Consumer reports gen2 volt reliability
Grab our Forum Feed

Thread: Consumer reports gen2 volt reliability

\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \n
\r\n wildgoose\r\n \r\n
\r\n \n\r\n \nwildgoose is offline\r\n\r\n \n\r\n \r\n \r\n Senior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n

\r\n Default Consumer reports gen2 volt reliability\r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n I was browsing through CR\'s latest auto issue, and noticed they mentioned the gen2\'s reliability as being worst than the first generation Volt.
\r\n
\r\nAnyone know what are some of the issues gen2 owers had with the Volt?
\r\n
\r\nMy 2013 Volt has been very reliable. I would imagine the gen2 to be similar in reliability, but won\'t be surprised if the gen2 is designed to a particular price print more so than the gen1, and whether that has resulted in any reduction in reliability because cheaper components were used.\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \n \n'; pd[3948265] = '\n\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #2\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n Qinsp\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \n\r\n \nQinsp is offline\r\n\r\n \n\r\n \r\n \r\n Senior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n Default \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by wildgoose\r\n View Post\r\n
    \r\n
    I was browsing through CR\'s latest auto issue, and noticed they mentioned the gen2\'s reliability as being worst than the first generation Volt.
    \n
    \nAnyone know what are some of the issues gen2 owers had with the Volt?
    \n
    \nMy 2013 Volt has been very reliable. I would imagine the gen2 to be similar in reliability, but won\'t be surprised if the gen2 is designed to a particular price print more so than the gen1, and whether that has resulted in any reduction in reliability because cheaper components were used.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nIf their reliability number include Infotainment issues, most cars that support Carplay and Android Auto are experiencing higher service rates.
    \n
    \nIf you had a 2016 Volt, you needed to visit the dealer for a free reflash to get upgraded to Android Auto.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    \r\nTesla Model 3 Reserved
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n \n \n'; pd[3948329] = '\n\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #3\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n wildgoose\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \n\r\n \nwildgoose is offline\r\n\r\n \n\r\n \r\n \r\n Senior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n Default \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by Qinsp\r\n View Post\r\n
    \r\n
    If their reliability number include Infotainment issues, most cars that support Carplay and Android Auto are experiencing higher service rates.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nOk that\'s not even an issue in my book. I am more worried about traditional hardware auto issues like engine/transmission/suspension/breaks/leaks/etc... Hardware failure related to these software is an issue for me (ie if the volume knob stops working), but in general I am not worried about software updates to fix minor issues.
    \n
    \nSo does the gen2 have any hardware related issues compare to gen1?\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n \n \n'; pd[3948337] = '\n\n\r\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n

\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n

Advertisement

\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #4\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n DonC\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \n\r\n \nDonC is offline\r\n\r\n \n\r\n \r\n \r\n Moderator\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n Default \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I think it was the "chuggle" issue for the first cars.
    \n
    \nI think you\'re right that the first gen is more tank like, though not necessarily more reliable (remember the heating issues after the first year or two). This happens a lot with new products. Without knowing the most likely failure points, the first generation has some belt and suspenders construction. Then the engineers figure they know where they can cut costs. Happens a lot and not just with cars.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n \n \n'; pd[3948377] = '\n\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #5\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n srs5694\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \n\r\n \nsrs5694 is offline\r\n\r\n \n\r\n \r\n \r\n Senior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n Default \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n The detailed CR reliability data for the 2016 Volt shows the worst problems with:
    \n
    • Engine Minor
    • \n
    • Body Integrity
    • \n
    • Audio System
    • \n

\nThus, as Qinsp suggests, at least part of it may be the infotainment system. It\'s unclear from what I see on the CR Web site precisely what types of engine and body integrity issues might exist. There are lesser problems in some other areas, too, such as the fuel and electrical systems, paint, and power equipment. Note that it\'s hard to spot problems in specific areas in new cars; they\'re so reliable overall that the number of problems in specific areas is tiny, making that determination harder than spotting issues with models as a whole.
    \n
    \nNote also that most cars suffer from reliability problems after a major redesign, and they usually get better with time. We don\'t yet know how (or even if) the 2017s and later years will fare. With any luck, the 2016 will have simply had more "teething problems" than most newly-redesigned cars.
    \n
    \nFWIW, when I fill out my own CR survey for my 2017 Volt, I\'ll have to give it an infotainment system "ding"; my car arrived with a dead USB port, which took two trips to the dealer to fix. (One for diagnosis; but they lacked a part, so I had to bring it back again a few days later for the actual repair.)\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n \n \n'; // next/previous post info pn[3948241] = "3962833,3948265"; pn[0] = ",3948241"; pn[3948265] = "3948241,3948329"; pn[3948329] = "3948265,3948337"; pn[3948337] = "3948329,3948377"; pn[3948377] = "3948337,3948785"; pn[3948785] = "3948377,3962833"; pn[3962833] = "3948785,3948241"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[36737] = "wildgoose"; pu[53362] = "Qinsp"; pu[1712] = "DonC"; pu[204098] = "srs5694"; pu[186225] = "TheBlueFlash"; pu[6256] = "imanjunk1963"; pu[8806] = "Steverino"; pu[190985] = "paul2pilot"; pu[138514] = "Bacardi"; pu[61729] = "Toolworker"; pu[192657] = "bjrosen"; pu[151354] = "Marc401"; // -->

Threaded View

Default Consumer reports gen2 volt reliability

I was browsing through CR's latest auto issue, and noticed they mentioned the gen2's reliability as being worst than the first generation Volt.

Anyone know what are some of the issues gen2 owers had with the Volt?

My 2013 Volt has been very reliable. I would imagine the gen2 to be similar in reliability, but won't be surprised if the gen2 is designed to a particular price print more so than the gen1, and whether that has resulted in any reduction in reliability because cheaper components were used.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
      Increase Size
    • Remove Text Formatting
    • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
    • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text