Bolt EV vs. Volt?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bolt EV vs. Volt?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post

3. Price, target should have been $29,995, but even if they got it down to $29,995 and could get 500 miles out of it, the overwhelming majority are NOT ready for an EV including those who live in complex's and cannot charge at home or work...
    I'm sure that selling the 200hp, 238mi Bolt for less than the 107hp, 112mi Leaf sounds good on paper but I doubt mfr'g costs support cramming twice the battery, inverter, and motor in for free, and then stuffing $1,550 into the glovebox before shipping them to dealers.

When you look at what you get in a stripped Leaf, or i3, or MS60, the Bolt EV comes up as quite a value.
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

The trend towards uglification of cars is depressing. Basically all SUV's are ugly, prii are ugly, my Leaf was ugly and I never got over it. So the Bolt's ug factor actually should fit right in. Not for me though. I like the looks of the Volt, and so do most people who've seen and ridden in mine. However, in Bolt's case, you have an ugly car with plastic interior at a near $40k pricetag.

For comparison sake, the Jaguar XKE was, IMHO, just about the most beautiful car ever produced. I've wanted one all my life. The XJ-6 was arguably one of the prettiest 4-door sedans on the road. Jaguar has always made beautiful cars. We need more of that.
    Attached Images
    2013 White Diamond, "Hal" Black leather w/white accents, Bose

If the GM engineers can get the Volt to have the electrical range of the Bolt and still have the Generator for another 300 + miles they will have found the perfect combination for those of us that live in rural western states were 400-600 mile trips to visit family are not that uncommon. Volt looks great get compliments in just two weeks of owning it . Bolt as others have said Soccer mom look.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

I see people complaining about the Bolt "styling" and then pointing to a sedan. That's not styling, that's form factor. You want sedan "styling", buy a sedan. The Bolt is not a sedan, wasn't meant to be. I have a sedan (a Volt), now I want a CUV. I certainly expect it to have a CUV form factor, it will not be a sedan. I think the Bolt's CUV styling is arguably as good as any CUV out there.

Regarding the Bolt EV price complaints, I paid the same for my 2011 Volt. And it only gets high 40's EV range on good days.

Regarding the "cheap plastic interior" complaints, the same was said about the Volt. It's still the best car I have ever owned and I have no regrets.

If I had only one car, I'd have a Volt. But as a two-car family, I'll have the best of both worlds, a Volt and a Bolt. The Bolt will replace a Cadillac SRX SUV

Wait 3-4 years and the Bolt's price will come down like the Volt's did. New things will be added as well. Of course the tax credit will likely be gone by then so the net price may end up being the same or higher than today. Of course the current Congress and President may be eager to extend the EV tax credits. I doubt it, but who knows?
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by voganni View Post
    For comparison sake, the Jaguar XKE was, IMHO, just about the most beautiful car ever produced. I've wanted one all my life. The XJ-6 was arguably one of the prettiest 4-door sedans on the road. Jaguar has always made beautiful cars. We need more of that.
    Evidently Mr. Ferrari agreed with you. He made the same statement when the XKE was introduced in 1961.

So why couldn't GM put the Bolt power train in a downside Corvette body style, and then give it a catchy name....

Quote Originally Posted by Qinsp View Post
    I'm sure that selling the 200hp, 238mi Bolt for less than the 107hp, 112mi Leaf sounds good on paper but I doubt mfr'g costs support cramming twice the battery, inverter, and motor in for free, and then stuffing $1,550 into the glovebox before shipping them to dealers.

When you look at what you get in a stripped Leaf, or i3, or MS60, the Bolt EV comes up as quite a value.
    But the mfr'g costs supports an expensive aluminum body, white techie dash and an all new platform...End result? The Bolt looks have a lot in common with the Sparks looks...There's no way of knowing, but what if GM could get the Spark EV to 238 miles for under $29,995 MSRP, would it sell better than the Bolt EV, would GM open up the incentives? That brings up the other point, you point out stripped Leaf/i3/MS60 doesn't have a lot of value but that's basing your assumption off MSRP...Multiple reports say over half lease EVs/PHEVs, the Bolt and even the MS60 do not have favorable leases, the Leaf and i3 on the other-hand can often be leased for HALF of what it costs for the Bolt...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

The trend towards uglification of cars is depressing. Basically all SUV's are ugly, prii are ugly, my Leaf was ugly and I never got over it. So the Bolt's ug factor actually should fit right in. Not for me though. I like the looks of the Volt, and so do most people who've seen and ridden in mine. However, in Bolt's case, you have an ugly car with plastic interior at a near $40k pricetag.

I agree with most everything but do think vehicles have steadily improved looks...Go back a decade, "retro modern" was an ugly experiment, last gen Malibu/Camry/Accord were all horribly vanilla...I know this is a Volt forum but I believe we're all unified that the Gen1 Volt wasn't going to win an automotive beauty contest...SUVs are still red hot, now we get a Maserati SUV and Jag SUV hopefully this encourages the non-Vanilla styling trend to continue...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

I think most people would agree, the E-Type was the best looking car that was ever produced, it's too bad that not even Jaguar can make anything remotely close today (the F type is nice bot it lacks that certain something the E-Type had). The British were masters of beautiful cars in the 50s and 60s, it was unfortunate that they were all so unreliable. I would love an electric MG-B or Spitfire, just saying if anybody is listening.
    2017 Volt Premier

Advertisement

We need a roadster with a bolt drivetrain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text