Testdrive in a Diesel Cruze
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Testdrive in a Diesel Cruze

Default Testdrive in a Diesel Cruze

2017 with leather package.

This was a short test drive. The plastic was still on the seats, just off the truck on Saturday.

Pros

Diesel knock is absent, just as advertised.
    9 speed automatic shifts smoothly - double clutch technology works. You have to get on the "oil" to make it downshift forcibly enough to feel it.
    Stop-start technology.
    Diesel torque + 9 speeds - pretty good acceleration

Cons
    Low pitch engine rumble is always there - in no way is this silent propulsion.

Normally I would go with the Volt but the choice is not so clearcut here. There's zero state incentives, I'd have to buy the Volt and get 0% financing to go along with a modest amount of manufacturer's incentives. Even with the fed tax credit it's stretching to make the number close enough.
    D-2274
    Shocker
    Midland MI

What about a used 2016 Volt? Picked one up here in western North Carolina back in January for $21k. That's a few thousand less than the MSRP of a new Cruze Diesel and you'll get 53 electric miles and 42-mpg when running on much cheaper regular gas rather than the more expensive diesel fuel.

Plus don't you have to pay for that after treatment refill on occasion? I can't see how the math can work out in the Cruze Diesel's favor.

The Volt even beats it in performance, Volt = 149 HP / 294 Torque, Cruze Diesel = 137 HP / 240 Torque.

What am I missing here?
    Last edited by TheBlueFlash; 03-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    ***2016 Volt - Kinetic Blue Metallic, LT, w/ Comfort Package and Bose***
    ***2013 Volt - Blue Topaz Metallic, Premium w/Safety Pkg 1 & 2***

I hate to be near a running diesel, let alone own one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by colchiro View Post
    I hate to be near a running diesel, let alone own one.
    Why? There isn't much better than a deleted diesel.

I think some folk need an introduction to high pressure common rail w/ pilot injection.
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueFlash View Post
    What about a used 2016 Volt? Picked one up here in western North Carolina back in January for $21k. That's a few thousand less than the MSRP of a new Cruze Diesel and you'll get 53 electric miles and 42-mpg when running on much cheaper regular gas rather than the more expensive diesel fuel.

Plus don't you have to pay for that after treatment refill on occasion? I can't see how the math can work out in the Cruze Diesel's favor.

The Volt even beats it in performance, Volt = 149 HP / 294 Torque, Cruze Diesel = 137 HP / 240 Torque.

What am I missing here?
    Answers
    There are no 2016 Volts here - Michigan didn't get Gen 2 until well after the 2017 rollout started.
    Diesel is marginally more expensive per gallon than regular (here) and occasionally the prices invert - diesel is cheaper.
    Cruze looks to be about 600 lbs lighter than a Volt. Hence less hp needed.
    This car is right out the factory and the salesman was sitting next to me so I didn't do anything zesty with the loud pedal other than force the tranny to downshift just to get a feel of the smoothness of shifting.
    D-2274
    Shocker
    Midland MI

Do we know what the official EPA / mpg figures are for the new 2017-18 Cruze diesel?

I still think it pretty hard to beat the 2016-17 Volt, and with the Fed Tax Credit, $7,500, along with any state tax credits / rebates, can bring the price down to $20,000 or so, maybe even less in some cases.

Even running just on good ole 87 octane our 2016 Volt still delivered over 48 mpg, just on the gas engine, on a recent 235 mile round trip, another 60 miles on electric....

Diesel is also anywhere from .10 to .20 cents more per gallon than 87 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by alfon View Post

Diesel is also anywhere from .10 to .20 cents more per gallon than 87 octane.
    But diesel will return much better MPG along with many other benefits with the only downsides are entry price and difficulty deleting the destructive emissions system.

It really depends on what is most important to you...

Diesel
    Pros - fantastic range and highway efficiency, engines tend to last forever, torquey drive
    Cons - urea refills, continued complete dependence on oil, expensive high pressure injections systems, emissions worse than gas

Volt
    Pros - silent/fun electric drive, very low gas consumption depending on usage, respectable efficiency when on gas
    Cons - expensive Voltec parts once out of warranty, compact car, need a plug at home (apartment/city living difficult)

If I was a travelling salesmen, I'd maybe lean towards a diesel. I used to really want one, but got tired of waiting for the ones I liked to come out (Mazda 6 diesel wagon, never came out in US), and then I tried my friend's Volt. Most of us here find electric propulsion rather addictive, it would be hard to go back. Good luck with your choice!
    2013 Summit White with comfort package. Picked up 9/6/13.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content .

Advertisement

There is a couple more issues with diesels.

Not all gas stations have diesel pumps, and sometimes you must wait because gas cars have taken the 1 or 2 diesel pumps, even when the other 7 pumps are empty.

Fuel filters must be changed on a routine basis.

Turbochargers often have a shorter warranty than the engine does. Read your warranty carefully.

Diesel fuel can 'gel' when it gets really cold, and this will strand you.

I love our diesels, but there are some drawbacks over gas engines. Their big advantage is that they are not hurt as bad by high output use. Heavy payloads, high speeds, mountains, high altitudes, see a small loss of MPG than you see in gas engines. Turbo diesels love high altitude compared to naturally aspirated gas cars.

That being said, the Volts are a better fit for our family. Gas is everywhere, but for normal driving we seldom use gas anyways.
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text