MyChevy App sucks
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MyChevy App sucks

Default MyChevy App sucks

It is possibly the most useless thing I have used to date. Car is awesome, but the app is abysmal.

Anything else out there that I can use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is abysmal about it? The Look and Feel (Form), or how it operates (Function)?

If this is about how it operates, there are multiple factors that can affect your experience
    -> Your mobile signal to internet
    -> Your cars signal to ATT network
    -> OnStar server load
    -> OnStar internet connection
    -> ATT network status

You see, the app operates in what is commonly called asynchronous mode. This means that when you log into the app and press a button to, say, remote start the car, the app has to first authenticate with OnStar.

If that succeeds, because it is a Start action, OnStar then asks for a PIN. If both are correct, then OnStar adds your Start request to a queue, which is processed by one of several OnStar servers. How soon your request is processed can depend on a variety of factors (like how many people are using the app at the time, etc).

When your request is processed from the queue, OnStar attempts to communicate with your vehicle over ATT network. This can take some time. Once communication is established, your vehicle authenticates and makes sure that it is indeed OnStar making the request. Once that determination is made, your car receives the Start request. It takes a few seconds to process that, and once it has determined that a Start happened successfully, it sends a confirmation message to OnStar. This is stored in another message queue on OnStar side. OnStar server reads that message and lets your app know that restart is complete.

As you can see, it is quite a series of steps .. and all of them have to happen without a hitch for the app to work as intended, and even then, it is slow (because it is asynchronous communication). OnStar uses 4G technology for newer vehicles (like Gen 2 Volt). For older Volts, it actually uses a crude form of text messaging to communicate with the vehicle. I am actually surprised that the app works as well as it does, given all the complexities.

Having said that, if you are having consistent failures with your app, maybe there is something that OnStar needs to fix on their end. Mis-configurations are not un-common. Or it could be bad hardware, or an issue on the phone, or an issue with ATT signals where you park, or something else.
    Last edited by telveer; 3 Days Ago at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlevy View Post
    It is possibly the most useless thing I have used to date. Car is awesome, but the app is abysmal.

You can try the Onstar RemoteLink app. But, it is no longer supported. Both apps work quite well for me except the reported lifetime MPG is currently incorrect.
    2017 Premium Siren Red - H 0157 - Hidden Content Born 2/01/16 - Delivered 2/27/2016 Hidden Content
    2013 Crystal Red - D 2516 - Delivered 10/16/2012 .... Returned to Ally 11/07/2015
    U235 Powered

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I have to heartily disagree. The remote start feature alone makes it worthwhile. The vehicle location function is great. The remote locking and unlocking provides peace of mind. Charging status, tire pressure, code reading, checking for recall notices.

Frankly, I see little support for your assertion.

It may perhaps be that I am pretty new to all this..admittedly, I probably jumped the gun on my assessment of the app...

I think the app works quite well. My problem is with the car. We have no AT&T signal where we live, so the app doesn't work unless we are an hour away from home.
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ Dually
    2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i
    2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier

Quote Originally Posted by SSonnentag View Post
    I think the app works quite well. My problem is with the car. We have no AT&T signal where we live, so the app doesn't work unless we are an hour away from home.
    Not sure if you use AT&T yourself .. you may be able to get a MicroCell from ATT
    https://www.att.com/att/microcell/

Works fine on my Galaxy S7, rarely has an issue.
    Joe

Hidden Content

Gen 1 Wind Buffeting fix - Hidden Content
    Rotor/Stator bearing replacement - Hidden Content
    GM Warranty Hidden Content
    GM Owners Manuals Hidden Content

You only say this because you have not seen the Nissan app so don't know what "useless" really means!

On a serious note...both apps leave a lot to be desired. Clearly GM and Nissan's strong suits are building cars, not building apps. And that's probably not a bad thing.

At least with Nissan there are some third party apps that while still stuck with the crappy/slow API provided with Nissan actually make the user experience tolerable. Things like auto-updating each hour while charging is detected, and single button press widget to remote start HVAC. I don't know if there are any suitable replacements for the Volt (if there are, please let me know).

12. Advertisement

It is possibly the most useless thing ..., the app is abysmal.
    As a BEV driver it is important to me to be in contact with the car. It does everything I could ask for !! Consistently. Good cell coverage for the car in my area?

What do you expect this app to do for you?
    Last edited by Norton; 2 Days Ago at 06:34 PM.
    '14 Spark EV w/DCFC
    In the middle of the country,
    far from any of its sibs,
    feeding off free electrons, mostly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text