Hook phone to external antenna
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hook phone to external antenna

Default Hook phone to external antenna

My 2014 volt doesn't have the option for LTE. So was curious if anybody attached a normal phone to the external antenna. It would be nice to get some use out of it for an old cell phone. I have a plan for my iPad and plenty of archaic phones to rig up to the car itself. It could theoretically find power in many different places in the car, but wasn't sure where to attach it to the external antenna.

Why would you need the external antenna? Wouldn't the phones original antenna work just fine?

Our house is on the edge of cell service. I had to install a weboost, but even that only covers one room of the house. I think the bigger antenna will dramatically increase service to my house. Also would be nice for that antanne to do more than let OnStar spy on me

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Gotcha. Unless your handheld phone has an antenna port, which my understanding is that almost all modern phones don't have that feature, you may need a dedicated antenna since I'm not aware of any sort of Y cable that will attach to the existing onstar antenna.

For the record, if you have wifi already in the house, most newer phones will automatically connect and complete calls through your wifi network if cell service signal is poor. This is without having to use an extender. I know Verizon has this feature on their Droid models. I'm sure most newer android and iPhones have a similar setting. Not sure with other carriers though.

The antenna must be tuned to the frequency band of the service in use. Your 2014 uses an older Verizon 2G CDMA band. It's matched to that service. Unless you want Verizon 2G service, it's not going to work. I don't think Verizon would even provision you service to use that band anyways. They want to get GM and others off that band ASAP.

Wait. You're in Austin, and you have crappy cell service?!
    Last edited by edk-austin; 03-19-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    Ed
    -2014 Volt, bought new May 2014, Silver Ice, S1, S2, Bose, Nav, Heated Black Leather, Polished Wheels, 3M Window Tint+Windshield IR block, VoltShelf-Mat-Screen, Cabin Air Filter, Red LED interior lighting, 94% EV miles
    -2015 Ford C-Max Energi (wife's car)

EVSEs: Clipper Creek HCS-40
    -2x GM 2014 factory L1, 120/240V L2 mod, 40' cord
    -Off-Grid Solar PV Pulse charger
    -Homebuilt L1, 50', 12AWG, 6/8/12A, electronics integrated into the J1772 handle

5KW Solar PV, Enphase+SolarWorld

Our 2012 was upgraded to 4G from 2G as 2G was being phased out. I'm sure the modification did not involve changing the antennae in any way. I doubt the 2014 would be so different (although the radios are different) but you never know. The factory upgrade was free.

There is also a difference between Canadian Volts and US Volts. US 2011-2014 have 2G Verizon, while CD 2011-2014 have 2G AT&T. AT&T has already terminated the service, while Verizon keeps it active till end of 2019. Ford had AT&T 2G service in the US, and has already updated those cars (or offered to). Not sure what GM will do with 2014 and older Volts in 2019. Note that when GM introduced 4G LTE in 2015, the antenna definitely did change.
    Ed
    -2014 Volt, bought new May 2014, Silver Ice, S1, S2, Bose, Nav, Heated Black Leather, Polished Wheels, 3M Window Tint+Windshield IR block, VoltShelf-Mat-Screen, Cabin Air Filter, Red LED interior lighting, 94% EV miles
    -2015 Ford C-Max Energi (wife's car)

EVSEs: Clipper Creek HCS-40
    -2x GM 2014 factory L1, 120/240V L2 mod, 40' cord
    -Off-Grid Solar PV Pulse charger
    -Homebuilt L1, 50', 12AWG, 6/8/12A, electronics integrated into the J1772 handle

5KW Solar PV, Enphase+SolarWorld

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by edk-austin View Post
    The antenna must be tuned to the frequency band of the service in use. Your 2014 uses an older Verizon 2G CDMA band. It's matched to that service. Unless you want Verizon 2G service, it's not going to work. I don't think Verizon would even provision you service to use that band anyways. They want to get GM and others off that band ASAP.

Wait. You're in Austin, and you have crappy cell service?!
    As an ex-manager of a bunch of computational electromagnetics engineers, I've learned through osmosis that bigger isn't necessarily better, but the size needs to be closely match the wavelength of the signal as edk says. It might be easier to change service providers rather than find a way to plug your cell phone into a better antenna. By the way, don't fall pray to those folks who sell stickers with some fancy patter on it that is supposed to help your reception. Those are snake oil, to be put into the same bucket as that magic wax that de-oxidizes horribly worn paint, or that vortex air turbine system that is supposed tp give you incredible fuel mileage.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Is there possibility of upgrading the cell system if this happened to the 2012 volts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Advertisement

R. Goldberg here :

Take a long stick and duck tape an iPhone to the end
    order a set of Apple wireless bluetooth airpods (wait 6 weeks)
    then hold stick up in the air and make phone calls. :-)

For extra credit use a kite or a balloon.

-----------------
    Thinking llninja my be one of the few that got his BSA radio merit badge.
    http://www.scouting.org/filestore/jo...MB_module1.pdf
    2012 RED Volt VIN:#C-8860 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    09/29/2011 Ordered -- 11/15/2011 took it home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text