9 speeds - pretty good acceleration

Cons
    Low pitch engine rumble is always there - in no way is this silent propulsion.

Normally I would go with the Volt but the choice is not so clearcut here. There's zero state incentives, I'd have to buy the Volt and get 0% financing to go along with a modest amount of manufacturer's incentives. Even with the fed tax credit it's stretching to make the number close enough.
    D-2274
    Shocker
    Midland MI

What about a used 2016 Volt? Picked one up here in western North Carolina back in January for $21k. That's a few thousand less than the MSRP of a new Cruze Diesel and you'll get 53 electric miles and 42-mpg when running on much cheaper regular gas rather than the more expensive diesel fuel.

Plus don't you have to pay for that after treatment refill on occasion? I can't see how the math can work out in the Cruze Diesel's favor.

The Volt even beats it in performance, Volt = 149 HP / 294 Torque, Cruze Diesel = 137 HP / 240 Torque.

What am I missing here?
    Last edited by TheBlueFlash; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:13 PM.
    ***2016 Volt - Kinetic Blue Metallic, LT, w/ Comfort Package and Bose***
    ***2013 Volt - Blue Topaz Metallic, Premium w/Safety Pkg 1 & 2***

I hate to be near a running diesel, let alone own one.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by colchiro View Post
    Why? There isn't much better than a deleted diesel.

I think some folk need an introduction to high pressure common rail w/ pilot injection.
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by colchiro View Post
    having owned two TDI VWs recently I don't see why. You could sit behind it when running and only feel warm air, not a smell at all. Gasoline engines produce a noticeable scent when running, catalytic converter and all.

with regards to be big VW TDI screw up, oddly even at their worst levels they were far far cleaner than any model from 2009 or before

I did some more reading online and perused the owners manual.

Emissions - the car meets Tier 3 Bin 125 standard (whatever that is). That I think is the 2025 standard so it's way ahead of the curve.
    If you run low on the DEF, the car will first warn you, then as the tank nears empty, will reduce propulsion to 65 mph, 55 mph, till eventually it's 4! mph. Basically you can't ignore the NOx reduction system without consequences.

EPA rating is 31 city 47 highway with automatic. Based on my experience with Chevy cars I'd expect 50 at a steady 70 mph after break-in. By big city standards my traffic at worst would be considered "light to moderate" so I think I would average 40ish.
    D-2274
    Shocker
    Midland MI

This is a good comparison summary of gas vs. Diesel pollutants:

--
    Gas and Diesel are both derived from the same substance, oil pumped out of the ground.

Gas requires more refinement, and thus has a greater impact in the creation of pollution during its production. On the other side, Diesel requires less refinement, and when contrasted with gas, causes less contamination during refinement. Both gas and Diesel make an ecological impact during the production process.

The six fundamental contaminates discharged by gas and Diesel vehicles are:

1. Carbon Dioxide - Diesel vehicles, compared with gas vehicles, emit less CO2 in light of the fact that diesel vehicles expend less fuel. CO2 is (allegedly) the fundamental driver for a worldwide temperature alteration.
    2. Carbon Monoxide - Diesel engines produce no CO. Gas engines produce CO. This is a deadly, toxic substance that poisons the central nervous system, causes coronary disease and general feeling of weakness and/or nausea.
    3. Nitrogen Oxide - Nitrogen is one of the primary components of air. However, when exposed to high temperatures and pressures, it binds with oxygen to form nitrous oxide. Diesel engines discharge this to a greater degree. Dentists use NO (laughing gas) to ease tension and stress in some patients. In low doses it simply causes a feeling of euphoria. In very high doses it can cause death due to asphyxia. This is not generally a concern with Diesel or gas vehicles.
    4. Hydrocarbons - Benzene is transmitted considerably more by gas engines because it is added to gas during production. This is a known cancer-causing agent. Inhalation can lead to drowsiness, dizziness, headaches, tremors, confusion, and/or unconsciousness. In extreme cases, inhaling or swallowing very high levels of benzene can be deadly.
    5. Suspended Particulate Matter - These are the small particles of ash suspended in the exhaust. Diesel engines emit more of this matter. These are cancer-causing in nature and can cause respiratory issues.
    6. Lead - Emitted from older gas vehicles and airplanes. Influences the central nervous system, kidneys and heart.
    Diesel vehicles emit more: nitrogen oxides, suspended particulate matter.
    Gas vehicles emit more: carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, lead.
    201x Tesla Model 3 Reservation
    2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
    2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ Dually

For the technically inclined here is an explanation of Tier 3

www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t3.php
    D-2274
    Shocker
    Midland MI

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueFlash View Post
    What about a used 2016 Volt? Picked one up here in western North Carolina back in January for $21k. That's a few thousand less than the MSRP of a new Cruze Diesel and you'll get 53 electric miles and 42-mpg when running on much cheaper regular gas rather than the more expensive diesel fuel.

Plus don't you have to pay for that after treatment refill on occasion? I can't see how the math can work out in the Cruze Diesel's favor.

The Volt even beats it in performance, Volt = 149 HP / 294 Torque, Cruze Diesel = 137 HP / 240 Torque.

What am I missing here?
    Answers
    There are no 2016 Volts here - Michigan didn't get Gen 2 until well after the 2017 rollout started.
    Diesel is marginally more expensive per gallon than regular (here) and occasionally the prices invert - diesel is cheaper.
    Cruze looks to be about 600 lbs lighter than a Volt. Hence less hp needed.
    This car is right out the factory and the salesman was sitting next to me so I didn't do anything zesty with the loud pedal other than force the tranny to downshift just to get a feel of the smoothness of shifting.
    D-2274
    Shocker
    Midland MI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text