So freeway driving...
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So freeway driving...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsherpa View Post
    I'm confused by this comment... Volt still does the same regen in Hold mode. There is no advantage to switch in and out of Hold to regen down a hill
    I see your point on this comment. The only thing I can come up with as to the benefit of switching back to normal rather than keeping it in hold would be to reset the hold threshold. I.E. you engage hold mode with 4 bars remaining, regen to 6 bars by the end of the descent. By keeping in hold mode would use the excess 2 bars before reengaging the ICE. Switching to normal would reset the hold threshold to 6 if hold was engaged at the bottom of the descent giving you that much more available for more efficient use than on a freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Taser54 View Post
    Given that the charging cord stows away beneath the trunk floor, why leave it at home?
    I was just pointing out that the Level I EVSE would be of little use on this particular trip while a spare tire and tire changing kit would be a good thing to have when far from home.

I never carry my Level I EVSE in my Volt so I don't think about where it could be stored. In the Gen II Volt there is a storage compartment on the left side of hatch storage area for the EVSE. I use this space to store other car stuff.
    Drive electrically and enjoy the difference!

As others have commented, I use EV in cities and Hold on the freeways. However, when going up & down hills & in CC, I use Low going down the hill as it maintains the speed I selected otherwise the speed increases, in hold in D, going down hill.
    2016 LT: HGM: Light Ash/Dark Ash: Purchased from Rydell VIN xxGU119792

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsherpa View Post
    I'm confused by this comment... Volt still does the same regen in Hold mode. There is no advantage to switch in and out of Hold to regen down a hill (well, ok, the computer will probably report the regen'd miles as gas miles if you're in Hold, but that's just odd bookkeeping, you're getting the same regen amount either way). Now if you engaged Hold with a completely full battery and then drove to a long descent, you'd quickly hit a situation where the computer won't allow more energy into the battery (because it's full), so regen will stop. So when you anticipate a long descent, it could be beneficial to only engage Hold once you have drawn the battery down a few bars so the unusually large amount of regen has somewhere to go.
    If you leave it in Hold Mode while going downhill, you do get the same effects from regen, but at the bottom of the hill, the ICE will shut off because your battery is now above your 'hold setting". It will use the battery only until it's SOC returns to your "hold setting point". By switching to EV Mode on the downhill side then re-engaging Hold Mode at the bottom of the hill you reset the Hold Mode SOC to the new higher level. You received some "gravity sourced" free charge into the battery.
    2017 Premier Siren Red - H 0157 - Hidden Content Born 2/01/16 - Delivered 2/27/2016 Hidden Content
    2013 Crystal Red - D 2516 - Delivered 10/16/2012 .... Returned to Ally 11/07/2015
    U235 Powered

Quote Originally Posted by TSquare View Post
    If you leave it in Hold Mode while going downhill, you do get the same effects from regen, but at the bottom of the hill, the ICE will shut off because your battery is now above your 'hold setting". It will use the battery only until it's SOC returns to your "hold setting point". By switching to EV Mode on the downhill side then re-engaging Hold Mode at the bottom of the hill you reset the Hold Mode SOC to the new higher level. You received some "gravity sourced" free charge into the battery.
    You also get to count your mileage as EV (on the energy display) if you care about such things. Otherwise it counts the mileage as ICE even though you aren't burning any gas.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJ View Post
    You also get to count your mileage as EV (on the energy display) if you care about such things. Otherwise it counts the mileage as ICE even though you aren't burning any gas.
    But your MPGcs will be awesome.
    2012 Standard w/ Navigation

Quote Originally Posted by TSquare View Post
    But if you plan on using all your charge by the time you reach your next charging station (and you should), there is no difference. The regen gets used to move the car the exact same amount in either scenario (it may show a difference on the screen, but that's just funny bookkeeping).

Edit: I see above where someone commented that you could use that method to save the extra bars of regen for use in non-highway driving where they are a bit more efficient. I concede that point, though it's a small benefit and I don't think it's worth playing these games (IMHO, others are free to disagree). Perhaps if I found myself in a scenario where I had only a few bars, a long descent, and knew I was going to be doing a ton of city driving w/o the opportunity to recharge... maybe I would do this. Not likely anywhere in my half of the country.
    Last edited by flyingsherpa; 03-20-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    2013 Summit White with comfort package. Picked up 9/6/13.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

So how many actually tote along a spare? This is the first no spare without run flats but I cannot honestly remember the last time I had a flat except on my bike

LRR tires have thinner plies. A nail that would bent against a regular steel radial often will go into a LRR tire.

I put self-sealing tires on the 2017 and 2016. So far so good. We have had 4? flat tires in 4 years with 3 Volts. None in the pickups.
    Mnage trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

12. Advertisement

I just drove in hold mode and didn't bother looking for charge opportunities. I had too much else to do anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text