Bolt EV vs. Volt?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Bolt EV vs. Volt?

Default Bolt EV vs. Volt?

Spring has sprung in S. Cal. Yesterday in a short interval I observed two new Volts with dealer paper plates (one in HOV lane) and NO Bolts to be seen anywhere. I've seen three total on the road here since intro. Could Volt be Bolt's worst sales enemy? Could be. Bolt: expensive; range limited. Volt: incentives; unlimited range. What's going on here? Dealers here are well-stocked with both cars. Uh,oh.

No, GM's terrible lease deals are the Bolts worse enemy! No one in their right mind would take them up on them!
    2017 Heather Grey Premier with all options except ACC and Ambient. Leased 3/5/2016 to replace my leased 2011 Leaf SL-e. 20,000 miles as of 03/15/2017. Tesla Model 3 reserved.

I'm wondering if GM made a blunder with the Bolt's styling? The Bolt is clearly aimed at soccer moms and it might be too early to sell EVs to soccer moms. EVs are still mostly being bought by early adopters, my guess is mostly men, who prefer something more stylish. There may be something else working against the Bolt, the Volt is a much better choice as a first EV than the Bolt, the Bolt is more appealing as a second EV. By that I mean for a first time EV buyer the Volt, with it's unlimited range, is a much safer choice. If someone is looking to trade in there Volt on a new car the Bolt is really appealing, that's because you are already sold on electric drive and would like to have a car that can go much farther on electricity.
    2017 Volt Premier

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Small SUVs are one of the hottest market segments; the Bolt EV is an "about time!" for many who need a more upright and spacious package than the Volt.

The Bolt is not very exiting on the exterior and very under whelming in the interior due to the light gauges and cheap white plastic trim.
    It has a great drive train but does not not come across as a 35-40K car. More in the 20-25K range. Look for an updated front and rear plus dark gauges (white on black) and darker (richer) colored trim on the inside going forward. It doesn't matter how cost effective it is if it looks cheap. The Bolt is in trouble when compared to the Volt. The Volt is much better appointed. Nothing about the Bolt is great except it's acceleration and range.
    2014 Ashen Gray Hidden Content
    Black Leather, all options

Range. Range. Range. If you can purchase two vehicles, then one all-electric is reasonable. However, for the rest of the workers in society, an all-electric will never have enough range as long as the charging infrastructure does not exist.

Like it or not, half of all EVs/PHEVs are sold in the image conscience state of CA...It's also reported that at least half of all EVs/PHEVs are leased and at least half of all luxury cars are leased...So take the California owner who already owns or leases a low $30Ks BMW/Lexus/Acura, even if they were interested in purchasing an EV, how could they go back to a Chevy? You also going to get what perceived a better dealership experience whether sales or service at a luxury dealer...That's why I said before the launch, if GM did nothing else but put Caddy badge and sell and service at Caddy dealers, it would double the Bolt sales...

Top five reasons it isn't selling:
    1. Styling, if they kept the same price/range in a Vette body or an AWD Equinox it would sell double...
    2. Brand, a different brand such as Caddy, GMC, Buick or even create it's new brand would improve both image and dealership experience...
    3. Price, target should have been $29,995, but even if they got it down to $29,995 and could get 500 miles out of it, the overwhelming majority are NOT ready for an EV including those who live in complex's and cannot charge at home or work...

Quote Originally Posted by gaulfinger View Post
    Small SUVs are one of the hottest market segments; the Bolt EV is an "about time!" for many who need a more upright and spacious package than the Volt.
    You're welcome to call the Bolt EV a small SUV, but you're in the minority; it's in the same category as the Honda fit or Nissan Versa...People want a raised suspension, AWD and good looks in their SUV...

Quote Originally Posted by Belgin View Post
    The Bolt is not very exiting on the exterior and very under whelming in the interior due to the light gauges and cheap white plastic trim.
    It has a great drive train but does not not come across as a 35-40K car. More in the 20-25K range. Look for an updated front and rear plus dark gauges (white on black) and darker (richer) colored trim on the inside going forward. It doesn't matter how cost effective it is if it looks cheap. The Bolt is in trouble when compared to the Volt. The Volt is much better appointed. Nothing about the Bolt is great except it's acceleration and range.
    +1...Though I'm not saying the Bolt is in "trouble"; I see the Volt sales continue to increase and GM's original rumored projection of 25K/year in the United States for the Bolt EV...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

Lack of infrastructure and looks of the Bolt are the key. I'm not surprised the Gen 2 Volt is doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am starting to see them regularly on the road here in Silicon Valley. Talking with one of the sales reps at Momentum in San Jose (possibly the largest volume Volt/Bolt dealer in the U.S.) a week ago, he told me that nearly half their Volt/Bolt sales are Bolts. They literally had about 50 Bolts out front on display. And he said they had about another hundred stashed in the back lot and in a couple of parking areas they have around town.

So it really depends on who you talk to.
    2016 Premier - Red/brandy w/DC 1, 2, and Nav (built 10/15)
    Added: Sport pedals, Illum chg port, all weather mats, sill plates, Cruze spare tire...

12. Advertisement

True. A matter of taste. A few people I've talked to really like the looks of the Bolt. I personally can't stand the appearance but love the engineering. I love the flexibility of the Volt and although it's no stunner to look at, I can live with its styling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text